The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 2010, 10:16 PM   #26
Jim243

Best advice I can give is to get a second job or work lots of overtime to get everything you will want to buy.

Just my opinion.
Jim

Old November 11, 2010, 12:29 AM   #27
sandman31774

Jim246
I've put my career on hold. I've become Mr. Mom due to my wifes job. She has to take a lot of call and never even knows when she will get off work any given day. She brings home the bacon and I tend to the kids/yard/house....hardest job i've ever had to be honest.
I just tell my wife to go work some overtime *looking over my shoulder as i type this to make sure the frying pan is being swung at my head* ha

nah, seriously, i am mr. mom for the next few years it looks like...but my wife allows me to have my hobbies with little hassle. I am blessed.
Old November 11, 2010, 08:04 AM   #28
Roaddog

Sandman I can say I'm quite lucky. I got a ol'lady and a tv and they both work. I too am new to reloading and $$ mounts up fast. Good luck with it. It's a blast.
Old November 11, 2010, 08:44 AM   #29
Sorrowful Jones

Reloading

I have been reloading for about 25 yrs or so. I am not a competition shooter, therefore precise accuracy was secondary to functionality. When I bought my first press was an RCBS rockchucker. I used it for many years and had great results. Through the years other brands like Lee, Lyman, & Dillon have emerged. Like RCBS, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. About 4 years ago, in a moment of medicated fog, I sold all of my reloading equipment. I regretted that decision and over the last couple of years I have been buying piece by piece to get started back into reloading.
When I began looking at prices of equipment I almost had a stroke. I realized that start-up costs....or in my case, REstart-up costs were going to be astronomical if I wanted new equipment. In an act of defiance, I decided that I am NOT going to pay retail prices for reloading equipment, which meant that I had to look around...ebay...estate sales...craigslist..etc. I concentrated on RCBS simply because: 1. it's what I grew up with, 2. it IS good quality stuff, and 3. I happen to like the color green.
I got lucky. I went to an estate sale and happened to find two presses, scale, 2 powder hoppers, dies, and various other items all in one place. I got it for cheap. My wife happened to go to an estate sale and bought a vibrator...... uh, the kind for cleaning brass. She didn't know what it was, she just recognized the green color, saw RCBS on it, and knew I didn't have one.
So what's the point to all of this? Don't get in a hurry, look around and buy cheap. Stick with Good quality stuff. By the way... On RCBS's website they have a "seconds" section. Items are hit and miss, but look at the prices there. Good Luck.
Ron
Old November 11, 2010, 07:56 PM   #30
Uncle Buck

Quote:
I got a ol'lady and a tv and they both work.

My goal in life was to marry a woman who was too proud to let her husband work!

My wife is very understanding and is happy I have a hobby that does not involve alcohol and/or women.

Reloading to me is a great way of dropping the worries of the day, because I have to concentrate on what I am doing.
Old November 11, 2010, 10:32 PM   #31
Jim243

Sandman, just start out slow and over time all things will come to those that wait. Build up a little at a time. First thing is to pick a spot that is quite, dry and will not be run over by the kids (kind of like a man cave). Does not have to be big, but will let you sit quitely and work undisturbed. Second is pick up some cheap wood and build yourself a sturdy bench and some shelving. Third like uncle buck said, is to find some used equipment (RCBS is a good start), I bought my RCBS Rockchucker for $60.00 used. Next would be a good set of dies (Lee dies are the best for price and last a long, long time) others will tell you to go with more expensive ones, but there really is no need to unless you are into shooting compititions.

Powder, primers and bullets are a mixed bag, but look for sales. A good scale and caliber is a must, but you can start out at Harbor Freight for cheap dollars. Everything else is window dressing and I want kind of items, they can come on birthdays and christmas.

Good luck and remember we are doing this for fun.

Jim