The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Poodleshooter

.44 mag load- Lee 310gr RNFP-GC and 2400

I'm currently shooting a 15gr load of 2400 using WW brass and WW LPMs, with the 310gr Lee RNFP-GC bullet seated to the crimp groove and given a stiff crimp. It's a nice load, with only moderate recoil,and groups well. Sadly, it puts my nice groups about 4-5" high at 25yds out of my trusty Ruger SBH,and around 7" high at 50yds even with the rear sight bottomed out.

Has anyone run hotter loads with 2400 and this bullet and found that any dwell time/recoil issues went away, or is not possible to remedy it given this heavy of a bullet and this powder? Lyman is the closest guide that I have for a 300+gr cast lead bullet similar in design to the Lee using 2400, and they show 15.7gr for a top load.

I'm sticking with 2400 for now, since I have terrible luck shooting 296,H110 and AA#9 (my measure doesn't seem to meter them very well for some reason).
Old November 9, 2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Regardless of powder or charge, bullet weight is by far the biggest factor in point of impact elevation from a handgun. A heavier bullet takes longer to get out of the barrel, to the muzzle recoils up to a higher angle before the bullet exits. If you increase the powder charge, the bullet will get out faster, but the recoil will be harder, which compensates, so you'll still see the bullet leave at a higher muzzle elevation than a lighter one does.

You'll need to get a higher front sight insert for your SBH.
NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by Unclenick; November 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old November 9, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3
GeauxTide

In my old Uniflow, H-110/296 flowed like water. 2400 didn't flow nearly as easily. With heavy bullets, the slower powders give the best performance.
Old November 9, 2010, 01:54 PM   #4
GP100man

A higher front site or get another blade for the rear & file the notch deeper then the top of the blade to keep the notch porportional .

I have seen the frames milled to where the site just misses the hammer !!!

Does a bowen site offer lower profile than the factory ????
Old November 9, 2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Rifleman1776

kentucky windage, hold lower. Get used to it.
But, why use such a heavy bullet in the first place? Do you shoot bears every day?
My Redhawk .44 mag. just loves 180-210-245 grain projectiles and give moderate recoil and I can aim them.
Old November 9, 2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Poodleshooter

Interesting point on the recoil/muzzle velocity issue.

I'd need a higher front sight to accomodate this bullet. Unfortunately it's a blued SBH, so I can't swap out sights w/o gunsmithing. I've never had much success at adding height to front sights and getting the result flat and straight.

Yeah, I'm using Arkansas elevation alright. Bottom hold on a piece of 8.5x11 copy paper gives a center impact at 25yds,and about an 1" or two higher than center at 50yds. I figure a belly/front leg corner hold on a deer will work well.

I have a 200gr RNFP cowboy bullet, but it starts to lead up when it goes faster than 1100fps or so,and accuracy falls off quickly. I'm using the 310gr model since it's the only gas checked mold that I have for .44,and it's an accurate bullet with a huge meplat and nice far forward ogive. I should get a 240gr RNFP-GC design though. Recoil really isn't bad at all. I built a set of wide backed grips for my SBH. They really soak up the recoil a lot better than those stock plowhandle grips. It's more of a thump than the sharp kick and roll with stock grips.
Old November 10, 2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Well, too bad about the sight. Just noticed I'd put "lower" front sight in my post and fixed that, but that still doesn't help with your situation. I have a friend who got an Alaskan in .454, and it had the same problem that the rear sight couldn't be adjusted low enough, but at least the front blade is replaceable.

That said, and keeping in mind Elmer Keith developed the .44 Magnum using 20:1 and 16:1 lead:tin, both of which are softer than most cast bullet alloys you buy today. So it should not be considered written in stone that plain bullets at the velocities you cite will lead. Indeed, they are frequently driven a good bit faster in rifles. I think you may be looking at your revolver as a candidate for some special attention.

You can get the chambers reamed (cylindersmith.com will do this for under $40) and before that, you can firelap it to polish the bore and remove constrictions in the bore. Typically, where a lot of fouling occurs, either the bore is constricted by the frame where the barrel screws in, or one or more of the chambers is no bigger than the groove diameter of the bore. Neither condition allows cast bullets to perform well.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old November 11, 2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Poodleshooter

I think I have a date with a .100"x .125" square rod, some JB weld and my SBH front sight. My 200gr lead loads will still be well within the adjustment range of the sights. None of the loads I've ever run through it have required the rear sight to be very high.

BTW, this is an old model, 3 screw SBH. If that bore and throat aren't polished by now, they probably never will be!