The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 2, 2010, 02:39 PM   #1
jonny steele

S&W Sigma Trigger Pull??

Got this gun new 2 years ago, maybe shot 200 rounds thru it, and it seems to have a hard/long trigger pull. I know then gun needs the harder pull )10-12lbs) to operate correctly, but it also seems kind of grainy and not so smooth. Is there any way to fix this? Any suggestions maybe?
Old September 2, 2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Young.Gun.612

Youtube is your friend!

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OhO5-SvbDs

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iesiG...eature=related
Old September 2, 2010, 02:51 PM   #3
jonny steele

I saw that vid and im sorry, but im not going to listen to a guy that is replacing springs with a spring from a ball point pen!! lol

Ive seen several vids talking about removing the pigtail spring and other springs but i dont want to remove parts. Ive been told you can replace springs with lighter springs, but i dont want to butcher my gun with office max supplies, lol.
Old September 2, 2010, 02:55 PM   #4
rsxr22

25 cent trigger job!!! It is the first thing i do when i buy a new glock. It will significantly smooth the trigger out, but it is still heavy
Old September 2, 2010, 02:59 PM   #5
jonny steele

What do u mean?? You do the pen trick??^^^
Old September 2, 2010, 03:29 PM   #6
rsxr22

no remove the trigger assembly and polish. Go to youtube and type in 25 cent trigger job and watch the video's. It is super simple and helps a good amount
Old September 2, 2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Young.Gun.612

Ok, well, buy the springs from a gun supply store, and do the trigger job yourself. Don't need to use all the parts he does, just follow the directions.
Old September 2, 2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Leejack

Just shoot the sigma. Just shoot it!

That's all that's required.
Old September 2, 2010, 07:40 PM   #9
doc540

call S&W customer service

tell them the trigger is "rough" and "gritty"

DO NOT tell them it's "stiff"

they'll email prepaid postage

ship the frame

about 10 days later it'll show up VASTLY improved at no charge
Old September 2, 2010, 07:46 PM   #10
Young.Gun.612

Would that affect the trigger weight? Or just make it smoother?
Old September 2, 2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Wilkenstein

I just cut a few coils off of each spring and polished the crap out of everything. Helped a bit, but still heavy.
Old September 3, 2010, 08:38 AM   #12
jonny steele

ok, i did talk to there warranty dept. They said the 10-12lbs is needed for the gun to operate without error, but they said there should NOT be any grain or grit on the trigger and should be smooth. I told them this was not the case with mine, and they are going to take a look at it for me. Thanks guys.
Old September 3, 2010, 08:44 AM   #13
kraigwy

I fixed mine Sigma the old fashion way:

I dryfired the crap out of it, I shot the heck out of it. Now its not much differant then most of my double action revolvers.

The only problem I had with the Sigma is it throws brass to never never land. I need three grand kids just to keep track of the brass when I shoot it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 3, 2010, 08:47 AM   #14
jonny steele

Ive actually had brass land in my shirt pocket, hit my wife in the face behind me, had one hot brass go down my shirt, lol
Old September 3, 2010, 10:19 AM   #15
doc540

"ok, i did talk to there warranty dept. They said the 10-12lbs is needed for the gun to operate without error, but they said there should NOT be any grain or grit on the trigger and should be smooth. I told them this was not the case with mine, and they are going to take a look at it for me. Thanks guys."

Well, there ya have it.

They've done three of mine for me and done them all on their dime.
Old September 3, 2010, 04:42 PM   #16
Onward Allusion

Shoot another 5 hundred rounds through it. The trigger will smooth out and your shooting skills will improve on other pistols due to the crappy trigger.

Quote:
jonny steele
S&W Sigma Trigger Pull??

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old September 4, 2010, 12:41 PM   #17
O'Dell

I bought my 9VE over a year ago, and didn't really like the trigger - it's not that I didn't know ahead of time. It only had a few rounds through it, but I called S&W and voiced my concern. They paid to ship it back, kept it for six days and returned it. I took it to my LGS and compared the returned pistol to a new one. Not much of a sample, I know, but if the stock one had a 10-12 pound trigger, mine had about a 7-8 pound pull. It also seemed shorter for some reason. I still don't shoot the gun as accurately as my DA/SA SIG's, M&P, or XD, but I don't think it's the gun's fault. If I took the time to practice and learn the trigger, I'm sure it would do just as well. I still think that $249 after rebate, is a great price for a hi-cap 9mm that has been 100%. When I sold all my 9mm's but three in a move to 45, the SW9VE is one of the three I kept.
Old September 4, 2010, 07:55 PM   #18
ET.

I bought a Sigma 2 years ago. I had a problem with the firing pin. When I sent it in I included a note about the gritty trigger. When it came back it was sooo much better. You will enjoy it after they work on it. I took mine out yesterday after not shooting it for a year because of this thread. I kept the shots in the center cavity of the body shaped target (5 pts,) at 20 yards (60 ft.) It was the best I've ever shot it. I like the body shaped targets with this gun because it is a PD type gun.
Old September 4, 2010, 08:34 PM   #19
wvshooter

Quote:
Got this gun new 2 years ago, maybe shot 200 rounds thru it, and it seems to have a hard/long trigger pull. I know then gun needs the harder pull )10-12lbs) to operate correctly, but it also seems kind of grainy and not so smooth. Is there any way to fix this? Any suggestions maybe?

I'm not a gunsmith but I've got a Sigma 9ve and a Sigma 40ve. I've done work to both of mine to improve the triggers. You describe your gun's trigger pull as long, heavy and gritty. Here's my take.

The trigger pull was designed to be long. It can be shortened but that would be a major modification and I wouldn't have it done even by a very talented gunsmith. If you want a trigger with a shorter pull to sear release and a shorter travel forward to reach trigger reset buy a different gun. One that is designed to operate with shorter trigger travel.

Heavy trigger pull. The trigger can be lightened somewhat by removing the "pigtail spring" and replacing the outer trigger return spring with something lighter, ie ballpoint pen. I don't like the idea of clipping coils off springs but that's just me. These spring have nothing to do with how hard the firing pen will strike the bullet primer. Their only function is to reset the trigger after the gun fires.

I havn't checked with a trigger scale but my guess is you may be reducing the trigger from 10 - 12 lbs to about 8lbs. For a semi auto it's still a heavy trigger. Compare to Glock or XD.

Gritty trigger. When working on my guns I found that the striker spring/assembly contributed zero grittiness to the trigger pull. Likewise, the trigger pull mechanism also did not contribute to trigger grittiness. All of the grittiness in my triggers was generated by the action of the sear release traveling over the plastic lobe. I was able to polish some of it out by working on both pieces but no amount of smoothness or lubrication could get all of the grittiness out. I concluded that the design of these two pieces was just inherently producing grittiness.

Bottom line, "it is what it is". If you want a lighter, say 4.5 lb trigger buy a different gun. Likewise if you want a shorter or smoother trigger. I do like both my Sigmas but I understand they were designed as entry level guns. That means they are less expensive and lacking in refinement. An M&P, a Glock, an XD or a Ruger SR9 is a much better plastic pistol if it's a plastic pistol you're looking for.