The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2013, 03:02 PM   #1
2ndtimer

Alliant Power Pro 1200-R

Anyone have any experience with Alliant's new double base spherical Power Pro 1200-R? It is supposed to be similar in burning rate to their Reloder 10x. Since most of the usual suspects for loading .223 ammo have disappeared, I went ahead and ordered a pair of 8 lb kegs of it. At least it is made in the USA. I am guessing it is close to Accurate 2200 as well. Hoping that someone has tried it and would appreciate any comments.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:15 PM   #2
black mamba

I just visited Alliant's website and found no such powder. Did you mean Power Pro 2000-MR? This is a near equivalent to their Reloader 15, and if anything, it is a bit slower than RL-15. It works great with heavy bullets in 35 Whelen and 9.3x62 Mauser, as well as heavy bullet loads in 308 Win.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:30 AM   #3
2ndtimer

Thanks for the reply, BM. Apparently, it is Alliant's new stealth powder. It doesn't show up on their website, but if you check their loading data for the .223 Rem, they list data for it, but when you click on the link for 1200-R, it takes you back to their home page!?! If you want to see a picture of the container, here is a link to Midway's site:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/524...un-powder-1-lb
Kind of interesting. Probably helps explain why it is still available online. People haven't caught on to the fact that it can be used to load the .223 and will probably (fingers crossed) work very well with the lighter bullets, 55 gr and under. FWIW, I got my 8 lb kegs for $30 less each than Midway is charging..
Old January 14, 2013, 06:30 PM   #4
5R milspec

and they all so make R33 but you cannot find it on their site either
Old January 14, 2013, 09:01 PM   #5
2ndtimer

Interesting about the Reloder 33, maybe that helps explain why RE-33 is also showing as available on my distributor's website, along with the Power Pro 1200-R, when RE-7, RE-10, RE-15, RE-17, RE-22 and RE-25 are all out of stock. They do still show 1 lb containers of RE-19 available, but probably not for long.
Oh, and they also show Reloder 50 available in both 1 and 8 lb containers.