The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 6, 2010, 06:17 PM   #26
therealdeal

WOW! I didn't realize that. in that case if the guy is from the east, there is no need to go back for the court date!?! dont get me wrong, I know you aren't saying thats ok, but it just seemed by the thread OP was upset they wanted him to travel back. I thought like traffic tix or a fine they would let the guy just come back on his own, but something like that they would hold him. so much for facing up.

I got in trouble in maine when I was a camp counselor in my very early twenties. it was taken care of but the paper said 'no maine license'. I thought I couldn't drive in maine and I was scared to. yrs and yrs later I finally called the DMV. the lady was laughing. she was like, "Sir, I am reading the document. It is just saying you didn't have a maine license". I had a mass license, but I was too scared to find out because they never let mass know. the incident wasn't even really a big deal when we got into trouble, but I was clueless about the law, courts, and everything else+didn't want to lose my mass license somehow

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old October 6, 2010, 08:02 PM   #27
Conn. Trooper

Yeah, its fun to call people far away every April and October to get yelled at. I feel loved every six months.
Old October 6, 2010, 10:23 PM   #28
Aguila Blanca

For what it's worth, the OP is checking in on the post. His public profile shows he was logged onto the forum at 6:41 p.m. on October 5. He is probably interested, but won't post because he is not receiving the type of advice and support he had hoped for.
Old October 7, 2010, 12:32 AM   #29
jgcoastie

Well then he probably should not have gotten behind the wheel of a potentially deadly weapon while intoxicated.

Anybody else care to guess how in the flying blue hell he ended up asking this question on TFL, a firearms forum???
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old October 7, 2010, 12:41 AM   #30
zxcvbob

Quote:
Yeah, its fun to call people far away every April and October to get yelled at. I feel loved every six months.
You should get married.

Edit: by that I don't mean to the lowlife you are calling every six months, I mean get married in general. Nevermind; it could have been a funny joke but I blew the delivery.

Last edited by zxcvbob; October 7, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old October 7, 2010, 07:11 AM   #31
johnbt

"in virginia(messed up law: 80 or more even on a highway posted 70speedlimit is automatically a reckless driving"

Doing 15 mph over the posted limit is reckless driving too. For instance, 40 in a 25. They won't always charge you that way, but they can.
Old October 7, 2010, 03:41 PM   #32
brickeyee

It is 20+ over the limit OR 80 MPH no matter what the limit.

Quote:
§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+46.2-862
Old October 7, 2010, 05:43 PM   #33
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.
Why do I not have a problem with this?
Old October 7, 2010, 09:59 PM   #34
Powderman

To the OP:

Make sure you make it to Court for your scheduled date.

You do NOT want an FTA (Failure To Appear) warrant on your record. Sure--it's for a misdemeanor offense. But the warrant can turn up at the most inopportune times--like during a NICS check, a background check when applying for employment, etc.

Other than that, GET AN ATTORNEY. If you don't have one already, GET ONE.