The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 13, 2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Southern Shooter

1972 Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum...Proper cast bullet size

***See Corrected Information***
I have a 1972 Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. I am starting into reloading and bought up some ***(HSM did not make these bullets. Rim Rock Bullets made them) Rim Rock hard-cast 240 grain LSWC bullets http://www.rimrockbullets.net/catalog/ which measure at .430 ***(NOT .429 as marked on the box but actually .430). THEN, I was told that Ruger Super Blackhawks are known for "sloppy" standards on cylinder throat and barrel sizes. That they normally were measuring .431-.432. And, that I should have the cylinder throats measured and the barrel slugged to determine a proper fit.

Now, understand, I love Ruger guns. I have 7 Ruger handguns and 1 Ruger rifle. So, I am NOT trying to bash them. Anyway.........

Can anyone verify or refute this claim??

What am I to do? Give away the .430 sized bullets and buy more after determining the proper size?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; September 14, 2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old September 13, 2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Snobal

I've been casting my own .44 Mag bullets since the late 70's.

I got good accuracy with bullets sized to .430"

I got even better accuracy (and less leading) with bullets sized to .431" (in one S&W 29 and two Redhawks from around 1980). I'm still shooting one of those two Redhawks and it still loves lead bullets sized at .431"

However, I would not call it due to a "sloppy" cylinder or barrel, but rather "normal" to size bullets a little on the big size to effectively seal the cylinder/barrel.

I have never had any luck with store-bought cast bullets --- but never found a revolver that would not shoot well with my home-cast bullets when I could play with the alloy, size, powder, etc.

JMHO - YRMV
Old September 13, 2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Edward429451

The thing to do is to go ahead and shoot them up and use bigger boolits next time. My Ruger RH likes .430 boolits.
Old September 13, 2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Slamfire

Quote:
And, that I should have the cylinder throats measured and the barrel slugged to determine a proper fit.
It is easy to measure the cylinder throat, take your calipers and measure the outside diameter.

You can also take one of your .429 bullets and push it through the cylinder throat. Compare the resistance to a JHP.

After having done all of that, just ignore everything you "heard" about inaccurate Rugers, go load those bullets, and shoot the thing.

I shoot .429" bullets all the time in my 1982 SuperBlack hawk. It shoots fine.

Old September 13, 2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Quantrill

The bullet must fit the cylinder, Mine seems to like .430
Old September 13, 2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Southern Shooter

Crude check...

Ok, I took out the Blackhawk cylinder and dropped in the .429 bullets...one in each chamber. NONE of the bullets fell freely through the throat. All had to be pushed through. Now, there was not much resistance...but, NONE fell freely through the cylinder throats.

This was repeated several times with the same bullets rotated to different chambers. Still the same results.

Then, this was done several times with several new selections of bullets from two different boxes of the same HSM brand bought a month apart. Again, same results. NO bullets fell freely through the cylinder throats. Not much resistance...but, a small amount felt when pushing the bullets on through.

Input? Advice?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; September 13, 2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old September 13, 2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Slamfire

Quote:
Then, this was done several times with several new selections of bullets from two different boxes of the same HSM brand bought a month apart. Again, same results. NO bullets fell freely through the cylinder throats. Not much resistance...but, a small amount felt when pushing the bullets on through.
Sounds wonderful.

Load your bullets and go shoot the thing.
Old September 13, 2010, 09:17 PM   #8
jhenry

My Super Blackhawk has throats at .430 and the barrel slugs out at .429 with no constrictions. These things sometimes have a wee constriction at the juncture of the barrel and frame. I would go ahead and slug the barrel and the throats to be sure. You are better off with the throats very slightly larger than the bore. If it shoots to your liking as is then fine, if not, the throats can be opened up to whatever you like. Fairly inexpensive. I use purchased LSWC 240 grainers sized to .430 and it shoots very well. I have a target right here that measures 3/4 inch by 1 1/2 inch at 25 yards for six shots with iron sights. I think a better man on the trigger and a scope could do better.
Old September 13, 2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

Load 'em up, and shoot away!!!
what's to loose? If they aren't as accurate as you like then try something else. My loading bench has been dismantled and stored for a few years, but when I did load, my '72 vintage Super Blackhawk did just fine with my own cast bullets. Lyman # 429215 210 gr gas checked made from the Lyman #2 alloy, and sized to .429
I don't remember the powder make and charge, but you need to work your loads up to their best yourself.
I always found that experimenting was a big part of the fun of handloading. I gotta get back to it soon!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 14, 2010, 08:26 PM   #10
Southern Shooter

See Corrected Information

Please see the corrected information in the original post.
Old September 15, 2010, 08:40 AM   #11
Southern Shooter

***More Information on Rim Rock Bullets***

I just received a response from Rim Rock Bullets concerning these particular bullets I purchased.

"Bradley, these bullets have a brinell hardness of about 15 and the alloy
used is 2% tin-7% anti-91% lead. This is the mix HSM wants us to use.
But I believe they are sized to .430. Frank"

If they fit my cylinder and barrel well, what could be possible velocities this bullet could be pushed? By the way, these are beveled-bottom bullets.

Thanks
Rim Rock 44_Cal_240_gr_SWC.jpg

Last edited by Southern Shooter; September 15, 2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old September 15, 2010, 01:11 PM   #12
Ole 5 hole group

It would appear your throats may be a tad under 0.430, which is fine. The 0.430 sized bullet will be sized down to your throat diameter upon firing causing a small rise in pressure, still no big deal. The bullet hardness is such that it will probably expand & seal in the barrel just fine and there should be no leading issues. Seems to me everything is good to go, so go out and shoot some good groups with your revolver.

Since the bullets aren’t gas checked or around 22 BHN I’d keep the velocity below 1,100fps and below 1,000fps would probably even be better to prevent leading. Put it this way, when you see leading – back off the throttle.