The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2010, 03:02 PM   #1
DarkRayz

Loaded up a .380 case as for 9mm....

Just started reloading, doing 9mm Luger only at this point.
My brass sorter let a few .380 cases into my 9mm box. Ended up not noticing as I loaded one up and into my ammo bag it went. Whilst loading up a mag at the range I noticed it.

This was a 115 grain bullet atop 5 grains of Unique powder, inside a .380 case.

What would have happened had I fired it? Or would it have failed to feed in my CZ 75 BD?

DR
Old October 10, 2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Shoney

The cases are very different, besides the 380 being shorter.

CASE--------------- 380 ----- 9mm Lugar
across base ------.374 ------ .394

diam. above
extractor groove --.374 ------ .391

Max 380 load of Unique with 115 gr powder = 3.5 gr. With your 5.0 9mm load in the smaller volume 380 case, it looks like a great recipe for a Screwy Lewie and the Big Kalooey.

TAKE THE CASE APART!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old October 10, 2010, 04:44 PM   #3
MW surveyor

^^^^What he said^^^^

How did the COL work out? You do measure I hope.

I've recently started to reload for both the 9mm and the 380 and get my brass mixed up in the range bag. Only way to make sure it doesn't happen to me is to visually inspect each case twice. Once when sorting after tumbling and the second when depriming. Found at least four 380 cases this morning out of a total of 300 rounds of spend 9 mm.

Good that you caught it.
Old October 10, 2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW surveyor
How did the COL work out? You do measure I hope.
COL should be pretty much the same as a 9mm since the relationship between the ram/shell holder and the seating die didn't change.
Old October 10, 2010, 07:22 PM   #5
frumious

Shoney, I think you mean "Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooie", which was the book that Calvin's dad always read to him in the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes" :-)
Old October 10, 2010, 09:03 PM   #6
Jim243

Quote:
This was a 115 grain bullet atop 5 grains of Unique powder, inside a .380 case.

What would have happened had I fired it? Or would it have failed to feed in my CZ 75 BD
Don't know, never tried it. That load is way too hot for the size of the case (380) should be 2.9 grains or 3.1 at the max. Might damage the gun. Might damage you. Might not feed at all because of the size of the case.

Not sure why you did not notice when you tried to resize the case that there was something wrong?? Have had a couple of 380 cases slip in when reloading 9mm and knew right a way that they were not right.

My recommendation is toss it or just pull the bullet and use in the correct case.

Jim
Old October 10, 2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Shoney

frumious

"Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooie" is a very nice story, but for reloading I prefer the "event" of Screwy Lewie and the Big Kalooey (malapropism intended).
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old October 10, 2010, 10:52 PM   #8
DarkRayz

I checked the COL on the first 20 coming off the reloader, noting it was consistent at my goal. I then only measured every 20th round or so. Is this insufficient? Measuring every case seemed excessive....

I took this round and it feeds into the gun fine! Came out fine, too....That's scary!
I need to screen the brass better!

DR
Old October 10, 2010, 11:03 PM   #9
Sport45

I've had the odd .380 case find its way into my 9mm bucket. Loading on a progressive it's sometimes hard to feel it in the resizing die. Put you gotta admit, it's hard to miss seeing the bullet setting so far out of the brass.

I wouldn't even think about shooting one, but doubt it would grenade the gun. Because of the high seating of the bullet there's not a whole lot of difference in powder space and it's still going off in a 9mm chamber. Definitely bad news if fires in a .380 though....

Again, I would never try or recommend trying a cartridge loaded like this!
Old October 10, 2010, 11:05 PM   #10
Sport45

Quote:
I checked the COL on the first 20 coming off the reloader, noting it was consistent at my goal. I then only measured every 20th round or so. Is this insufficient? Measuring every case seemed excessive....
You wouldn't see this measuring overall length because your seating die is putting the bullet in the same place relative to the base as Don H said. You pick these up because it looks like the bullet is seated very long.
Old October 11, 2010, 01:16 AM   #11
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRayz
Just started reloading, doing 9mm Luger only at this point.
You missed several opportunities to identify that you had the wrong case. I separate all my pistol cases before tumbling by caliber, just to avoid nesting. If you aren't tumbling, the you should at the very least be giving each case a once-over before resizing, looking for cracks, foreign objects inside the case, etc.

It should have been a sloppy fit in the shellholder and should have felt different when you ran it through the sizer.

You did identify that it was the wrong cartridge when you were loading a magazine, that's a good thing.

Changes your cartridge inspection process are in order.

It happens, just be more careful, especially as a new reloader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRayz
What would have happened had I fired it? Or would it have failed to feed in my CZ 75 BD?
It would certainly sound differently, have different recoil, and most likely jam the weapon. These are your cues to stop firing immediately and identify the problem.

When sorting cases, loading, firing a weapon - if something looks different, sounds different, feels different, that's your cue to stop and have a look at things.

Especially as a new reloader, take your time and go over each part of the process very carefully before proceeding.
Old October 11, 2010, 01:26 AM   #12
TXGunNut

You caught it, DR, that's the main thing. Good job!
+1 on the Screwy Lewie..., Shoney. I think it describes the potential outcome of this event accurately and colorfully. My Dillon generally crushed .380 cases when I was loading 9mm. Suggest you use a pair of pliers and destroy this case, mebbe after removing the bullet.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 11, 2010, 06:36 AM   #13
wwmkwood

I'm trying to figure how you put 5grains of any powder in a 380 case without it "looking" like a "double charge".
Old October 11, 2010, 02:53 PM   #14
DarkRayz

I'd like to know, too!

I think I'll deliberately replicate loading that 380 on the dillon so I can see and feel the difference...I'll take a picture, too.....

DR
Old October 11, 2010, 04:33 PM   #15
jmorris

Quote:
I've had the odd .380 case find its way into my 9mm bucket. Loading on a progressive it's sometimes hard to feel it in the resizing die.
Before I built my brass sorter that separates 380 from 9mm I just set my powder charge die so it would charge a 9X19 but not a 380 and the powder check die (and my eyeball) would catch it before a bullet was placed on top.

Edit: If you case gauge you will catch it then too.
Old October 11, 2010, 04:45 PM   #16
hammie

This is exactly why I've never traded my single stage rockchucker for a progressive.
Old October 11, 2010, 07:41 PM   #17
gregjc9

This is why I sort all my 9mm brass by setting it all on a flat surface, like my loading bench. This makes it a LOT easier to spot the 380, and the 9x18/Makarov cases, by the height differences. Glad you were able to catch the error in time.

Greg