The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: What would you carry for self defense?
Lethal Weapon (Gun, knife, etc ) 271 98.19%
Non Lethal Weapon (Pepper spray, taser, etc) 5 1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 3, 2010, 10:18 PM   #51
rdx4me

In other words, choose your shot placement wisely....
Old November 3, 2010, 10:45 PM   #52
mitchell koster

I got 2 fists and no reason to fight back
Old November 5, 2010, 08:08 AM   #53
bikerbill

I carry a handgun and assisted opening 3-inch knife every day, because this is Texas. I've yet to convince my wife to get a CHL, but she does carry a Kimber pepper spray gadget ... I can see the value of spray as opposed to a gun; as one poster said, you can reverse the results of the spray ... but there are so many cases where a gun is really the only solution, unless you're willing to let the BG close to within a few feet ... for me, a handgun is really the only solution when I'm out and about; I hope I never have to use it ...
Old November 5, 2010, 10:47 PM   #54
Snowman1911

Full sized pistol (Glock 22 or 21) pair of spare mags to balance the weight of the gun and let's face it...the mag is the weak link in the chain of a bottom feeder, so it makes sense to have at least one spare. I also religiously carry a BUG in my left pocket. Lately it has been a Ruger LCR.
Old November 8, 2010, 10:17 AM   #55
ncpatriot

I usually have a knife, but it will be a rare day I use it to fight. Hand to hand combat is not my strong point. Never has been and I am older than I used to
be. I'd stand a good chance of getting killed in a knife fight.
Old November 8, 2010, 02:28 PM   #56
Stevie-Ray

Metro-Detroiter and getting older. Non-lethal doesn't even enter my mind.
Old November 9, 2010, 12:00 PM   #57
goose13

I would and do go with a firearm. It is better to have the option if necessary than need it and not have it.
Old November 22, 2010, 12:36 AM   #58
TenRing

Well, this is a gun forum so it's no surprise that over 98% of respondents will want to carry a gun. Ask the same question on one of the more liberal touchy-feely forums and the results would likely be reversed. Me? I want my .38 Detective Special.
Old November 22, 2010, 12:45 AM   #59
Mr Lucky

5" Kimber TLE RL.

— Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Capt Charlie; November 22, 2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Inappropriate addition deleted.
Old November 22, 2010, 12:49 AM   #60
egor20

RIA 3.5" .45 and 2 extra clips

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand

Last edited by Capt Charlie; November 22, 2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Inappropriate addition deleted.
Old November 22, 2010, 01:17 AM   #61
Cheapshooter

Quote:
So I got in an argument with my brother in law the other day about this. We were talking about if for some reason you only have enough room to carry the bare minimum meaning you can't carry a gun and a non lethal weapon, one or the other what would be best.
LCP The gun you can carry when you can't carry a gun.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 22, 2010, 01:39 AM   #62
5whiskey

I would prefer to carry the lethal option, and would prefer every other responsible citizen of the world to carry one as well. If more good folks with half a brain carried a SD weapon, crime other than thug on thug would plummet.

At any rate, If you need a lethal force option and don't have it, then you could be dead (you were in fear for your life, right?). If you need a less lethal option and don't have it, you more than likely can run. Even if you can't run, what damage is inflicted will feel better when it quits hurting. Who cares if you get a black eye or so? You're alive.

There are certainly times when carrying a less lethal option could save another persons life, albeit someone who is trying to inflict injury on you. IE, the possibilty of using a taser on someone weilding a knife at distance. At any rate, the less lethal option is not required, as lethal force is authorized. Though I believe any human being should use the lowest level of force practical in a given situation, the fact remains that someone is weilding a knife (in this case) against you. If they die because you defend yourself, their blood is on their hands. I would rather see someone have the option to protect their life, even though the odds of needing that protection are much lower than needing a less lethal option.
Old November 22, 2010, 01:53 AM   #63
egor20

I go with Odd Ball in Kelly's Heroes about carrying anything

Oddball: These engines are the fastest in any tanks in the European Theater of Operations, forwards or backwards. You see, man, we like to feel we can get out of trouble, quicker than we got into it.

