The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 30, 2010, 06:37 AM   #1
pythagorean

.257 Weatherby for Elk?

I've always had a flame for the .257 Weatherby since the early 70s. At 52 today I had the chance to get one in the 700 Remington CDL I've posted elsewhere here. I love the 700 and the .257 Weatherby and when they came together recently in a rifle I asked to see at Cabela's I couldn't pass it up.

So I've been thinking about what applications it has (besides varmint, antelope, deer) and have put on a Trijicon 3-9X red illuminated post on it (really one of my favorite telescopic reticles).

Lately (since the Nosler Partitions) the .257 has all kinds of tough bullets that can hold together to really go through something (like elk). The .25 has been, in a couple decades past, viewed as perhaps too light for elk.

But now? What do you think?
Old October 30, 2010, 06:44 AM   #2
lefteyedom

257 Wby will work well on elk. Shot placement is key. 117 or 120 grain will get the job done.

That said I still like a 338 win mag for Elk.
Old October 30, 2010, 06:47 AM   #3
mavracer

Given the right bullet and good shot choice/placement it should be very adequate.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 30, 2010, 09:02 AM   #4

Believe I read the 257 Weatherby was Roy Weatherby's favorite.

I had a Weatherby 257 MK V. Wish I still had it. Interestingly it had a dull sheen and not high gloss stock and was made in Germany.

Sent Roy some gun booklets I had written--looking for a market--and to my surprise got a call from Roy. His store was a short distance north of me at the time. Very nice guy. As you entered the store you seen these monster polar bear and brown bear trophies standing on their hind legs. Quite a sight. Store long gone.

Old October 30, 2010, 09:28 AM   #5
kraigwy

This is just a guess, since I've never used a 257 Weatherby. But I think it would work.

My main hunting rifle (deer & antelope) is a 257 Roberts. It's effective. I seen some nasty holes put in critters with this gun.

So I figured if you was to add 4-500 fps to the bullet (which the Weatherby would do) it should be effective elk round. I know people who use the 25-06 and it isn't much different then the Weatherby.

Actually I've seen more people goof up because they were using too much gun. Not because the gun wont handle elk, but because the shooter can't handle the gun.

It seems like with the magnums people practice only enough to develop a good flinch, where as the lighter guns, which due to the low recoil, they practice more, and learn to shoot.

Having said that, I don't think I'll be trading my 270 (elk rifle) for a 257 Weatherby.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 30, 2010, 10:22 AM   #6
sc928porsche

You can use a 25-06 to take elk at shorter ranges. I see no reason that you cant use a 257WBY.
Old October 30, 2010, 12:50 PM   #7
JohnO

"Actually I've seen more people goof up because they were using too much gun. Not because the gun wont handle elk, but because the shooter can't handle the gun.

It seems like with the magnums people practice only enough to develop a good flinch, where as the lighter guns, which due to the low recoil, they practice more, and learn to shoot."

B I N G O !!!

Very well said.....
Old October 30, 2010, 07:12 PM   #8
GeauxTide

The Remington will not have the 3/4" freebore of the WBY line, so you won't hit the factory velocity numbers. Even at 3300fps, 120s are light for 500-1000# animals (IMHO). For mule deer and antelope, electric.
Old October 30, 2010, 07:18 PM   #9
pythagorean

Quote:
The Remington will not have the 3/4" freebore of the WBY line, so you won't hit the factory velocity numbers. Even at 3300fps, 120s are light for 500-1000# animals (IMHO). For mule deer and antelope, electric.
It shoots the Weatherby Norma Ammunition just fine. I don't see how a freebore difference (if there is one) would make a difference in velocity with a Weatherby rifle.
Old October 30, 2010, 07:39 PM   #10
Dougw47

257 Weatherby

I took a good sized deer with one at 500, full penetration, with premium ammo and reasonable distance...should work fine.
Old October 30, 2010, 07:49 PM   #11
roy reali

.243 Winchester

The information included in this post is found on page 140 of Noslers Reloading Manual, Number Three. The author is Gritts Gresham.

