The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 9, 2010, 12:47 PM   #1
Departed402

Is DPMS good?

Kind of what the name implies. My dad has been thinking about buying and AR-15. DPMS seems like one of the less expensive brands in our area, which is good, but my dad wants to be sure he's not buying a bad brand. I read that they're the 2nd largest AR producer blah, blah, blah.

I'd appreciate input.
Old September 9, 2010, 12:52 PM   #2
precision_shooter

They are not the worst, but not the best.

I would look for a S&W M&P15 over the DPMS. They are usually priced pretty reasonable...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 9, 2010, 12:54 PM   #3
nathaniel

My brother loves his its accurate and dependable. My DPMS I shot about 250 rounds out of it and I could get 30 rounds in a 12x12 target I took off the crappy Tapco hand gaurd I put on it and put on the stock hand gaurd and my groups shrunk ALOT. They are a good rifle just make sure what you put on it is quality.
Old September 9, 2010, 03:45 PM   #4
kaylorinhi

Mine

My DPMS is decent, it is not a FN out of the Cosmiline or anything but it shoot's reliably and straight-enough for me to use as SD/HD/Stay frosty with gun. The quality and finish are what you would expect of a gun in their price range. I say go ahead and take the next step up to an M&P or other in the next $200-300 more range. Again not a bad gun but I would suggest a little higher quality.

Mike

PM me and I will give you some in-depth pics and more info on my personnel exp.
Old September 9, 2010, 04:16 PM   #5
Technosavant

I've used some DPMS parts in builds, and quite honestly, while they work they just aren't up to the levels of brands that cost not much more. While anecdotal evidence is only that, I've read enough on them to not feel entirely comfortable with them but I don't consider them true junk either.

They're ok. They're a value brand, and I'd consider them as low on the pole as I would go or recommend. Not much more money starts getting you into better rifles right quick.
Old September 9, 2010, 04:37 PM   #6
thesheepdog

They're average. Good but average. Poor fits with most lowers (loose fitting)
Old September 10, 2010, 03:45 PM   #7
MTT TL

Sad really. They were leading the market there for a few years but have been outpaced by the heavy competition in the AR market. They seem to be going for the budget AR market lately.

But I am thrilled with the products I have from them, LR-308s.
Old September 10, 2010, 03:52 PM   #8
demigod

DPMS is one of the more problematic guns in Law Enforcement Training. It's a commonly purchased gun by LE agencies making the selection on price and NOT on quality.

If you're not going to be defending your life with it, and just want an economical gun for recreation, it will probably be fine.

A Colt, Daniel Defense, or BCM AR can be had for not much more than DPMS. And NO ONE ever buys a good AR and wishes he'd have bought a mediocre one. The reverse is not true however.
Old September 10, 2010, 11:56 PM   #9
Quentin2

A couple people have said aim a little higher for S&W and I think that's good advice. DPMS, RRA, BM and Oly work ok but for not much more you can move up to S&W quality or maybe ArmaLite. For a little more you can move up to the even better BCM, Spikes, DD, etc. And of course there's Colt, LMT and Noveske but the price is getting up there.
Old September 11, 2010, 07:10 AM   #10
Nanuk

DPMS is fine, thier customer support is great. My DPMS 308 shoots everything I run in it and shoots to 1" with any decent ammo.
Old September 11, 2010, 07:26 AM   #11
geetarman

DPMS is very popular here in Arizona. I see a lot of them locally at the ranges here.

I have two and they shoot just fine. I had the LR308 out yesterday and ran 60 rounds through it and then ran 60 rounds through an M1A.

A fun day all the way around.

There were some issues with a run of magazines that did not function well. That problem is long gone.

I would buy them again.

Geetarman
Old September 11, 2010, 08:02 AM   #12
rude robert

I have bought one from ammo bros, although its not a true dpms, the upper has been stacked in all the right places. It has a double star lower, the trigger is very nice, breaks clean. It is more accurate then I can shoot, very little play between upper and lower and finish seems okay. I reload and it shoots them really well, If i could afford to compete though, where money is no option I would get something else but. If people are so concern on home defense and someone comes to your home with another ar, just shoot them and now u have theirs as a back up if you want. Shot gun is better for home defense anyways, just my 2 cents..............maybe it's only .01$
Old September 11, 2010, 08:05 AM   #13
Rifleman1776

A friend bought one that would not even chamber the round.
How it passed a final quality control check is a real puzzlement. Unless they don't have one. I thought all firearms had to be test fired before shipment.
Old September 11, 2010, 08:24 AM   #14
geetarman

Rifleman1776,

There MUST be more to the story.

