The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Would you support an organization that will fight for Texas gun rights?
Would you support an organization that will fight for Texas gun rights? 8 80.00%
Do you think such an organization would be a waste of time? 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 14, 2010, 07:29 PM   #1
CliffH

Would you support an organization that will fight for Texas gun rights?

There's been some talk in the thread at http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/g...tml#post189614 about starting a Texas Citizens Defense League, similar to the Arizona Citizens Defense League.

We'd be starting from scratch, but would have the support of the AZCDL and possibly other state CDL's. The original goal would be to push for open carry, but all other gun related legislation would be fought for - including parking lot carry, campus carry, repealing the 51% provision, etc.

Last edited by CliffH; September 14, 2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old September 14, 2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

What would this organization add to the mix that isn't being done by existing organizations?

It seems to me that VCDL and AZCDL were successful because open carry was actually legal in both of those states so they could educate the public and local police departments. In Texas, open carry isn't legal. The law would have to be changed before you'd even be in the place that VCDL and AZCDL were most effective.

If the first step is changing the law, then how is a new organization going to be more effective at lobbying?
Old September 14, 2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Any .45

I would definitely support an orginization like that!

As far as lobbying, for law change you must go where the money is. I've been working as an engineer in the oilfield for the last six years and have met many politician at local petroleum clubs, many of them local, some of them state wide, but also many people with friends in high places, and lots of money. For the most part, alot if not all of these people are strong 2nd amendment people. Just a thought.. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old September 14, 2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Bud Helms
Staff

Any .45, Just in case you need some more disc space for signature, we have a couple of terrabytes unused right now.
Old September 14, 2010, 09:02 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

It's always good to have another pro-2A organization, if things are done right.

Issue #1: relevancy. Define a clear agenda. What is it that needs to be changed in your laws, and how do you go about getting there? Will your strategy aim more towards the legislative side, or will it be fought in the courts?

Issue #2: staffing and leadership. Make sure the leadership all have the same agenda. Get experts. If they're going to be collecting dues, be sure that all money is accounted for.

Issue #3: consistency of mission. Once your goals are defined, stay on target. Avoid getting mired in other political causes. Make sure you have clearly-defined spokespeople, lest some yokel on the street ends up claiming to be the "voice" of your organization to the wrong people.

Issue #4: make allies. Get with your local NRA coordinators. Be present at their dinners and functions. Co-sponsor a few shoots. It's cheap. Don't be discouraged if Wayne LaPierre himself doesn't show up; remember that you're fighting a local battle.

(#4A: treat politicians and law-enforcement as friends. Don't respond to ignorance with anger. Avoid slogans and stick with convincing.)
Old September 14, 2010, 10:43 PM   #6
Any .45

Hey Bud, thanks for the offer, I have had the same signature since 2004, I don't think I have anything else to add to it just yet, thanks again for the offer. .

Tom, Really good advice. Those look like good fundamentals and good ideas for publicity, don't forget the sponsoring young hunter/ shooter safety courses and maybe even little league sports, etc, be active in the community it helps let people know you're organization is the good guy. People love people that take care of kids.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"