The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 5, 2010, 08:31 PM   #1
napg19

1911 Trench Style Sights

I'm looking at the colt site at the New Agent model and it says "snag free trench style sights". I guess Iv'e never seen those kind of sights before and in the picture it looks to me like there are no sights on the pistol. Someone tell me what trench sights are and does this model hold up to colts 1911 reputation. Wish I never traded my series 70 years ago. Thanks.
Old October 5, 2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

Are trench sites just a groove on top of the slide? That's my guess any way.
Old October 5, 2010, 09:23 PM   #3
KyJim

I've looked at them in the gun store but haven't shot one. IIRC, it is just a trench at the top but with a small "bump" toward the front of the trench. It seemed doable at close ranges but I'm sure someone will chime in who has actually shot one.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old October 5, 2010, 09:37 PM   #4
FoxtrotRomeo

I have not shot one. I did a search on the pistol on google and someone who shot one said that you line the center of the target at the bottom of the "trench" then fire. He said however if you need it at night in low light you're out of luck.
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]
Old October 5, 2010, 11:59 PM   #5
michael t

Its that a trench or gutter running full length of slide. It takes a little getting use to . I tend to shoot a little low with my Agent if I don't practice . They are not a target sights They for fast up close SD work . I can stay on a paper plate at 15 yds if I take my time . But here again that not close up SD .

I agree in low light you MIGHT out of luck. But you suppose to be able to ID your target So if I can ID target in low light or with a flashlight I can shoot over top of slide and hit target. . No sight are perfect 100% of time .

As to holding up Mine has been perfect from day one Their was a recall early on because of recoil springs and a bad safety found on a few So recall all to make sure .
If you prefer real sights The Cold Defender is same size pistol Only with sights, a beaver tail type grip safety, ugly grips and different finish . I also have the Defender had it the longest. I can carry either with out worry.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com