The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 27, 2013, 06:01 PM   #1
LED

Anything wrong with the Steyr M9?

The M9 is the bargain of all Steyrs, less than $500 a piece. Knowing the brand reputation, and having owned a Steyr rifle, I cant figure out why they sell so slow? Is it because Glock superceded them, or some quality issues?
Old May 27, 2013, 06:33 PM   #2
SpareMag

I have the M40 and M9-A1. I have not worked directly with the M9.

IMHO, Steyr is the best bargain out there now. For me the fit in my hand is perfect, very natural aim, and I love the trap sights.

As to why they are not a larger player in the US market is a source of a lot of threadtalk at SteyrClub. Build quality is excellent, I have had no issues with my two, and for me both Steyrs are spot-on accurate. Eats any ammo thrown at it, and the lack of traffic at SteyrClub indicates to me very little concern about function.

If the Steyr appeals to you, and it does not to everyone --it is a niche player -- grab it.

Love mine, can't say enough good things about the M series.
Old May 27, 2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Kev

A couple months ago there was a few Austrian Police dept trade ins on guns America for 400.
I was very tempted to "pull the trigger" on one but when I was ready they were gone!
The fact the Austrian Police carried these over some other gun made there impressed me.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:26 PM   #4
LED

How do they compare to the Glocks? I see similarities in the trigger safety and (I think) the disassembly tabs. By the way, I meant Steyr M9A1, if it makes a difference vs M9.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Kev

Can't help with a Glock comparison since I am have remained Glock free.
However that's a great price for NIB!
I did a quick look on guns America and think the lowest price was used at 550
Old May 28, 2013, 11:01 AM   #6
loose_holster_dan

other than being scary ugly?
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old May 28, 2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Fishbed77

My cousin has a first-gen M40 and loves it. He prefers it to his Glocks. His has been utterly reliable.

Quote:
other than being scary ugly?
It's a blocky pistol for sure, but the ergonomics are good (better than Glock, not as good as a Walther P99/PPQ). The fit & finish is better than any Glock I've ever seen (but again not quite to the level of Walther).

The only significant downside to the Steyr pistols are the paucity of available accessories.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:55 AM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
If we indeed buy handguns for their looks, then the possification of the nation is complete and we should blog the farting line dot com.
Looks and function aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Of course looks are subjective.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Pilot

I had an M9 when CDNN was selling them for cheap. Nice gun. Reliable, reasonably accurate. The first few mags it was sending shells right back at my head, but then it calmed down and ejected away to the right as it should. I just couldn't get used to the polymer, plasticky feel, and spongy trigger so I sold it. I kind of regret it though because it was unique, and interesting. I actually liked the weird sights it had too.

It excelled in low bore axis, and ergonomics.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:37 PM   #10
SpareMag

How does it compare to the Glock?

In many ways, they are very comparable. Takedown is easy -easier than the Glock, IMHO. You have a takedown lever instead of the release slide of the Glock.

Ergos FOR ME are superior -the Steyr fits my hand, the Glock feels like a 2x4.

Love the trapezoidal sights, which you either really, really like or could really, really do without.

Accuracy FOR ME is better than Glock due to fit in hand and sights.

Function: I have had no failures with either.

Both are striker fired. The M series in this country AFAIK, come in without an external safety. My M40 has a very clever frame safety, my new M9-A1 does not have an external safety.

If you want the esoterica of type of rifling and so forth, I would have to look that up. For me, I shoot the Steyr better, so for me that makes it the preferred choice.

Steyrs come in three flavors, M, C and S. M is the full size, C is compact and S is subcompact...I think...frankly I have not played in the S and C waters, since I am happy with the M size.

SteyrClub.com is probably the main Steyr site...may be others, but SteyrClub is the only one I have found.

Internally, the Steyr is probably not a lot different than the Glock, I have no tech specs on what the differences may be.

The lead designer for Steyr has also developed the Caracal, so you see a lot of cross-interest in that piece also. Strong similarity between the two.
Old May 28, 2013, 01:32 PM   #11
LED

The hand fit I also found to be great. Trigger, service grade, not to be judged by SAO classics standards. The sights are intriguing, I can't say more without shooting. Finding one for rent is impossible.
Old May 28, 2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
Both are striker fired. The M series in this country AFAIK, come in without an external safety. My M40 has a very clever frame safety, my new M9-A1 does not have an external safety.
The M40 I mentioned previously that my cousin owns does indeed have an external manual safety. It is a small blade that is pushed up to deactivate when you place your finger on the trigger. It's engaged by pressing in on two buttons to either side of the frame. It's a nifty and completely unobtrusive design. You can ignore it if you like, since it's essentially impossible to accidentally engage the manual safety. If you choose not to use the manual safety, the pistol is still as safe as any other Glock-style system.

The manual safety looks like this (not his gun, just a photo off the internet):

Last edited by Fishbed77; May 28, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old May 28, 2013, 03:33 PM   #13
LED

By convention, manual safety requires a deliberate operation separate from the firing mechanism. This is not central to our discussion, but trigger safety is in its own category. Glock pioneered it, and to this day does not claim it to be external manual safety. They dubbed it safe action instead.
Old May 28, 2013, 04:19 PM   #14
SpareMag

The safety in any event is very clever, but my M9-A1 came without it. My M40 (pre-) does have it.

I happen to like the approach Steyr took, but I appear to be in the minority. AFAIK, the safety is not imported into the US.

I found my used Steyr by a fluke, it was for sale at my LGS, and being used, the LGS let me play with it on the range. It came home with me. Subsequently got the M9-A1 to match.

The Steyr is about the only piece that I would recommend as a pig in the poke purchase.

