The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 2, 2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Uncle Buck

Tula Primers

Has anyone ever used Tula Primers? I have never seen them before, nor heard of them.

I am interested in both Large and Small Pistol. Thanks.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:18 PM   #2
SomeGuyInMidwest

These are the same as Wolf primers at a slight discount. They are made in the same factory and have the same product ID's.

I am sure there are plenty of opinions about wolf primers on this forum (good and bad). I have personally not used them, so will not opine.
Old October 3, 2010, 05:48 AM   #3
Uncle Buck

Thanks. I have used Wolf primers with-out a problem, but I wonder if I should take a chance on these... I am sure others will be along shortly to let me know.

At least now I know who manufactures them.
Old October 3, 2010, 01:16 PM   #4
floydster

Have been using Wolf and Tula primers in all my pistols the last year and a half, nary a problem.
Old October 3, 2010, 01:30 PM   #5
zxcvbob

The Wolf primers I bought 2 or 3 years ago are among the best primers I've ever used. Those SP primers are brass colored, and the SR primers are copper. Many people have reported problems with Wolf SP primers bought within the last year (maybe it's just one lot number, I dunno) and those were nickel colored.

I just ordered 5000 more Wolf SR primers and some Tula pistol primers, large and small. They got here Friday but I haven't yet opened a tray of each to see what they look like.
Old October 3, 2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I just looked them up. At less than $18/1000, you don't have to buy many to make up the hazmat fee. They may be selling at an introductory rate to get the brand known, but that kind of pricing could begin to put the affordable back into reloading. I note they are offering CCI competition on military hard magnum primers, too. Tulammousa.com.

In general, Russians are very big fans of competitive shooting and under the old Soviet Union, put a lot of development work into sport shooting, including powder and ammunition. I see no reason these wouldn't keep up with the best on quality. I'll be interested to hear what results people get using them for group shooting.
NRA Patron Member
Old October 3, 2010, 04:10 PM   #7
DogoDon

Where can you buy Tula primers online? I checked both Cheaper Than Dirt and J&G Sales (both listed on Tula's web site), and neither of them appears to carry the Tula primers.
Old October 3, 2010, 05:17 PM   #8
zxcvbob

I bought them from PowderValleyInc.com but then someone reported seeing them on sale ridiculously cheap at Natchez.
Old October 3, 2010, 05:38 PM   #9
rogn

Tula

Ive used the LRM Wolfe and the Tula LPM, these in 45 colt/h110 loads. They seem to be more accurte than the loads w/CCI-LPM. Same seems to apply to 7 & 300 WSMs. The other consistant thing is they tend to bet a bit oversized. This is OK if youre stretching the pockets, but a bit of a nusiance otherwise. tHE lrmS DO NEED A GOOD FIRING PIN STRIKE IN COOL WEATHER. Pardon fat fingers.
Old October 3, 2010, 05:53 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Natches is where I looked. You have to use their internal search to find the Tula brand, then scroll down. They don't come up when you click on primers for some reason.

Powder Valley wants $20/1000 for the Tula brand, but they have some Wolf primers for $18.50. Go figure. Double-check who is asking what for shipping and handling. The price difference may or may not disappear when you factor that in.
NRA Patron Member

Last edited by Unclenick; October 4, 2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old October 3, 2010, 08:08 PM   #11
Uncle Buck

Graf and sons had them on sale for, I think, $20.00 and a friend of mine said he found some out at a gun store around St. Louis.

Glad to know they are as reliable as the Wolf primers. (I have had no problems with Wolf.)
Old October 3, 2010, 08:24 PM   #12
ragsxd

they are good primers.had good luck out of them
Old October 3, 2010, 11:38 PM   #13
chris in va

Lots of issues in small and large pistol. One in 20 would get a light primer strike and require a second hit.

