The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 3, 2010, 09:27 AM   #1
CameronP

Pietta Quality Variances

Over many dark hours I've pondered about this:
Do any of you think that Piettas supplied and sold by Cabellas may be of a lessor quality than those supplied and sold by Taylors and Co. ?
I guess the difference in price between the two companies prompted my question.
My recent acquisition is an Pietta 1858 Navy from Taylors and Co. It is a beautiful piece. Every thing functions and it shoots very well.
Old September 3, 2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Noz

No
Old September 3, 2010, 10:09 AM   #3
R.O

I think that different prices has nothing to do with quality of the pietta guns
difference in price for the same gun is found everywhere,

Last edited by R.O; September 3, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old September 3, 2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noz
No
+1.

The last Cabelas/Traditions/Pietta revolver I bought - engraved Hickok model '51 Navy - has one of the smoothest out of the box actions and lock-up of anything I've bought to date. Fit and finish is near perfect. Now if Pietta would just get rid of them trumpet shaped grips I'd be a happy camper.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 3, 2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Cameron

Welcome to the forum!

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson
Old September 3, 2010, 12:46 PM   #6
R.O

the engraved hickock gun is a very beautiful gun ,I would like to own one
Old September 3, 2010, 02:21 PM   #7
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noz
No
+2
Old September 3, 2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Fiv3

I don't have a lot of experience with different BP arms, but I just put 50 rounds through my newish Pietta '58. Smooth action, accurate, and easy to clean up. The only issue I got was a bit of Walker-Drop with the lever.

But that was only when I was going "magnum" and packing the cylinder full and firing for effect

I don't think I've ever got more bang for my buck than I have had with my Pietta.
Old September 3, 2010, 03:45 PM   #9
Howard31

Pietta quality.

I think quality of Piettas is hit and miss.You either get a good or you don't.I don't baby my guns,I literally shoot the hell out of them.I have 3 barrels in the shop right now having loading lever catchs welded in.My Cabelas' 1860 lost the front sight the first trip to the range,had a dovetail cut for a new sight. A typical day at the randge is 200 to 400 rounds down range.I shoot 28 - 30 grains of Pyrodex P , 30 grain pellets or Triple 7 all with .457 rnd ball . I have conversion cylinders for the 58 and the 60 and shoot 255 SWC over 16 gran 4227. Last Fridays outing was 300 rds 45 LC Colt and the trigger/bolt spring broke..
Of the 4 Piettas I have only one runs like a timex .I have one Uberti 1860 and it runs like a swiss watch,Thanks MJN77.
I was at the range yesterday,today and I will be there tomorrow.I don't baby my guns ,they are made to shoot and that what I'm going to do.
Old September 3, 2010, 04:36 PM   #10
g.willikers

So, Howard31, you're the guy causing all that smoky air pollution in the northeast.
Old September 3, 2010, 04:44 PM   #11
Hardcase

Holy smokes Howard, you're a machine!!!
Old September 3, 2010, 05:16 PM   #12
Howard31

Wear em out,get a new one.

I am Lucky that I belong to a small club and most times I have the range to my self.I am fairly new to BP altough I only shoot subs because BP is hard to find in NY .I am just curious as to exactly what Cap & Ball is capable of.
There have been times I have actually smoked my self.It's a learning curve as to what Powder,what cap and what size ball works best and then I am limited as to what is available at my local shops.Remington #11 caps works best with my Tresso nipples but all I can find is CCI #11 Magnums and they don't fit well. My Pietta 51 likes CCI #10.
I have VTI on speed dial,can't count the number of lever catches I bought.I have soft soldered them and that did not work,I have expoxied them and was equally futile.Thought about silver solder but it requires too much heat. I will keep you up dated on welding.
Old September 3, 2010, 05:31 PM   #13
rep1954

I bought a Pietta 1851 Colt Navy 44cal. from Cabelas half the screws on it were buggered up right out of the box and had been touched up with a magic marker or something like it. Something like that means no second chance with me.
Old September 3, 2010, 09:58 PM   #14
denster

With Cabela's if you get a gun you jujst don't like you send it back and it only cost a few bucks using the included return label. If something is actually wrong with the gun you call them and they will eat the return shipping charge and send you a new gun or refund your money. If you keep a gun with problems from Cabela's it's your own fault.
Old September 3, 2010, 10:16 PM   #15
ClemBert

I agree denster. Anyone who isn't satisfied with a Cabelas product should seek a replacement on Cabelas dime. If they sit back and do nothing then they have nothing to complain about. Cabelas has a satisfaction guarantee. To cry and complain when Cabelas offers a satisfaction guarantee makes no sense.
Old September 3, 2010, 10:59 PM   #16
Zathras

well, I followed your advice guys, and have a replacement 1851 navy 36 cal on the way to me, and sent the one with the blemished and dented grips back I got last wednesday..Cabelas didnt quibble with me, and they promised to inspect the replacement before shipping it..they were very nice, and ate the shipping both ways..I will have it tuesday...God...its a realy purdy piece...cant wait to get it back.
Old September 4, 2010, 09:32 PM   #17
Hawg

If you want a really nice one get the CCH 58 Remington with checkered grips.
Old September 4, 2010, 10:10 PM   #18
denster

+1 on that Hawg. I've got a pair of them and they are nice.
Old September 4, 2010, 11:46 PM   #19
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen
If you want a really nice one get the CCH 58 Remington with checkered grips.
A pair of them is on my 'Gonna Get Someday - as long as I can get them at the right price' list.

Fm
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 5, 2010, 12:58 AM   #20
denster

They are on sale again Fingers. All it takes is a wave of the plastic
Old September 5, 2010, 09:55 AM   #21
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by denster
They are on sale again Fingers. All it takes is a wave of the plastic
STOP THAT!

I just got my AR10 build paid off, I want to see at least one "balance due zero" statement before I charge into things.
Old September 5, 2010, 11:23 AM   #22
denster

MCRB. That "balance due zero" can cause a shock to the system that can induce tremors and hypertension wich will require expensive medical attention. Wouldn't you rather spend the money on worthwhile things like guns, ammo etc. Rather than make some rich doctor richer. Makes sense to me
Old September 5, 2010, 11:54 AM   #23
Hawg

He has a point MCB.
Old September 5, 2010, 07:44 PM   #24
mike in nc

"If you want a really nice one get the CCH 58 Remington with checkered grips."

Ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so what exactly is a CCH 58 Remington???????????

also,,,, how do you quote?
thanks
Old September 5, 2010, 07:54 PM   #25
denster

Cabela's offers a Pietta 58 with color case hardened frame (CCH) and checkered walnut grips. Maybe not historicaly correct but really well finished and very comely. (That means "purty" Hawg)