Geetarman
Old September 11, 2010, 10:07 AM   #15
Technosavant

Quote:
DPMS, RRA, BM and Oly work ok but
IMO, Olympic is below DPMS, and RRA and Bushmaster above them. They don't seem to have the issues with chambers and bolts breaking at the cam pin hole that has affected DPMS in the past.
Old September 11, 2010, 10:32 AM   #16
nathaniel

Quote:
DPMS is one of the more problematic guns in Law Enforcement Training. It's a commonly purchased gun by LE agencies making the selection on price and NOT on quality.
The local swat team has DPMS and they all love them. They tell me they dont have any issues with them. The sniper even has one in 308. I know the sniper personally and he said they tried the new M&P and they wouldnt trade their DPMS's for them. Im not saying that some of the rifles that come out of the factory arent up to par and have problems but ANY gun maufacturer has a few lemmons go out through their doors. If you do get a lemmon call customer service they are very helpfull. I called them about what hand gaurd they suggest and I got helped right away and with a friendly manner, and they also sent me a catalog so I could order parts they suggest.
Old September 11, 2010, 10:37 AM   #17
taylorce1

I had a DPMS AP4 from 2004-2008 and it performed flawlessly. Never had an issue with it and it ate everything I ever fed it. I just got tired of handloading for it on a single stage press and black rifles just aren't my thing. So when Obama got elected, I was able to sell it for what I paid for it and then some, but I sold a few extras with it as well. If I ever get the itch for another Mforgery I wouldn't hesitate to consider another DPMS.
Old September 11, 2010, 11:34 AM   #18
briang2ad

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html

If you DON'T want to spend $1000, I'd get a Spikes LONG before a DPMS. They are Milspec except for the barrel - which is still a good grade of steel:

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...ndex&cPath=113

They are not on the "chart" because they are small.
Old September 11, 2010, 12:15 PM   #19
cwb

i was going to go with a dpms... but i ordered the spikes tactical le m4 for $799. i here nothing but great things about spikes stuff. cant wait to try it out
Old September 11, 2010, 02:30 PM   #20
cw_mi

From what I have read , I was under the impression that DPMS was middle of the road. A nice budget brand. I've got several Franken AR's that I've assembled.
I just purchased a DPMS upper ($412 shipped from Midway) for a Spikes lower. I did throw in a Thunderbolt BCG though. I will hopefully be able to shoot it next weekend. My others are a Stag upper w/LAR lower and a JD machine upper w/Mega lower (not finished) I figure these are all middle of the road guns. Hopefully I have good luck with the DPMS. I just mainly plink/range shoot with them so I don't really need a high end gun, these work fine for me.
Old September 12, 2010, 01:39 PM   #21
Bigfatts

My AR is a DPMS Panther 16" SS heavy upper in .223. It's mainly just a gun to take to the range and shoot. Overall I like it more than my friend's Bushmaster and worlds better than another friend's Oly. Some have said they are a poor fit for most lowers, but I had no problems with the Delton I used for the build.
Old September 12, 2010, 06:57 PM   #22
Controlledpair

Literally just walked in the door from a trip to the gun store, the smith and armoror both agreed that DPMS or Daniel Defense were the best bang for the buck. The armoror actually elaborated and said DPMS will do anything you ask of it and more, walking out the door under $1000. The only issue was that while they had two brand spanking new DD carbines in the store they would have to order the DPMS. Said sometimes it takes quite a while for them to show up. Basically when I buy I am going with enough for the DD and hoping they can get a DPMS in less than 4 weeks. If not, I'll walk out that same day with the DD... For about $300 more.
Old September 13, 2010, 01:00 AM   #23
Quentin2

Don't know the actual prices you saw and if they're reasonable but in general an extra $300 for a DD is money well spent. You can't always trust the opinion of experts whether talking face to face or online. This is why it's so important to do the research and become your own expert.

Of course I'm just another guy online but I'd study that google spreadsheat linked above!

Last edited by Quentin2; September 13, 2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old September 13, 2010, 01:15 AM   #24
salvadore

I had one years ago, stainless heavy free floating barrel, put a jp interprize trigger on it. TSD was right, upper and lower recievers weren't tight, put one of those accu wedge thingees or whatever they are called to deal with the slop. The trigger was great but the accuracy sucked, sold it at a loss.
Old September 13, 2010, 10:53 AM   #25
Departed402

Thanks for the input

My father ended up buying a DPMS last Saturday from Cabela's for $850. I managed to pass along some of your knowledge to him before he made his decision. He said he looked at a few brands and he felt fine buying. It looks pretty standard with carrying handle and from placed sight. He also bought 400 rounds for it, and he asked me to help him break it in. We put 100 rounds through it and we didn't have a single hiccup.

Once again thanks everyone. I'll be sure to let everyone know more of what I think of it after our hunting/shoot-a-palooza trip next month.

Last edited by Departed402; September 13, 2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: to add price

Tags
ar-15 , dpms