The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 7, 2010, 07:56 AM   #1
fishluv

Has anyone used Clays for slugs?

I really like this powder for pistol loads so I was hoping use it for slug loads.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:18 AM   #2
dahermit

A particular powder should only be used in the application that you find in shotgun hand loading manual. If you cannot find slug data using clays in the manual, most knowledgeable hand loaders will tell you not to experiment, or use unpublished data. In short, what does you manual show for slug data?
Old November 7, 2010, 10:08 AM   #3
bluetopper

Clays is great for 45 slugs.
Old November 7, 2010, 05:00 PM   #4
GP100man

The way I understand it clays was developed for light target loads for the scatter guns !!

A 1 1/4 oz slug would probably call for a slower powder than CLAYS.
Old November 7, 2010, 10:33 PM   #5
rg1

No loads listed for slugs and Clays powder in Lyman's Shotshell manual. Universal is the fastest powder they use in Lyman's manual for slugs. Lyman and BPI do use some Clays loads for buckshot though. Like previously said, don't use it unless you can find specific published and tested data for that powder.
Old November 8, 2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Poodleshooter

Available slug data is pretty poor-many people experiment with them,especially home cast Lee and Lyman slugs. The alternative is using a very,very narrow range of possible loads,and the necessity of using expensive overpowder and overshot/slug wad components.

Clays would probably get you into the 1200fps range,but not much faster using 7/8 - 1oz 12ga slugs.
Typically you can substitute a 7/8 or 1oz shot load recipe for the same weight rifled slug, so long as the shot column for the original load takes up the same space as the slug does,and no other information is changed. If the slug is too short in the wad column (the common problem), you will have crimping problems and you should use a different load that crimps evenly.
Begin with the starting load and work up.
As mentioned though, this only works within the typical clays range of speed. For a faster load, try Universal Clays. Lee has a load for that powder listed in the instruction booklet for their cast drive key slug mold, I believe.