I never ever want to ever draw my gun, but I like the fact I can "move forward" or "backward" if needed is nice

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old November 22, 2010, 01:17 PM   #64
Capt Charlie
Staff

Moderator note:

Two posts edited and one deleted for references to things that are quite unwelcome here. Let's keep it clean folks.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old November 22, 2010, 05:21 PM   #65
boredom

lethal force. if presenting, then brandishing it doesnt stop the treat, surely a few taps of the trigger will.
Old November 24, 2010, 05:30 PM   #66
Big Tom

I carry a knife, derringer, and a snubby
Old November 26, 2010, 02:15 AM   #67
raimius

Firearms are out, due to where I work.

I usually carry a folding knife and flashlight. While they are not primarily intended as weapons, they can be used as such. The knife is useful for opening packages and cutting rope. The flashlight gets used at least once a week. I pretty much carry these everywhere except the airport.

My main weapon is my mind. I don't look for trouble, so I haven't needed to use anything as a weapon in real life. Avoiding bad situations is always preferable.
Old November 27, 2010, 05:21 AM   #68
Zooky the Bear

Lethal force.

Pepper spraying a drunken guy who's just trying to start a scuffle seems a bit excessive and using it on someone who pulls a knife or gun on you is a great way to get a one way trip to the morgue.

When it comes to the question of "are you going to escape the encounter with your life?", I'll take the YES (or mostly likely) with a concealed .40 over the UH, MAYBE with pepper spray (or similar non-lethal weapon) any day!
Old November 28, 2010, 03:47 AM   #69
armsmaster270

BOTH Sig Sauer 226 in 357Sig, S&W 340PD .357Mag, flashlight & Pepper Spray.
Old November 29, 2010, 01:36 AM   #70
Smoke Screen

I carry a gun when out and about on most excursions. When waltzing around the neighborhood, hikes, etc...I also carry an ASP. Should a dog attack I feel a good snap on the head should make it think twice, and I'm not forced to pull my weapon. Now, I realize extendible batons are not legal in many states, (like my home state of Californistan) but they can conceal easy and snapping them open can be quite the deterrent. I'm not quite sure where they fall under the lethal/non-lethal category, but I'd lean towards lethal.
Old November 30, 2010, 05:00 PM   #71
stewey1

Im a big fan of the oc and pepper spray, I dislike the effects of these even more than I hate CS gas.

Me and a few mates were out on the town, one my mates whos a very big strong lad starting playing up and fighting on the street, we stepped in and broke it up but the cops turned up a short time later. my friend started resisting arrest and the two cops couldnt restrain him properly so they sprayed him whilst I was holding one of his arms, He hit the ground like a ton of crap and i got an eyefull aswell although its wasnt direct it was wind drift and I was clutching my eyes and stumbling like a drunk. situation resolved and with the cops kindly flushing my eyes out with water we went home. I went to sleep straight away. I woke in the morning jumped in the shower and got another eyeful of spray, it must have settled in my hair gell then run into my eyes.

The moral is those sprays when used properly are amazing stuff.
Old December 2, 2010, 01:06 AM   #72
charlie73

i was sprayed once when i was in my early 20's by some kids in they're 20s trying to mug me as I was leaving a party and another hit me with a golf club. witch by luck the shaft hit my arm first and it broke with out injuring me.as soon as it happend my adrenaline spiked and regardless of the mace i picked up what was left of the club and chased them down the street.if I would have gotten a hold of one of them they would have never used mace again. as soon as they were gone my eyes lit up like a christmas tree and i spent the next hour with my head in the bath tub. my point is I know what I was able to stand and do while I was maced, let alone someone on meth or mentally or just real real mean,

so yep I prepare for the worst. and hope for the best
Old December 2, 2010, 01:58 AM   #73
hondauto

I rarely get into situations of violence.I can battle my way out of most situations and land the bg on his/her ass and walk away.
If the idiot wants more and pulls a knife,gun or similar weapon,I would pull out my xd9 and see if they still wanted more.
Truthfully I hope it never comes to that.
Old December 2, 2010, 03:45 PM   #74
markj

I know the oriental art called Run Foo. All the BG will see is elbows and a##hole..... best to just avoid the whole thing this has served me well
Old December 2, 2010, 07:02 PM   #75
hondauto

This is exactly correct..
I have no problem running/walking away..
But if the ****er want's to play,well I got game and will play..
I haven't been in a situation that couldn't be handle with a little diplomacy just yet!
I do carry ccw, but won't use it unless absouloutly neccessary.
when that time comes,hopefully I'll be fully prepared.