The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1
LOUD

First batch of 300 win mag

I just loaded my first batch of 300 win mag . I put 165 gr Hornady SST's over 75 grains of IMR 7828, Im using new Winchester casings with cci LRM primers with a col of 3.340. I dont have a chrono so I wont know the speed but I will at least be able to tell if they are accurate. Im gonna try some nosler partition bullets in a heavier weight maybe up to 200 gr. But I just loaded what I had on hand at the moment . Ill post my results as soon as I have time to go shooting........LOUD
Old November 6, 2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Sevens

Let me tell ya... (but with full warning that I'm a long time handgun reloader that has only limited dabbling in center fire rifle at the load bench) that the belted cases such as .300 Win Mag don't give much brass life.

Be looking with great care for incipient case head separation.
Old November 6, 2010, 10:15 PM   #3
GeauxTide

Loud, if you size your cases after firing them in your rifle so that the shoulder is NOT set back, case fatigue will not be a problem. I start with a nickel between my die and shell holder. If the case doesn't chamber easily, I go to a penny, then to a dime. This method has worked in a 7mm WBY, and Remington mags. My case life, with full loads, is 5-7.
Old November 7, 2010, 01:18 AM   #4
Sevens

Yeah, that's about what I'm seeing in .300 Win Mag with Federal brass (which many/most? consider lousy quality rifle brass) and I'm using the Lee Collet neck-only size die for my sizing work.

I've seen as few as 4 loadings from some cases, more with some others.
Old November 7, 2010, 07:12 AM   #5
flashhole

My very first handloads ever were for a 300 Win Mag. As I recall, the tight-butt pucker factor was quite high when I touched the first few off.

I ended up migrating from H4831 to Retumbo powder and that provided benefits in both accuracy and case life. If you stay under max loads you will be able to neck size each case several times before FL sizing is needed.

Are you ready for civil war?

Last edited by flashhole; November 7, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old November 7, 2010, 10:18 AM   #6
10 Spot Terminator

Got my best results for a 168gr. Barnes TSX using IMR 4350 in my Browning A-bolt. It pretty much rejected IMR 7828 and RL 22. The 4350 loads are clocking right at 3,225 fps and grouping 1/2 in. at 100 yds.,,, As for the case failure concern I have eliminated mine on my belted magnum cases by neck sizing only and annealing the necks before every 4th sizing . If you end up using hot loads on a regular basis and get brass that is hard to chamber but the oal is right, the shoulder setback isnt too long then you most likely will be suffering from case bulge just above the belt on the case which is where the belteg mags are headspaced from. There is a tool from Inovative Technologies that sizes all belted cases for this issue. Great item if you are a high volume belted mag shooter. For a lower volume hunting only type use an occasional new bag of brass is cheaper.

Happy Shootin,

10 SPOT
Old November 7, 2010, 11:01 AM   #7
mehavey

Quote:
"....neck sizing only...."
+1
Quote:
"...annealing the necks before every 4th sizing..."
+2
Old November 7, 2010, 04:50 PM   #8
Kawabuggy

Let me tell you from personal experience--be careful what you shoot with those SST's! After shooting pigs with those bullets, I was literally picking up pieces of hogs.. They are highly explosive at 300 Win. Mag. velocities. I shoot the same bullet on top of RL-22..
Old November 7, 2010, 05:24 PM   #9
flashhole

The SST's were the first bullet I tried to reload for my 300 in 1997. Accuracy was awful. After the first range outting I weighed the bullets and found a huge deviation in weight. I contacted Hornady about it and they told me I couldn't see the weight differences I was getting. I sent the bullets to Hornady and never heard a word from them about it. The bullet was the 180 grain SST and I was getting some bullets less than 140 grains.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old November 8, 2010, 10:26 AM   #10
McClintock

I'd be interested in seeing your results, loud. I'm in the process of loading some .300 WinMag myself, trying 180 gr. Hornady SST's and 180 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips propelled by IMR 4350 (which, incidentally, does not meter well from a Dillon 550 powder measure).

I, too, will try and post results when I have them.

Cheers!
McClintock