The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 30, 2010, 05:12 PM   #1
WhyteP38

Mini-14/30 Rear Sight Question

Can I retrofit a new-series Mini rear sight to my 196-series Mini-30 with the old-style flip up disc rear sight?

The attachment screw seems to be in the same spot, but there's a pin on the new one, which makes me think a conversion will require a permanent alteration (and which I'd rather not do unless necessary).

Also, is there a decent rear sight option that will fit instead?

Thanks in advance.
Old August 30, 2010, 07:51 PM   #2
rduckwor

Check out the perfectunion.com. Mini owners hang out there and there are some sight posts that you will find helpful.

Good luck,

RMD
Old August 31, 2010, 05:37 AM   #3
bamaranger

two I know of

I don't now if the new sight will fit the old rifle. I kinda doubt. Seems like RIFLE magazine just ran an article and said it wouldn't, but I'm not sure.

There are two sight options for the old style rear dove tail I know of: one sold by Williams, not sure of model, but I have one and it's for sale. If its OK w/ Forum rules, PM me and we'll see what we can work out.

The other option I know of would be the XS ghost ring.

I took the Williams off my Mini, put the factory folding aperture back on, and installed a Leupold 1-4x.

Couldn't afford an XS at the time I bought the Mini. Now I could, but the eyes are not as sharp and the scope is a better option. The factory peep would not adjust high enough to put my 135 gr reloads to point of aim at 100 yds. The Williams was a bit cheaper than the XS and did the job. I shot it as a "ghost ring" but have the reduced insert as well.
Old September 1, 2010, 06:08 PM   #4
WhyteP38

Well, I ended up sending an e-mail to Ruger's customer service folks, and their response was like that of the gatekeeper at Oz: "Not no-way; not no-how." (Actually, they were pleasant about it.)

To bamaranger: Incoming.

Thanks, folks.