The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 1, 2010, 07:09 AM   #26
slayerjatt

i wouldn't keep it under my pillow but i do have my carry weapon on the side table right next to the bed with a flash light. the gun isn't loaded but a full mag is in and safety is off.
Old September 1, 2010, 07:15 AM   #27
ClayInTx

I keep a Smith & Wesson, .357 Magnum, K-frame, 4” barrel, DA, six shot revolver, Serial Number 69069, made in 1956, with some holster wear on the tip of the barrel, some scratches on the grip, with traces of the indexing pawl around the cylinder, with the finish showing wear but still in good shape, which I got for a decent price from a pawn shop in 1982, loaded with Winchester .357 Magnum, 110 gr., JHP, which I bought at Wal-Mart, in a nightstand drawer.
Old September 1, 2010, 07:18 AM   #28
ZCORR Jay

My girlfriend is quite the pistol does that count? I have no pistols as of yet so it would be quite uncomfortable sleeping with my mosin nagant.
Old September 1, 2010, 07:55 AM   #29
CajunBass

Whatever gun I happen to be carrying goes on the dresser next to the bed at night. That's about as close as I get to "sleeping with" a gun.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 1, 2010, 07:57 AM   #30
Rifleman1776

Yes. On a shelf right near my head. No children in household. Gets put away when grandchildren are visiting.
Old September 1, 2010, 08:26 AM   #31
Magnum Wheel Man

my carry battery is in a ( unlocked when I'm in bed ) locker only 2 steps from my bed... we have the 2 dog early warning system, that allows me plenty of time to take those 2 steps to the locker... where there are way more loaded guns than I have hands to hold
Old September 1, 2010, 08:29 AM   #32
mete

In the old days your teddy bear protected you .I guess they've been wimped out now too !
Old September 1, 2010, 08:49 AM   #33
FoxtrotRomeo

Aside from a possible guardian angel, I keep my 1911 near me but not in the bed. It's always in the same place on the left. I have no kids and it's put away when my lil nephew visits. Gun locker is behind the door so may God help the poor sob that walks into the house uninvited...

The only thing I ask of my guardian angel is that if something goes down that he don't hog the action. lol
"The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." - Albert Einstein]
Old September 1, 2010, 08:58 AM   #34
stevelyn

Several. Not so much a handgun, but from about May through October I keep a light equipped 870 stuffed with Brenneke slugs leaning against the wall next to the bed.

My intruders/prowlers are more likely to be furry four-legged critters with claws like army sabers. My house and smokehouse wear the scars from such passers-by.

The probabilty of running into four-legged critters keeps the two-legged riff-raff away.

Squished bugs on a windshield is proof the slow/heavy bullet theory works.
Old September 1, 2010, 09:11 AM   #35
Dwight55

1911 and an old AR are both within arm's reach as I sleep.

As a kid growing up, I always wondered why my step dad slept with his hatchet under his side of the bed on the floor.

I put the hatchet under my wood stove.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old September 1, 2010, 09:12 AM   #36
Tucker 1371

My 1911 stays loaded 24/7 and sits on the nightstand while I sleep. There's also my AK and my grandfather's 10ga loaded with 00 in the corner.
REV. 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Old September 1, 2010, 09:17 AM   #37
MW surveyor

Clay in TX

Wayyyy more information than required

Not in bed. Hate to think of what could happen. Holster clipped to bed rail in easy reach of right hand. Second on night stand, little bit longer reach.

In my previous life I was a captain on ocean going tugs and had to wake up right away at any time. Still do it.
Old September 1, 2010, 09:20 AM   #38
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yep! Add me to the "I DO" list...

Brent
Old September 1, 2010, 09:46 AM   #39
AH.74

Normally my carry gun goes in the nightstand in a soft holster with a velcro retention strap. Same for my wife's on her side.

In a hotel we do the same thing- nightstand drawer.

The only time so far that I have ever slept with the gun IN the bed with me was last year. My manager took us on an overnight team-building retreat to a place in the woods that was like a big camp.

My gun stayed in the truck until that night. There were only 3 of us guys assigned to a large bunk-house where we spread out in the room. I was hanging around outside until the others were asleep.

When it came time to hit the sack myself I put the gun, in the same soft holster with the velcro retention, inside a loosely-folded towel and tucked that into the corner where the bed butted into the corner of the walls behind and to the side of my head.

