The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 13, 2010, 04:53 PM   #1
CAMPBL

Remington Question

I had a chance to handle a Pietta Remington .44 caliber NMA of 1978 vintage....first one I have had in my hands of this type although I do own several Colts.........what struck me was that the back of the trigger guard touched against my fingers when held normally.

I have a very small hand so an average/large hand would really have been cramped. The thought of what this would mean during recoil caused me to pass it bye......is this a normal characteristic of all these Remington replicas?
Old October 13, 2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Hawg Haggen

All the clones I've had do and it can be a lil jolt against that second knuckle with 35 grs of powder. The original I had didnt touch.
Old October 14, 2010, 12:34 AM   #3
arcticap

Many of the older reproductions did have smaller grips than the more recent models, and even some of the newer ones are still considered to be too small for some folks.
But if you think that the older Remington that you held was cramped, then wait until you hold some of smaller frame .36 and smaller Colt reproductions. Holding one of them can really feel cramped.
I guess that's why it's called "true love".
Some company's reproduction grips and frames are known to be smaller or larger compared to the sizes of the originals than others.

Last edited by arcticap; October 14, 2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old October 14, 2010, 03:51 AM   #4
Hawg Haggen

The grips on the newer Pietta 58's are just fat. I actually prefer the older slimmer grips.
Old October 16, 2010, 11:29 AM   #5
CAMPBL

Thanks

Many thanks for the input about the cramped effect....long, long ago I read that the Remington NMA replicas were 7/8 size due to some error regarding the blueprints that were used ....if so, maybe that accounts for the problem.....a few years ago I also recall seeing an add by an importer indicating that his repros were true to the originals size-wise.
Old October 16, 2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Hawg Haggen

A lot of the early Remington clones were Beals models which were smaller than the later 58's.
Old October 16, 2010, 12:25 PM   #7
prob

I guess I've been lucky. My ergonomics are such that I have not yet been bothered.