The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 1, 2010, 10:04 PM   #1
45ACPete

S&W Pre-Model 10 M&P 32-20

I bought this gun recently at a good price, I think. It appears to have been shot very little as it's very tight, locks up solidly, and there's barely the hint of a line between the cylinder notches. The bluing is good with just a slight bit of holster wear on one side of the muzzle. I got it for $315 before tax and DROS added. One thing--someone applied white paint to the recessed area at the rear of the sight groove, just ahead of the hammer. I suppose the idea was to create a contrast with the front sight. How to remove this paint without scratching the gun? A sharpened wood golf tee doesn't faze it. Any ideas?
Old October 2, 2010, 09:29 AM   #2
FlyFish

Assuming that it actually is paint, you should be able to take it off with paint remover without hurting the blueing. Check an inconspicuous area (like on the frame under the grips) first to be sure.

I bought a Colt Trooper MKIII that had what I was pretty sure was red nail polish on the front sight. That came off with acetone (active ingredient in nail polish remover) in about 10 seconds with no damage whatsoever to the blueing.

That is an amazingly great price on that gun, BTW. Congrats. Not that it matters, but it's not a pre-10, which would have to be .38 caliber.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3
carguychris

Nice pickup! One other note: when buying commercial ammo, make sure the box doesn't say "Rifles Only", "Not for Revolvers", or something similar. Some ammo companies used to market hot-rod .32-20 ammo for rifles with receivers much stronger than the cylinder in your revolver. Most of these loads were taken off the market decades ago, but this is one of those cartridges that tends to linger on store shelves for a while.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Try alcohol first, then acetone. You might find that it's something like Liquid Paper.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 2, 2010, 11:10 AM   #5
hammie

What Mr. Irwin said. I would try alcohol, acetone, paint thinner, and then lacquer thinner, in that order. Of course, oil the gun's surface afterwards.
Old October 2, 2010, 05:00 PM   #6
45ACPete

S&W pre-Mod. 10 32-20

Sorry, Fly--S&W M&P's were made in both .38 and in 32-20. The advice to use acetone is sound for removing paint but NOT paint remover. That stuff is very caustic.
Old October 2, 2010, 08:38 PM   #7
FlyFish

Pete - Yep, I'm aware that there was a .32 M&P, but that was .32 S&W Long (not .32-20) and not the same gun that you have. And even the .32 M&P (pretty rare gun, with production ending in 1950) really isn't referred to as a "pre-Model 10" because it was the postwar .38 M&P that continued production after 1957 as the Model 10. SCSW refers only to the .38 M&P as a pre-Model 10, and I'll take Supica's word for it.
Old October 3, 2010, 12:46 AM   #8
45ACPete

My reference, limited as it may be, is Paul Wahl's "Gun Trader's Guide." Mine is the 23d edition--copyrighted 2000. He gives values for several variations of the model 10 38 M&P DA, starting with the model of 1902. Three pages later there are three lines under the heading "Smith & Wesson 32-20 Military & Police DA. I quote; "Same as M & P 38, except chambered for 32-20 Winchester cartridge. First intro. in the 1899 model, M & P revolvers were produced in this caliber until about 1940. Values same as M & P 38 models." My gun has a five in. barrel, serial number 47xxx.