The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 6, 2010, 10:07 AM   #1
DaStray

Marlin 1894C sights

I have the abovementioned rifle and simply love it except for the buckhorn rear sight. I don`t want to put a scope on it because (to me anyway) a scope simply ruins the look of the rifle. I`ve also looked into various "peep" sights (Skinner, Williams...etc) but don`t really like them either.
Have any of you ever heard of "standard" aftermarket sights that are available for the Marlin like you see on 99% of other factory weapons? You know, ones that are simply a notch that you line up the front sight with? I`ve looked all over the internet but have yet to find anything that I`m looking for. Am I the only one with this dilemma?
Old November 6, 2010, 11:01 AM   #2
B.L.E.

The 1894 Marlin uses a standard 3/8 inch dovetail so you should have no problem finding a sight for it.
Have you tried Brownells?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8...NG_REAR_SIGHTS

You could always take a file and remove the buckhorns yourself.
Old November 6, 2010, 08:40 PM   #3
DaStray

Thanks, BLE.
I`d seen many posts regarding different sights for the 1894 (on various lever action boards) but none had mentioned that the dovetail slot was of a standard size so I assumed that it was unique to Marlin. Wonder why no one else went the route of a standard sight as many seemed dissatisfied with the factory sights and had resorted to peep sights instead? Seems a "no-brainer" to me to put a standard sight on it as most everyone at least seems OK w/ standard sights unless they intend to scope the rifle. I`m considering doing a little filing but am a bit hesitant about doing so. If I bugger it up I could then order a replacement standard sight. I appreciate your quick reply.
Old November 6, 2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Hawg

Have you considered a full buckhorn instead of the standard semi buckhorn? You can use it as a ghost ring.
Old November 6, 2010, 10:04 PM   #5
bamaranger

why??

Why don't you like a peep?????

On the Marlins, you will near double your sight radius, which may buy you some accuracy. Peeps are more forgiving for old eyes. And as a general rule their faster.

Avoid the tiny aperture, and use something like an XS post or the old Sourdough, and they aren't bad in poor light.

Maybe not as classic a "look", but very practical.