I was told the primers need a firm seat, harder than you're used to. Didn't want to mess with it anymore and went back to CCI.
Old October 4, 2010, 09:39 AM   #14
totaldla

Can't comment on Tula, but avoid Wolf Large Pistol Magnum. They aren't "magnum" and do not work well at all with ball powders.
Old October 4, 2010, 09:53 AM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

Light strike would sure be an indication of a high primer cushioning the firing pin blow. I don't know what the cup thickness or diameters for the KVM (Tula and Wolf) pistol primers are? They may require firm seating. When I got my Square Deal back in the late 80's, I found CCI a lot harder to seat than Federal, Winchester, and Remington and kept getting high primers with them, and haven't bought their pistol primers since. I understand they addressed this at one point, but haven't found a need to buy any to verify it.
NRA Patron Member

Last edited by Unclenick; October 6, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old October 4, 2010, 09:55 AM   #16
Uncle Buck

Totaldla Wrote:
(Post #10 here - http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422337 )

Quote:
Remember - the subject is Wolf Large Pistol MAGNUM primers. Experience with other primers doesn't count.
And all this time I was asking about Tula Primers. But I do not mind, because there are going to be other reloaders looking at this and if they can't find Tula, maybe they can find brand XXX.

I have not had any problems with the wolf primers (Large/small or magnum) that I have used.
Old October 4, 2010, 10:22 AM   #17
LAH

Quote:
The Wolf primers I bought 2 or 3 years ago are among the best primers I've ever used.
Plus one........Creeker
Old October 4, 2010, 02:29 PM   #18
totaldla

I may be mistaken, but doesn't everything come from Tula? I.e. isn't "Wolf" just a brand name for Tula arsenal product? If so, then the names "Tula" and "Wolf" are interchangeable.
Old October 5, 2010, 12:49 AM   #19
BDS-THR

As to Wolf primers being harder to seat and causing high primers which lead to misfires caused by primer anvil not engaging, the Wolf/TulAmmo LP measurements are indeed slightly larger than Winchester LP:

0.2909" - Winchester LP
0.2910" - Wolf LP
0.2910" - TulAmmo LP (measured a slight bit smaller than Wolf - like 0.29098")

Seat them firm and below the case base (0.004" below) and you should be fine in setting the primer anvil.
Co-Ax has a nice article on properly seating primers (2/3 way down the page).

Old October 5, 2010, 08:46 AM   #20
LAH

Thanks for the link.............Creeker
Old October 6, 2010, 09:31 AM   #21
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalda
I may be mistaken, but doesn't everything come from Tula?
Everything comes from KVM. Tula and Wolf are both KVM product in different packages. I think the names are created by the importers. You used to be able to buy the KVM label, but it's gone in the U.S.

BDS-TR,

Looks like you've got a missing or misplaced zero in there somewhere. Large boxer primers are nominally 0.210" which is why more than one brand has "210" in its part number.
NRA Patron Member
Old October 16, 2010, 11:02 AM   #22
BDS-THR

Quote:
Looks like you've got a missing or misplaced zero in there somewhere. Large boxer primers are nominally 0.210" which is why more than one brand has "210" in its part number.
Ooops, you are right. I miss-read the dial.

It should be:

0.210" - Winchester LP
0.211" - Wolf LP
0.211" - TulAmmo LP
Old October 16, 2010, 08:59 PM   #23
cb_98

With the good reviews I'll have to give them a try. CCIs and Winchester are getting too steep for my blood.
Old October 17, 2010, 11:00 AM   #24
James R. Burke

I stick prerry tight with the CCI for most everthing. Neve had a ftf or any problem ever.
Old October 20, 2010, 10:39 AM   #25
Unclenick
Staff

BDS-THR,

Then there is the issue that most calipers are only good to about 0.001". You might want to invest in a thimble micrometer that resolves 0.0001". Almost essential if you want to slug bores accurately. You have to wipe the anvils off and zero mechanically before each measurement and subtract the offset from your final reading, but it is a way to get the numbers pretty exact.
NRA Patron Member