It is in the cartridge description section for the .243 Winchester. He tells of a giude he knew named Whiskey Chamberlain. He shot 15 bull elk in a row, one shot each, with a .243 Winchester. Gresham does note that this round is not an elk round. He also states that Whiskey was great hunter and only shot when perfect bullet placement presented itself.

But if a .243 can harvest an elk, I would assume a .257 Weatherby can too.
Old October 30, 2010, 08:48 PM   #12
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Well, the 257 Weatherby wouldn't be my first choice, but as already stated, bullet quality and placement are the major issue here.

As per meat distruction also spoken of, the biggest single reason for meat loss is not caliber or velocity but BULLET INTEGRITY!

Use premimum quality bullets, like the Nosler Partition and the others we are blessed with these days, and you'll never be sorry.

Shoot the cheap cup and core style and no matter how well they shoot in your firearm, you are paying for just what you get and should expect the potential of excessive meat distruction they will gladly supply.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old October 30, 2010, 09:33 PM   #13
Colorado Redneck

I have a friend that has taken several elk with his old 25-06 using Remington Core Loct ammo. Never had one get away.

I agree with the comment by Kraigwy about the shooters of magnums often can't shoot the gun they picked. And as some old sage pointed out, the elk were nearly wiped out before smokeless powder was developed. That should give some clue as to the requirement for knock down power.

The Lewis and Clark boys killed grizzleys with black powder too. Another one of those contradictions to the magnum proponents.
Old October 31, 2010, 02:02 AM   #14
.300 Weatherby Mag

If I'm not comfortable with something, I won't shoot it or hunt with it for that matter... I know a few people who honestly have no business shooting or owning a magnum rifle, that still take it out in the field, because they feel that it's their duty as man to be able to handle a "big gun."

.257 will work, but I would much rather have a 7mm Weatherby loaded with a 160 grain nosler partition..

Last edited by .300 Weatherby Mag; October 31, 2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old October 31, 2010, 06:05 AM   #15
Lloyd Smale

I too have killed many deer with one but not an elk. Would i use one? Well yes and no. Im sure it would do the job just fine but i have rifles better suited to that purpose. I use the 257 for crop damage deer shooting and most shots are long and its probably the best gun i own for that job but if i was going to spend the big bucks an elk hunt cost an out of state hunter anymore i think id take more gun.
Old October 31, 2010, 06:57 AM   #16
truckpuller

I wouldnt be afraid of taking an elk with a .22, not saying it is ideal but where i grew up in the early 80's money was tight and shot placement was everything. I'm not talking a 300 yard shot on a trophy bull im talking about putting meat on the table. Them cows are no different than a whitetail, they give you that "shoot me" look......... If you can get close enough it is just as effective as a bow..............
Old October 31, 2010, 07:07 AM   #17
Abel

For elk, I would want a bigger bullet. I wouldn't use a 25 caliber on elk.
Old October 31, 2010, 10:25 AM   #18
Elkins45

Quote:
The Lewis and Clark boys killed grizzleys with black powder too. Another one of those contradictions to the magnum proponents.
Not that I disagree with you at all, but I do think it's fair to point out that they were terrified of the big bears. Lewis' journal was filled with descriptions of the griz absorbing multiple balls and still being in a fighting mood. Here's one I found:

"a most tremendious looking anamal, and extreemly hard to kill notwithstanding he had five balls through his lungs and five others in various parts he swam more than half thedistance across the river to a sandbar & it was at least twenty minutes before he died; [he] made the most tremendous roaring from the moment he was shot."

My personal favorite: "I find that the curiossity of our party is pretty well satisfyed with rispect to this anamal."

