The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 19, 2010, 08:55 AM   #1
cmdc

Browning BAR

What can anyone tell me about these rifles as far as accuracy and reliability. I am interested in one.

Thanks
Old October 19, 2010, 09:31 AM   #2
pythagorean

Yes they are very accurate and very reliable. I've had them in 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06 and .300 Win Mag.
Later they came out with the Safari Grade which is really the same rifle with a few improvements.
Browning pretty much makes the best rifles in all actions to this day (to include of course Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Savage, Etc).
The Remington auto is also nice!
Old October 19, 2010, 09:48 AM   #3
cmdc

Thanks. I am thinking about one in 7mm-08 or 308. I'm thinking they would be pretty quick handling.
Old October 19, 2010, 09:51 AM   #4
pythagorean

Be careful with the receiver on the Brownings. Don't scratch them! The finish is beautiful and perhaps more sensitive to rough use than the Rem.
Old October 19, 2010, 09:54 AM   #5
38superhero

Had 1 in 7mm rem mag, accurate, reliable, beautiful and yes finish is sensitive to rough use.
Old October 19, 2010, 11:06 AM   #6
cmdc

Sensitive finish is kind of a bummer, since I want it to use. How about the Lightweight Stalker? I wanted a left-hand one, and in bolt guns that is a deal breaker, but in a semi-automatic it wouldn't bother me as much if it was right-handed.
Old October 19, 2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Fusion

Some guys claim to get moa groups with them, but the majority I've seen are very picky on ammo, and once you find and ammo it really likes 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards are about as good as it gets. There are more reports of this kind of accuracy than there are of moa accuracy although some are really accurate. These guns are beautifully made, and very reliable though. The accuracy is good enough for a hunting rifle which is what they are, but they are not target rifles.
Old October 19, 2010, 11:19 AM   #8
TheGoldenState

Get the BAR Safari!

EDIT: Not to mention, LOOK at it

Last edited by TheGoldenState; October 19, 2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old October 19, 2010, 12:04 PM   #9
zombieslayer

Yes, a BAR Safari!
Old October 19, 2010, 12:12 PM   #10
cmdc

Safaris are better? I looked at them on the Browning website. They have a muzzle break? Does that make it a lot louder?
Old October 19, 2010, 12:51 PM   #11
Scorch

One of the most accurate semi-automatic sporting rifles available. They typically shoot 1.5" or so. A BAR that shoots MOA or better is not unthinkable.
Taylor Machine
Old October 19, 2010, 05:35 PM   #12
cmdc

Is there any velocity loss with a semi-automatic?
Old October 19, 2010, 05:40 PM   #13
cmdc

I am looking for one that will be good for antelope hunting at 400 yds. I am going to go to Wyoming to hunt, and a friend who just got back from there shot one at 477 yds measured with range finder with a 270, but I am thinking that the 7mm-08 will do just as well at that range on an antelope, but I am open to advice.
Old October 19, 2010, 05:41 PM   #14
cornbush

You can get them with or without the BOSS system, there is also a BOSS that does not have the porting.
Old October 19, 2010, 06:50 PM   #15
Abel

The BOSS is about as ugly as you can get.

The non-BOSS BAR Safari in 308, 270, or 30-06 is about as nice a deer rifle as you could ever hope to have. Both form & function.
Old October 19, 2010, 07:25 PM   #16
sserdlihc

I have a BAR in 308 with the BOSS. Very accurate rifle.I bought a set of gun chaps to put on my to protect the finish. No worries for me.
Old October 19, 2010, 08:19 PM   #17
Black Frog

This year I was sucked in when I stumbled across Browning made their BAR Stalker in a 308 CARBINE configuration, limited run and non-cataloged. Synthetic stock, matte finish with fluted 18" barrel. I always wished that Browning had made a shorter-barreled semi auto.

Couldn't pass it up.

Topped it off with a Leup 1.5-5x heavy duplex and it is quite nice. Grouped exceptionally well using plain old Rem 150gr Core-lokt ammo on the first range outing:

Only complaint for me so far is that I wish the stock were a bit higher for (me) better scope alignment.
And the trigger is kinda mushy, not crisp.