I didn't trust it to be inside my bag or under the bed where it would have been possible for someone to get to it while I was asleep.
Old September 1, 2010, 09:58 AM   #40
spclPatrolGroup

I keep my glock 19 in a gunvault on my night stand, teh rest are all in the safe. I figure if I can enter in the combination, then I am alert enough to know whats happening.
Old September 1, 2010, 10:16 AM   #41
pax
Staff

Hogdogs,

Love the holster.

pax
Old September 1, 2010, 10:20 AM   #42
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quick access safes, like a Gun Vault, are the obvious answer to any safety concerns. Yes, it will cost you a precious second or two. Some situations, HogDogs obviously, can make do without it. Me, with a 4 year old and 2 year old, I need quick and safe. A Gun Vault, or something like it, is the best compromise.

To directly answer the OP, yes, my Glock is in the Gun Vault less than an arms length from my bed.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old September 1, 2010, 10:33 AM   #43
Eagle0711

I have two dogs that will warn of danger, then two handguns, a 45 ACP in 1911, and a Glock 17, also a flashlight. The guns are slightly out of reach so that no mistakes are made because of dreams. I feel secure with this set up.

If you can't shoot faster than the other guy, shoot straighter. Chic Gaylord
Old September 1, 2010, 10:35 AM   #44
pgdion

The gun is close but not loaded. I keep the gun and a loaded magazine near the bed (in a locked case as I have kids, kids have friends, ect ... therefor unlocked loaded guns are not wise around the house). I need seconds to open the case and even less time to load the magazine. Racking the slide is a natural action after loading the magazine, happens all in one smooth motion. I practice this part, unlocking the case and loading the mag, and know I'm plenty well prepared this way. It helps of course being on a second floor as that buys time from an attempted brake in. Of course the gun is the last defense anyhow, my house has a good 2 stage security system (perimeter zone for arming while at home at night), cameras watch the driveway and the back yard, and the #1 defense, a large very loud dog (very friendly, the perfect family pet, but he doesn't like strangers or strange sounds). I'd be amazed if I ever needed the gun, but it's there just in case. Oh yea, and my wife keeps a baseball bat under her side of the bed (she doesn't like guns).
Old September 1, 2010, 10:45 AM   #45
kaylorinhi

Guns in bed?

This is my pistol this is my gun,
This is HD this for fun!

sorry had too.

I sleep with my Kimber headboarded and sitting on my copy of "On Combat" by LtCol Dave Grossman, My RackMate keeps her M&P .45 headboarded and sitting on her copy of "The Praying Wife" by Stormie Omartian.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a Gun"

As for the sleepyness and such, my 12g is in the closet only five feet away and the Kimber is enough to get me to my Shotgun.
Old September 1, 2010, 11:02 AM   #46
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Thanx Pax! The pistol would routinely get knocked off the table when the dogs go to playin' and such... My Homer slipper solved that and I thought it looked pretty neat too... Note the "tactical" position that the grip is presented... It is just a .22 but it would take down the "Rebel Bunnies" that would taunt the yard dogs...

Brent
Old September 1, 2010, 03:13 PM   #47
Whirlwind06

Slight thread drift here, but I would like to point out that Grandma is showing proper finger placement. Her hand gun looks like it is Arminius Titan Tiger.
Old September 1, 2010, 03:19 PM   #48
aarondhgraham

I don't sleep with it per se,,,

But there is an Uncle Mike's holster screwed to the rail of my bed,,,
A Colt Trooper in .357 Magnum lives in the holster.

I live alone so there is no danger to anyone but me,,,
It is usually covered by the bedspread.

I positioned it so that when I am lying on my back,,,
My hand falls naturally to where it is placed.

Some people think I am paranoid but I really don't think I am,,,
I was a Boy Scout and I never forgot our motto.

I'm not paranoid,,,
I'm simply prepared.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 1, 2010, 03:21 PM   #49
DiscoRacing

I have four or five next to the bed loaded... but not in bed with me...just in arms reach.
Old September 1, 2010, 03:36 PM   #50
markj

They always said my wife is a pistol she just tore off the top 1/3 of her middle finger left hand. She dumped her dirt bike in the field, top of the finger went pop. I call her 9 and 2/3rds now she can still shoot tho....
Closed Thread