The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 19, 2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Fighting Turkey

GARATE ANITUA & CIA - Eibar(ESPANA)

My father gave me this pistol, I would like to find out more information on the firearm. The serial number is 42620. have says "GARATE ANITUA & CIA - Eibar(ESPANA)" across the top of the barrel and "FOR 38 SPECIAL AND U.S.SERVICE CTG" on the left side of the barrel. It also has a "MADE IN SPAIN" printed on the left side of the gun near the handle. It needs to be cleaned. Looks like it is in very good shape.
Old September 19, 2010, 02:57 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

IIRC they were knockoff handguns made in the 1920-1930 range and generally were on the lower end in terms of quality.
Old September 19, 2010, 03:22 PM   #3
RJay

If you google Eibar Handguns / old Spanish Handguns / Ruby Handguns l Eibar Spanish Revolvers you will find a wealth of info. Note of caution, If your handgun is safe to fire do not fire any type of Plus ammo in it. While some of the old Spanish Eibar handguns are of decent quality, most of them are made out of cast steel ( pot metal ) wihich is brittle and the internals use a soft steel which wears very rapidly. Sorry about that.
Old September 19, 2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well, that gun apparently was made somewhat earlier, as it makes reference to the "U.S. Service Cartridge," which was the .38 Long Colt. The Long Colt was officially out of US service in 1911, but was more or less out of service in combat zones a lot earlier than that because of the .38 Long Colt's deficiencies in stopping determined opponents.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 19, 2010, 08:16 PM   #5
James K
Staff

I suspect the Spanish simply copied the marking on an early S&W M&P model which was marked that way. At least it beats "Use cartridges that fit best", which turns up on some Spanish guns.

Actually Garate, Anitua & Cia. made fairly decent revolvers, mainly copies of Smith & Wessons, both top breaks and hand ejectors. (And at least they put their names on the guns!) Top break revolvers made by both Garate, Anitua and Orbea Hermanos were used by the British in WWI, chambered for the .455 Webley. Still, they are not of really high quality and I would not fire any Spanish revolvers of that period.

Jim
Old September 19, 2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I suspect the Spanish simply copied the marking on an early S&W M&P model which was marked that way."

Hum... Possibly a very good bet.

Which, to the best of my knowledge, would mean that it would be one of the earliest Military and Police Models (sometimes called the Model 1899 S&W).

It was, to the best of my knowledge, the only S&W revolver ever so marked.

Old September 19, 2010, 08:52 PM   #7
James K
Staff

Hi, Mike,

The use of that marking by S&W is rather odd. There were two markings: ".38 S&W SPECIAL/& U.S. SERVICE CTG'S", and ".38 S&W SPECIAL CTG." Normally, one would think that they would use one marking, then go to the other one, and many books assume that is the case, with the former marking being first then dropped when the .38 Long Colt was no longer the service cartridge.

But it seems that both markings were used together, with no rhyme or reason for one over the other that I know of. My Model 1899 (11xxx, about halfway through production) has only the latter marking, yet I have seen other 1899's as well as Model 1902's and early 1905's with both markings, and this is confirmed by Neal and Jinks, who say both markings were used through the serial number ranges. Apparently, the dual marking did not completely vanish until the Model 1905 Second Change in (at the earliest) 1906.

Jim
Old September 19, 2010, 09:04 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I didn't know that the marking was continued that late.

I suspect what it was done because S&W was, during that time frame, trying to capture military contracts.