....but it shoots great....
Old October 19, 2010, 09:27 PM   #18
BIG P

Have one in 7mmmag good lookin tuff no problems ever shoots around 1.5
groups its a fine hunting rifle IMO.
Old October 19, 2010, 10:51 PM   #19
Hutch11

I do not own a Browning BAR, but did purchase a used FNAR in 308(sporterized/ tacticooled version of the BAR by the parent company FN) approximately one year ago. Although my FNAR is heavy, it is extremely accurate and very deadly for hunting here in Georgia.

The only time I shot it off of a sandrest was when I sighted it in with a scope. Otherwise, I shoot it to hunt, shoot it freehand, or with a bipod (it is approximately 11 lbs with scope). I can get one inch groups at approximately 100 yards slowly shooting it at a target standing up (have in the past, with witnesses). If the current BAR is close to the FNAR I would advise a purchase. If you want an uglier (yes FNAR haters I said it) version you might look at it. Especially if you can find a seldom shot used one with heavy barrel.
Old October 19, 2010, 11:37 PM   #20
fletchbutt152

Go BAR

There are many on the used market. My Dad has one from 1981 and I've got a light weight stalker from 2001. Both shoot dimes sized groups...a dime will cover the whole group at 100 yards...with Rem Core-lokts and federal blue boxes. Both are in in 270 Win. However, the guns are to hold one in the chamber and 4 in the magazine but when I load this way, I always get a misfeed. I think there is too much pressure from the full magazine to cycle the bolt. Problem doesn't exist when I only load the magazine...3 in the mag one in the chamber.
Old October 20, 2010, 02:33 AM   #21
cmdc

Thanks guys.

I am going to get one. Now I have to decide WHICH one. I am leaning towards the 7mm-08. I have a Savage in that caliber and really like it.
Old October 20, 2010, 06:05 AM   #22
pythagorean

CMDC,

If you already own the 7mm-08 why not get a caliber to diversify?
The BAR is capable of 300 Win Mag.
Old October 20, 2010, 09:26 AM   #23
cmdc

Funny you should say that Pythagorean, because I had been thinking about it and that's I have decided to do. I really like the 7mm-08 because of the accuracy and mild recoil, but decided that it would be redundant. I am in the process of deciding which caliber and model right now. I like the idea of the Safari rifle, but don't like that muzzle break. I'll check into finding one without it. I also like the look of the Lightweight Stalker, but am also considering a dedicated left-hand model, though as I said earlier, I don't think the right-hand ejection would really bother me. I thought it was ironic that in the catalog the Lightweight Stalker is listed as being heavier than the standard model. Go figure. How do these rifles handle the recoil of the magnum calibers?
Old October 20, 2010, 09:52 AM   #24
BIGR

In 1996 I bought a Browning MK II Safari in 30.06. Due to not wanting to mess up the pretty wood stock, I put a Bell and Carson synthetic stock on it and hit the woods deer hunting. I have taken several deer with it and I must say it as accurate as some of my bolt guns. I shoot rifles left handed but I never found the ejecting cases to be much of a problem. I have often thought about buying a left hand Bar, but right now I can't justify the cost. I would have to say that the Browning is one of the best semi auto hunting rifles on the market. It beats the Remington hands down and I don't know how it would compare to a Benelli.

You have heard the positives but one last thing (negative). I have hunted in some nasty rainy weather with the Bar and had to tear it down after a day of hunting to dry the water out of it. I once put it back together and didn't get something right with the spring that makes the bolt release return to its normal position. I let a gunsmith work on it and after he worked on it that part worked fine, but on ocassion after the first shot the bolt would jam open and not chamber another round. Other words at that point I had a single shot semi auto rifle. I hated that because the Bar was my best feeling hunting rifle. Well I let another gunsmith work on it and he said he shot it and it was ok. I get back home and I am sighting in the rifle and the bolt locks back again after the first shot. It happened more than once on that range day. I got mad and put it in the gun safe, where it sits today. My main deer hunting rifles now are stainless bolt action rifles. I really don't know what to do with the Bar other than maybe send it back to Browning. If anyone else has a clue about what is causing the bolt to lock back, I sure would appreciate some feedback. I have tried different magazines and it does the same thing.

Enough said about that. If my Bar was functioning the way it should I would be carrying it this deer season.
Old October 20, 2010, 05:15 PM   #25
Abel

I shot a 7 Mag BAR once and it kicked less than my bolt action 308....or close to that anyway.