The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Thread Tools
Old November 13, 2010, 03:24 AM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: February 28, 2009
Posts: 399
"Lupara" shotgun pistols as AOWs?

A thought occurred to me the other day, and I wanted to check it out. Now as I recall, a smoothbore, pistol-grip-only gun is an AOW, right? That's how they sell the Serbu Super-Shorty, at any rate. Wouldn't that also apply to "Lupara type break-action shotguns, if manufactured from scratch? I was wondering because although I've seen the Serbus, I've never seen anyone making or selling break-action AOWs. That surprises me a little because from an engineering perspective, I would think that you could build a break action shorter and lighter than a pump like the Super Shorty.
ADB is offline  
Old November 13, 2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Willie Lowman
Senior Member
Join Date: March 5, 2009
Location: Uh-Hi-O
Posts: 2,400
There are some break open AOWs out there. The old Ithaca Auto-Burglar comes to mind.

They aren't as common because virgin break open receivers are much harder to find than a pump gun that started it's life with a pistol grip and no stock.
Willie Lowman is online now  
Old November 14, 2010, 07:57 PM   #3
David Hineline
Senior Member
Join Date: December 23, 1999
Location: South Sioux City, Nebraska
Posts: 703
Been done before, no one makes in country doubles that I know of, no one imports receiver only guns and if/when they have they are more expensive one offs build than just buying a double shotgun and cutting it down to the sawed off shotgun route.

When building a custom project like that the $195 in tax savings is about 1/10 the cost of the project so not significant.
David Hineline is offline  
Old November 14, 2010, 11:52 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs
Senior Member
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Posts: 7,007
The tax on MAKING an AOW is $200.00. TRANSFER is $5.00.
There is no initial savings, so you may as well just cut an existing shotgun.
Bill DeShivs
Bill DeShivs is offline  
Old November 15, 2010, 02:41 AM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: November 17, 2008
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,348

Find a Class 2 SOT who will be willing to chop one for you. Then they can transfer it to you for $5. I'll bet a dollar that a Class 2 SOT wouldn't charge as much as the $200 tax stamp to make your own!

They're not too hard to find, and a lot of them are really nice guys and gals.
rjrivero is offline  
Old November 15, 2010, 03:39 AM   #6
Willie Lowman
Senior Member
Join Date: March 5, 2009
Location: Uh-Hi-O
Posts: 2,400
Find a Class 2 SOT who will be willing to chop one for you.
To be a AOW it has to be a virgin receiver or have never had a shoulder stock installed on it. This takes us away from having a SOT chop one down for us. That would be a SBS.
Willie Lowman is online now  
Old November 15, 2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
Join Date: December 16, 2004
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 5,320
I have my Kimmel Kamper. Nice break-action 20 gauge AOW. It was built into an AOW the 1980's. Makes a nice Motel gun.

Here is a picture of what one looks like original. Mine has a 12" barrel.

I don't carry a gun to go looking for trouble, I carry a gun in case trouble finds me.
Crosshair is offline  

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2014 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.07055 seconds with 7 queries