The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 7, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1
blueovelwookie

what grain in a mini-14 tac

what is the heavist grain factory load that i can shoot accurately, say up to 100yrds for deer?
Old November 7, 2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Depends on the twist. 1:10, I imagine no more than 65- or 70-grain. 1:9, a bit heavier. Check the bullet catalogs, since there are controlled expansion bullets in .223 in the range of 55 to 70 grains.
Old November 7, 2010, 10:16 PM   #3
B. Lahey

Try a bunch and find out. If you tell us the twist rate we may be able to get you into the ballpark, but individual barrels are weird about this.
Old November 7, 2010, 10:40 PM   #4
golfnutrlv

Ruger lists the barrel as 1:9" RH. That means you should be able to run 68 grain or less just fine, depending on the bullet type, and the specifics of YOUR rifle.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old November 7, 2010, 11:43 PM   #5
Bamashooter

with a 1/9 twist you can shoot up to 75gr. i load 60gr. sierra, 65gr. sierra, and 69gr. sierra. they all shoot very well out of my 580 series mini. the 65gr. is what i let my son hunt with. 75gr. will stabilize out of my mini, although im not sure about 77gr. or higher. the 65gr. is suprisingly a very accurate bullet, or it has been for me anyway. the 60gr. varmiter has been the most accurate of all the ones i have tried so far.