The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #1
MurrayNevada

Right to Carry States

Do all 50 States have right to carry laws now?
Thank you
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM   #2
JimPage

It all depends what the meaning of "right to carry" is. New York has "right to carry" law, but it's danged near impossible in NYC to get a license. The rest of the state varies from county to county.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM   #3
BarryLee

You may find this site helpful:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #4
2ndsojourn

Like JimPage above said, they all have some sort of carry law(s). Most states permit it, while others, like NJ have a de-facto ban on carry.
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayNevada
Do all 50 States have right to carry laws now?
I'm going to have to pick nits here, and offer that state laws do not establish a right to carry a firearm. State laws set forth conditions under which the state grants you permission to carry a firearm.

Enumerations of rights are typically found in the constitutions of the various states, and NOT all state constitutions convey or [purport to] guarantee that right. Some proclaim the right but then go back on themselves and require a permit to carry. Others proclaim the right but only for defense of the state (Massachusetts, for example).

I guess I have to ask what your real question is. Are you asking which states have established a right to bear arms in the state's constitution, or are you asking in which states is there some legal avenue under which a person can carry a firearm?
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM   #6
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
I'm going to have to pick nits here... Enumerations of rights are typically found in the constitutions of the various states, and NOT all state constitutions convey or [purport to] guarantee that right. Some proclaim the right but then go back on themselves and require a permit to carry. Others proclaim the right but only for defense of the state (Massachusetts, for example).
I don't think you're picking nits at all. This is a very important detail to understand.

For instance, in "gun-friendly" shall-issue Texas, Article I, Section 23 of the state constitution reads as follows:
Quote:
RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.
IOW the state recognizes the RKBA in theory, but the Legislature gets to say how the right is exercised in practice, with a "view to prevent crime," whatever that means. FWIW for most of the state's history, this provision was used to prohibit civilian concealed carry, and the state continues to prohibit civilian open carry, although this may change in the current legislative session.

Last edited by carguychris; Today at 04:46 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca

Yep. I mentioned Massachusetts, largely because I find it so ironic that the state where the American Revolution began -- because the British wanted to disarm the colonials -- doesn't have a strong right to keep and bear arms.

Quote:
Article XVII. The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defence. And as, in time of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be maintained without the consent of the legislature; and the military power shall always be held in an exact subordination to the civil authority, and be governed by it.
(Emphasis added)

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Constitution