OK, now back on topic: I would shoot an elk with a 257 WBY and a premium 100 or 120 grain bullet, but i would rather use something with a little larger diameter if available.
Old October 31, 2010, 04:45 PM   #19
Colorado Redneck

I am chicken, so shooting a griz with a musket would terrify me

I ain't pretending to be a toughie. Just saying that we have evolved the mentality that a cannon is required to shoot game. A really well placed shot with a .257 120 gr bullet would take an elk. I haven't ever shot an elk. So I qualify as one of the members that blows smoke. I just have an opinion about this.
Old October 31, 2010, 08:16 PM   #20
GeauxTide

Quote:
It shoots the Weatherby Norma Ammunition just fine. I don't see how a freebore difference (if there is one) would make a difference in velocity with a Weatherby rifle.
The freebore of the Weatherby makes a 100-200fps difference. Not talking about the ammo. I had a 7mm Weatherby that could push 160s almost 3100fps. My 7mm Remington could not get to 3000.

I had a 6.5-06 and a 338-06 throated long and can post within 100fps of the 264WinMag and 338WinMag. FYI, the velocities were verified on my Oehler 35 Chronotach.
Old November 5, 2010, 04:37 PM   #21
ahunter

I stopped a 360 pt. bull with a .243 in its tracks. Ive seen elk run a 100 yards with large calibers in them. I think that at 100-200 yards it doesnt matter the size of a well placed shot. Its the loss of energy beyond that that will seperate the small and big calibers. You need to ask yourself how far you want to shoot. I have heard that you shoot at elk until they go down. tough animals. 257 flat shooting sonofagun. I think it will do fine.
Old November 5, 2010, 05:37 PM   #22
pythagorean

I consider 200 yards a maximum. All my life it has been this way except for the occasional coyote!
Old November 5, 2010, 08:44 PM   #23
LanceOregon

Quote:
I consider 200 yards a maximum. All my life it has been this way except for the occasional coyote!
If you can get a good solid rest, there is no reason why you could not take game out to 400 yards. With a 200 or 250 yard sight in, bullet drop will still be quite manageable out to 400. And bullet energy levels will still be adequate out to that range as well.

The key, though, is to get a good solid rest when you take such long shots. If you can do that, then shooting out to 400 yards will be very doable.

Old November 6, 2010, 01:43 PM   #24
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

PLUS about a million on the "solid rest"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally and IMHO, there is no question in my mind about the .257 Weatherby's ability to hit a critter at 400yds, the round just does not pack enough mail, even with the best/heaviest bullet available, to make it a long range elk rifle.

Deer yes, elk no.

Cartridges in the velocity class of the .257, 7mm and 300 mags, if properly sighted in, should make a 400yd shot, providing a very solid rest, little or no wind, controlled rate of breathing, good and premium quality bullet -design and integraty - almost , ALMOST!!!!!!!! a "give me."

But, does the bullet retain enough energy to properly proform IF/WHEN it gets into the boiler room? That is a major question!

For years, I have sighted in my rifles to allow for a center of "kill zone" hold out to beyond 300 ++yds. Considering almost all game is taken well below the 300yd range this means I never need to do any rapid and last minute calculations as per hold.

Just hold center of kill zone and pull the trigger. It matters little if you hit at the top or bottom of that zone, the results are the same, dead critter!

That is, until this year, as during the Summer/Spring I have begun to make a switch to the Cast boolit hunting group and suddenly find myself with a rifle that while having plenty of energy/boolit integrity for longer shots (300yds or a bit more) have only about a 200yd, center of kill zone ability.

This is with a 45/70, 355gr cast, LBT/WFN boolit at a muzzle velocity of about 2290fps.

Think what it must have been like with a 400/500gr. boolit at about 1200fps.

I Did harvest my first cast boolit critter earlier this week. About 100yds and the proformence was truely something to see. Amazing to say the very least!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old November 6, 2010, 03:11 PM   #25
ge515

Last week I shot a 6 point bull elk with my 257 Roberts near Trinidad, Colorado. I was using handloads using the 110 gr Nosler Accubond. I had the bull broadside at around 75 yards. I had to shoot offhand but made a good shot just behind the shoulder. The bull lurched at the shot and made it about 75 yds and dropped. As said by others shot placement sooo critical.