The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 25, 2014, 01:29 PM   #26
scooterw

Same Gun

Hi,

I have the same gun and your is the first I have seen even close to the style I have. I have a shorter front stock but the mag, butt plate, bolt and trigger are all the same. It looks like my grandfather had a different rear site installed. Probably because the original broke. The gun is a great shooter and very accurate. I have enjoyed shooting it since I was a teen. The trigger on the gun is one of the best I have ever shot.

I believe, after doing much research, that it is a Savage Model 1919. My serial number is much lower than yours but I was very happy to see your post. If you want I can e-mail you some pictures.
Old August 26, 2014, 08:50 AM   #27
natman

I'm not sure what Savage was thinking when they designed that rear sight. I have a Model 19 and the windage knob is broken off in exactly the same way. The thread is so delicate it belongs in a watch, not a firearm. I've seen several others with the same problem so replacement parts will be hard to find.
Old August 27, 2014, 11:12 AM   #28
DaleA

Welcome to TFL.

The original poster hasn't been around for a few years so you might not get a response from them.

An accurate .22 with a good trigger is truly a joy to shoot. Hopefully the ammo shortage will soon go away and we can get back to shooting them.