The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 5, 2010, 11:14 AM   #1
ColoradoKid

Stoeger Luger .22lr

First off im new and hello to everyone!!

I have some ?'s about a Stoeger Luger .22lr pistol, I recently got in a trade for my jeep.

Im curious if anyone knows how I can look up the year it was made the # is 82450

My other ? and from reading I understand its not an easy task but im curious if there is a diagram or anything on how to take it apart and re assemble?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated and thank you!!

Chris
Old November 5, 2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I hope you got more than the Stoeger Luger for your jeep...

Generally they bring between $250 and $300 when I've seen them.

Some shoot just fine, but they can be quite finnicky about ammo, apparently, and feeding issues are quite common.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 5, 2010, 11:20 AM   #3
ColoradoKid

O yeah I got a very nice chunk of money and a remington 572 pump .22
Old November 5, 2010, 11:46 AM   #4
HisSoldier

The Stoeger Luger is a stamped product with an aluminum alloy frame that cheapened the name Luger, but on the other hand Stoeger owns the name Luger so that's their own foot they were shooting. The toggle action of the gun is purely for looks as it does not slow down the opening of the action beyond the mechanical frictional losses involved. Stoeger was a major importer of Lugers for many years before they came out with the gun in question.

There were other Luger wanna bees, an Erma zinc product which I think was my second handgun, and a dismal disappointment to me when I discovered that it was white metal in addition to the fact that it jammed all the time.

Value on GB appears to be from $200 to $300, some "Buy it nows" in near perfect shape $250.
I have CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P-238's. Video on installation in Sig;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2v_-87DRM
Old November 5, 2010, 01:37 PM   #5
woodguru

I got one of those when they were being sold in the early 70's, it didn't feed anything well. I was shooting a Ruger, Hi Standard Victor and Citation, and an older Smith and Wesson, so I didn't have much patience with one that wouldn't feed anything well.

Sell it on GB and get one of the GSG 1911's if you want a great shooting affordable semi auto.
Old November 5, 2010, 01:39 PM   #6
crazy charlie

Colorado,
I did a Bing search for 'Stoger Luger' and came up with a whole list of stuff/info. Suggest you do the same.
Old November 5, 2010, 07:32 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

I have two...

One works flawlessly, the other is more picky, likes to be a bit "wetter" with oil. But, when well lubed it works ok.

Yeah, they are cheap, compared to real P.08s, but hey, its only a .22!

About as accurate as my other .22s, and a very cool look. Plinking and sport, cheap fun and the toggle action too!

They are "real" Lugers, as the maker owns the US rights to the name Luger, and has for many, many years. They are not P.08 Parabellums, but they do resemble them.

Don't take it apart if you don't have to. You can clean and oil it well enough without doing that. .22 pistols aren't designed with the idea of being taken apart and put back together often. Things can, and do get damaged and worn faster if you do this.

Centerfire pistols intended for military service are designed with the idea that they will be taken down and cleaned, a lot (maybe even daily). Tolerances and construction take that into account. Civilian sport pistols don't. You can shoot the gun a lot, and keep it running fine for years just cleaning what you can reach without tearing it down.

Enjoy yours, I do mine!
Old November 5, 2010, 07:50 PM   #8
Hoss Fly

Quote:
O yeah I got a very nice chunk of money and a remington 572 pump .22
Hope it was a REAL nice chunck of money
The Stoeger "Luger" was NOT a nice chunk of gun
Had one in the very early 80's - Got rid of it in the very early 80's :barf:
Old November 6, 2010, 05:44 AM   #9
NWCP

I own an Erma Baby Luger in .22LR. No it's not the real thing, but it is fun to shoot and always gets folks at the gun range gawking at it. Mine isn't a jamomatic and is pleasantly accurate. I don't shoot it often, but enjoy it when I do.
Old November 6, 2010, 09:27 AM   #10
ColoradoKid

O yeah it was a very nice chunk of money. . . And I think i am actually trading it off as well for a 78' Scout 2.

I thank you all very much for the info!!
Old November 6, 2010, 08:56 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Saw one today, again...

Stoeger Luger .22, looks new, and is in the box with all papers. Asking price $300.

I have seen this gun at the last two gun shows I have been to (3 weeks apart). Still for sale. I considered it, but since I already have two of them, I couldn't see the point.

Plus that $300 bought me a nice S&W M28-2 at the last show!
Old November 6, 2010, 09:01 PM   #12
Delaware_Dan

I would trade it for a Ruger MKIII Slabside if it were me. Better gun that eats anything.

-Bruce Lee
Old November 6, 2010, 09:31 PM   #13
Rampant_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKid
O yeah it was a very nice chunk of money. . . And I think i am actually trading it off as well for a 78' Scout 2.
A seventy-eight foot boat!? Sweeeet!
Old November 8, 2010, 11:49 AM   #14
chiefr

I inherited one of these that was purchased in the 60s. It is a great shooter.
Old November 8, 2010, 03:20 PM   #15
Sarge43

This was my first pistol when I was a kid that was all mine. I loved that thing and am sorry I ever let it go. Mine shot great and was accurate enough to take a BUNCH of squirrels out of trees over the years. To see listed here that they are only $250 in near perfect condition makes me want to get another one.
Hope you enjoy it!
Sarge
Old November 8, 2010, 04:49 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Don't take it apart if you don't have to. You can clean and oil it well enough without doing that. .22 pistols aren't designed with the idea of being taken apart and put back together often.
I inherited one and thought I should break it down and clean everything as it had been sitting for many years. Took it apart. Got everything clean. Then got it about 90% assembled before getting stumped. Four hours later I gave up and did an internet search. Between sparse posts on different forums, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong.

I'll just drop the whole thing in an ultrasonic cleaner before trying to take it apart again.