But I admit to a Steyr bias. I got a Steyr GB donkeys ages ago, and that remains the 9mm I am THE most accurate with. Fixed chrome-lined compensated barrel, it is a dream to shoot. One of the first mega-nines in the US, it holds...18 rounds I think. Discontinued now for a lot of sad reasons, mags all but impossible to find. <sigh....>

Oh, LED, to your question as to why Steyr doesn't have more of a presence in the US, it could be that Steyr, being a smaller player is just happy where they are. I don't know...but for Steyr, maybe Europe is world enough.
Old May 28, 2013, 04:29 PM   #15
Kev

I agree that they are probably quite comfortable with pistol sales on their side of the world. Besides I think their rifles make up 80% of their $$$$
Old May 28, 2013, 07:33 PM   #16

I've always liked the M9 and the Steyr polymer pistols that followed it. I wouldn't say that it hasn't had issues though because it has and they have been reported on several forums, although I've never visited SteyrClub. It is interesting that the Austrian Police agency mentioned would have selected it over the Glock.

I have to totally disagree with the assessment that it's the best bargain in a polymer framed striker fired pistol. That mantel easily belongs to the excellent Ruger SR9.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:30 PM   #17
Fishbed77

Quote:
By convention, manual safety requires a deliberate operation separate from the firing mechanism. This is not central to our discussion, but trigger safety is in its own category. Glock pioneered it, and to this day does not claim it to be external manual safety. They dubbed it safe action instead.
I'm not referring to the Glock-like "blade" on the M-series trigger. I'm referring to the separate blade above in the underside of the frame. It requires slight upward pressure separate from the trigger pull to deactivate. Steyr referred to this in their literature as a manual safety.
Old May 29, 2013, 12:09 AM   #18
Mosin44az

No first hand experience with ownership but from what I've read, the first generation of these was problematic. I recall a Shotgun News article by Peter Kokalis slamming them as junk.

The company also pulled out of the US market for awhile, as I recall, and the company itself may have had serious financial issues at some point. That will put a damper on building market share.

The first generation .40 I rented once was OK, but not noticeably better than any other gun of the type, and the trapezoid sights were weird to me.

There is so much competition from so many good gunmakers in the US market, it seems more of an accomplishment to survive at all, and your product has to be dramatically different and/or obviously better to make a splash. Glock's rise was historic, may be hard to duplicate.

The designer of these Steyrs is supposedly the designer of the new UAE Caracal.
Old May 29, 2013, 02:19 PM   #19
Inazone

I've had an M9 for just over a year. There is a lot of confusion over which generation is which, as the early M9 (and other models) without the A1 model designation actually changed over time, with the guns imported by PW Arms being somewhat "hybrids" of older and more recent generations. This is explained pretty nicely over at SteyrClub.

As with numerous other owners' reports, my M9 had some FTF/FTE issues during the first 300 rounds or so, but has been pretty reliable since then; the only ammo it consistently doesn't like is WWB. A friend's cast lead reloads function 100% reliably even though other guns don't like them, so I guess it's a toss-up. The trapezoidal sights are great in my opinion, but I've run into a few people who absolutely can't shoot with them.

Based on my experiences, I would definitely consider another Steyr, but there are a number of other guns on my list ahead of a second Steyr, including the Caracal QS models . . . asssuming Caracal can resolve its numerous recall issues.
Old May 29, 2013, 03:04 PM   #20
LED

Fishbed-

That safety just might be the answer to my question. Technically it is manual safety, but unlike the conventional semiatos it is trigger finger operated. It lacks the commonality of operation with most semiautos that people train with, and carry in this country. Even the HK P7 did not make it very far for that very reason (the Steyr costs less but that evidently doesn't help)
Old May 30, 2013, 10:16 AM   #21
Fishbed77

Quote:
It lacks the commonality of operation with most semiautos that people train with, and carry in this country. Even the HK P7 did not make it very far for that very reason (the Steyr costs less but that evidently doesn't help)
Maybe, maybe not.

I can think of plenty of semi-auto firearms (both pistols and longarms) that have safeties operated by the trigger finger, including the FN FiveseveN, M1 Garand, SKS, anything with a cross-bolt safety. etc.

Besides, the manual safety was an option on the Steyr M-series that was not very common for US-market pistols. Many (most?) M-series pistols that came into the US do not have any manual safety at all and rely only on the passive safeties (like Glocks, etc).

Steyr was pretty honest about why the M-series pistols did not sell well here. They were just too expensive, and they had trouble keeping them at a price that was competitive with other polymer designs.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:46 AM   #22
SpareMag

Fish,

Interesting comment about the M-series cost. At $500-550 they are in the Glock price range. Was the orig M series priced differently?
Old May 30, 2013, 12:06 PM   #23

My M9 (had it for several years) has been the exemplar of reliability. It is also reasonably accurate giving me 4" - 5" groups at 25 yards from the bench.

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION
Old May 30, 2013, 02:01 PM   #24
Fishbed77

Quote:
Fish,

Interesting comment about the M-series cost. At $500-550 they are in the Glock price range. Was the orig M series priced differently?
When the M-series pistols were originally introduced, Glock pistols were priced much lower than they are today. In the late 1990s/early 2000s, a Glock 19 could be had for under $400. The Steyr pistols cost about the same or a little more. When the Steyr M left the US market a few years ago, the price had changed little from their introduction, and Steyr (or their US importer, I forget which) claimed there was no profit to be made against the production and US distribution costs. Shortly afterward, I recall some places (CDNN, maybe?) clearancing the Ms for some pretty good prices.

Apparently, Steyr is now making a go of it again in the US. I don't know if they have found a way to lower production costs, of if they have a more favorable importation/distribution network in place.

Last edited by Fishbed77; May 30, 2013 at 02:08 PM.