The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 6, 2010, 01:03 PM   #1
kplender

Help identify/value this rifle

My father bought me this rifle about 30 years ago. Other than it being a British 303, I really know nothing about it. Here are some pictures that hopefully will help:

Also, stamped on the top it says U.S. PROPERTY. If you could, please let me know exactly what I have here. Is it possible this rifle was used in WWII? There is a social security number "etched" (you can tell someone did it by hand) in the metal (you can just barely see it in one of the pictures) and the same social security number is hand scratched on the bottom of the butt stock as well (possibly the social security number of the GI who carried it?). And, any ideas as to its value? Thanks in advance!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British 303 Picture 1.JPG (177.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg British 303 Picture 3.JPG (242.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg British 303 Picture 5.JPG (181.5 KB, 33 views)
Old October 6, 2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's a heavily sporterized No. 4 Mk I* service rifle made during WW II by Savage Arms on contract for the British.

Many of these rifles came back into the United States as surplus after the war and were sporterized to make them 'better' hunting guns.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 6, 2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Tikirocker

KP,

The No4 Mk1* Savage was part of the British Lend Lease program during WWII - it is highly likely this rifle saw action during the war. The * aspect of the Mk1 nomenclature indicates the simplified bolt release vs the Mk1 plunger type. This was realized through the cut out in the bolt way of the action body and was a war time expediency that served to speed up production. The No4 Mk1* rifles were only produced in North America ... that being the U.S = Savage and Longbranch = Canada.

Your barrel, if it is original, will be a 2 groove - sadly your barrel has been chopped and has lost the sights. As I said in reply to your PM, if you want to rub shoulders with collectors of these rifles, hit the Enfield forum link in my sig.

Tiki.