The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 2, 2010, 01:29 PM   #1
deepcore

M1A Scout vs Full length pros and cons

Hi
Curious to hear from those who have shot both
full and compact versions of Springfield M1A.
Do you lose anything with the shorter Scout (besides the
weight)?
Thanks
Old October 2, 2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Loader9

My brother has one of each. I see no difference in the shooting ability of the rifles. Recoil is the same or at least the felt recoil anyway. Both shoot under an inch at 100 yds with 4 power scopes. If he's going to take one hunting, the Scout comes out. He hunts for a living BTW.
Old October 2, 2010, 05:40 PM   #3
SR420

I have two 22", two 18" M14s. The 18" barrels are more rigid and tend to be more accurate.
The 18" barrel has a shorter sight radius and lacks the muzzle velocity produced by the 22" barrel.
This reduction in muzzle velocity becomes apparent beyond 800 yards or so.

My favorite general purpose M14 has an 18" barrel.
Old October 2, 2010, 07:19 PM   #4
deepcore

Hoping to eventually get one. And since can't afford both....
I guess a scope or dot sight would compensate for the shorter
sight radius of the Scout.
Do you think handloading could compensate for the lost velocity
with/of the Scout?
Do you think the regular Scout is more accurate than a full size National
Match M1A?
Thanks
Old October 2, 2010, 07:47 PM   #5
kraigwy

The standard lenth barrel (22 in,) is legal in HP servicer rifle matche.

The 22 in barrel has a longer sight radius, making for better shooting.

The 22 in barrel, using standard loads (42 grns 4895, 150 - 175 grain bullets) has no detectable muzzle flash at night.

I don't by the 18' shooter barrel being more accuate because its more ridged line of thinking. Match shooters, even when not hampered by Service Rifle Match Rules use the standard lenth (22 inch) barrel. If the 18 inch barrel was more accurate, whouldnt the army have used it in the M21 platform?
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 2, 2010, 08:20 PM   #6
srkavanagh6621

I would guess that the longer barrel would give you a little more velocity but it has been proven that a shorter or longer barrel does not affect accuracy. I have the scout and i really like its handiness. I did scope it so the sight radius isnt a big deal but i love how it shoots. Only thing is make sure to wear ear protection because holy hell is it loud! Either way you cant go wrong with a M1A except the price! But they are worth every penny!
Old October 3, 2010, 12:56 PM   #7
Jo6pak

My observations

I own a M1A scout an really prefer it to the standard length rifle. My freind has a 22" M1A and likes his better than mine. It's more of a personal choice I think. We both have mounted Trijicon Accupoint scopes and they perform similarly out to 150 yards. As the range increases the Standard 22' bbl begins to outshine the shorty, as far as consistency.

I like the quicker handling of the scout, and since most of my shooting is under 150 yards, I will sacrifice long range accuracy.
Old October 3, 2010, 01:19 PM   #8
SR420

Quote:
kraigwy

I don't by the 18' shooter barrel being more accuate because its more ridged line of thinking.
Neither did I... until I proved it to myself. The 18" is more rigid and it does tend to be more accurate than the 22".

The 22" can accurately deliver rounds well beyond the reach of the 18" barrel and that is why the M14 EBR-RI, M39 and M21 still use the longer tube.

The new 16.25" M14s that will be made for a particular ARMY unit will be very accurate out to around 600 yards.

Last edited by SR420; October 3, 2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old October 3, 2010, 03:34 PM   #9
Ridge_Runner_5

Pros to the Scout is it is lighter and more maneuverable.
Con is that it is much much louder
Old October 3, 2010, 04:16 PM   #10
SR420

Quote:
Ridge_Runner_5 Pros to the Scout is it is lighter and more maneuverable.
Con is that it is much much louder
The single Con can easily be turned into another Pro by upgrading to a flash hider or a better brake
Old October 3, 2010, 10:06 PM   #11
Ridge_Runner_5

How would a flash hider or muzzle brake change the volume? Well, aside from the brake making it much louder?
Old October 4, 2010, 07:29 AM   #12
stubbicatt

I remember reading somewhere that the velocity loss per inch of barrel in the case of the 308 was about 30 fps. So someone is telling me that 120 fps difference in muzzle velocity will allow the 22 inch barrel to reach out much further than the 18" barrel?

I've seen military ammo shot over the sky screens with nearly a 90 fps extreme spread in velocities. I imagine something like this will have a bit of vertical dispersion at ranges over 300 meters anyways, but it still hits on the same target.

While it may be somewhat off topic, I guess that is why I opted to load the Lapua Scenar 155s in my bolt gun, as they have the same BC as the 175 Sierra Match King, but you can get a couple hundred FPS out of them which is supposed to stretch the supersonic range to about 1200 meters or so, if you believe the online software. (The comeups are right on out to 800 as predicted by the software).

Also, as anybody who has shot highpower for awhile will attest, there are "fast" barrels and "slow" barrels for the same ammo, and one never knows what he will get when he rebarrels his receiver. While probably not close to 120 fps, I imagine a fast 18'er will shoot right up with a slow 22, don't you suppose.
Old October 4, 2010, 11:22 AM   #13
XD9GUY

M1A bbls

Since I just purchased an M1A about 2 months ago, I'm somewhat partial to the 22" bbl for target shooting. However, I was at a gun show about a month ago and a dealer there had a M1A Socom 16. What an awesome looking weapon. The 18" bbl's are OK but they just didn't do anything for me. whereas the 16.25" bbl had me going back 3 times just to handle that baby. I can't imagine how bad that thing would be in close quarter shooting. Bad thing is, now I've got another craving. I'm seeing that you really can't have too many guns
Old October 4, 2010, 11:42 AM   #14
thesheepdog

My opinion:

A Scout will be more accurate out to 600-800 yards than the Standard M1A, due to a shorter barrel, resulting in less flexibility of the barrel.

A Socom is an awesome weapon, but with the velocity decrease and massive report and muzzle blast, I think an AR in 6.8-if you need the extra power-or a standard 5.56 will do much better.

I don't know if they make fluted barrels for the M1A, but that would be my next option.