The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Dano61

Reloading Supply Tracking

Does anyone know of a good database that will help in tracking supply usage and resupply? Anyone have any sugestions on how to best track large quantities of reloading supplies?

Thanks in advance!!
Old November 9, 2010, 01:55 PM   #2
oneounceload

Calculate number of loads per: powder jug, primer sleeve, etc. count how many you have loaded. Determine if it is time to reorder. I just look at what I have a order as necessary - no need to make it more complex than that
Old November 9, 2010, 02:07 PM   #3
e4for2

Try this site

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
Old November 9, 2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

I've got to agree with OneOunce. I can't imagine how I could have so many supplies that I would be unable to determine by simply lifting/shaking a bottle of powder or looking at a box of bullets that it was time to reorder. No matter what, at some point when you use a certain item, you must be able to say "I need to reorder that before within the next week or so." I simply can't imagine having to database my supplies.

That said, if you really think you need it, a simple Excel spreadsheet should suffice.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old November 9, 2010, 02:55 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

I do it by storage location. I keep one canister of each powder, and a box of each primer in my reloading cabinets where my press in mounted (separate cabinets). I keep reserves amounts of each powder and primer type in tubs on my ammo shelves.

When I run out of "handy" powder, I go to the reserve tubs to pull from inventory. I like to have at least two canisters of each pistol powder and one 8lb canister for each rifle powder. A pound will load about 1,500 pistol loads and about 150 rifle loads. When I pull from reserves and go below this threshold then I order more.

Similar for primers. I have 1,000 of each type handy and at least 2,000 in reserve. When I dip into reserves I order more.

For bullets I keep no less than 1,000 per caliber. For more heavily used I keep much more. Anytime I get close to 1,000 I will order more.

1,000 rounds will give me at least a year of shooting for most of my calibers. I try to keep components to load around 2,000-3,000 to smooth over the dry spells.

These are general guidelines I use. I shoot a lot more .223 and .40 so those components I stock up a bit more.

Many commercial inventory systems are run on a threshold reorder point rather than buy as you use basis.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison