The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 29, 2010, 06:17 PM   #1
X_shooter

Pointing an empty handgun when rounds run out?

I was flipping through the DVR and saw a Personal Defense show that I recorded for S&G's. The trainer advocated racking the slide and pointing the gun at the target in a last ditch effort once all mags are depleted.

That thought had never occurred to me as a tactic. I might be tempted to throw it first. I think if I was running through my last mag I would be retreating anyway if possible. Has anyone tried this or considered it if the time comes?

This goes beyond drawing and pointing to ward off a potential attacker. The SHTF already and you are out of options. Thoughts?
Old August 29, 2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Jo6pak

Sounds like a pretty risky bluff to me.

Retreat may be the best option
Old August 29, 2010, 06:21 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

I have thought about it also... but never really made up my mind... with the amount of ammo that I carry I would hope it wouldnt come to me being out of ammo... but...I would probably point and assure the target that I have one rd remaining and If they hold...It will be the last thing they see in this lifetime.
Old August 29, 2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_shooter
...The trainer advocated racking the slide and pointing the gun at the target in a last ditch effort once all mags are depleted....
In any case, on most handguns I'm familiar with, you won't be able to drop the slide by racking it with an empty magazine seated. If you want to drop the slide with an empty magazine in place, you'll need to use the slide stop.

But if you're out of ammo, you will definitely need to go to plan B. Whether the best choice for plan B will be bluffing with an empty gun will depend on the exact situation. There may be better options.
Old August 29, 2010, 06:34 PM   #5
USAF_Vet

If you're shooting at them, have gone through all your ammo, and they are still around that means to me that they are intent upon using lethal forge against you. In a case like this, retreat might be the best option. I'm not gonna stop shooting and hope they get scared at a gun pointed at them, since after all, it's not only been pointing at them for awhile, but shooting at them as well. A bluff like this is dangerous, so unless you're getting prepped for a bayonet charge, might want to think about an exit plan.
Old August 29, 2010, 06:35 PM   #6
CMichael

Quote:
I was flipping through the DVR and saw a Personal Defense show that I recorded for S&G's. The trainer advocated racking the slide and pointing the gun at the target in a last ditch effort once all mags are depleted.

That thought had never occurred to me as a tactic. I might be tempted to throw it first. I think if I was running through my last mag I would be retreating anyway if possible. Has anyone tried this or considered it if the time comes?

This goes beyond drawing and pointing to ward off a potential attacker. The SHTF already and you are out of
I saw the same episode. It's better than nothing. He was advocating retreating as well.
Old August 29, 2010, 07:29 PM   #7
THEZACHARIAS

Depends on the situation. If you are not the only one returning fire and your buddy still has ammo, it may work as a distraction to take fire off your buddy. But the likelihood of empty gun tactics playing a major part in a one-on-one gun fight is pretty slim unless you are (A) Denzel Washington in a hospital ER, or (B) extremely lucky. Retreat
Old August 29, 2010, 07:49 PM   #8
TylerD45ACP

Sound like Carlitos Way with Al Pacino lol. "Ok im reloading" with dumping the mag releasing then racking the slide. If my firearm is out of ammo I am getting OUT of there if the situation allows. I would probably release the slide anyway to bluff if my life absolutley depended on it.( Best not to try this with a revolver guys because you'll end up dead but I think most people know that.) I never plan on running out of ammo because if I load my last ammo and shoot a couple rounds and its not over, Im going to be running with my last bit of ammo on me. I never want to RUN out of ammo.
Old August 29, 2010, 07:55 PM   #9
summitrt

Unless you have great cover and a way to make a quick escape, I would not try to bluff.

I am sure that I avoided getting robbed by simply looking at the suspected robbers and while moving my hand inside my jacket as if I was getting a grip on a pistol on my hip. They started crossing the street towards me and then they both turned back to their side of the road. It was in a city that CCW is very restricted. I was lucky.
Old August 29, 2010, 08:52 PM   #10
2cooltoolz

I didn't see the episode. It occurs to me that if I have run out of ammunition, the fight is ON!! Blood is hot, people aren't weighing the odds anymore, most BGs are just pointing and shooting.

I'd bail.
Old August 29, 2010, 09:28 PM   #11
troy_mclure

if i can run away im running, if im too close to run away the gun will make a fairly good bludgeon, unless i have my p32, or mini on me. then that aint really an option!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old August 29, 2010, 11:05 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

While it may be a bluff and may be risky, it may be what you need to buy some time to otherwise better your situation. Of course, not bluffing and letting your opposition know that you are out of ammo is inherently risky as well, probably more so.
Old August 30, 2010, 12:09 AM   #13
C Philip

I agree with USAF_Vet; if you have shown you are willing to use lethal force and have used up all your ammo but the bad guy is still around, do you really think he will believe you've had a sudden change of heart and now just want to hold him at gunpoint? If I ever get to the point where I'm on my last few rounds, I would try to retreat before my magazine is empty, since an easy retreat is not guaranteed.
Old August 30, 2010, 12:50 AM   #14
Scattergun Bob

X_shooter

Just run! Maximum effort in getting the _____ out of Dodge, will perhaps save your life. Don't over think the problem.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old August 30, 2010, 01:20 AM   #15
csmsss

I guess as an alternative to going fetal and soiling one's trousers, it might not be the worst idea in the world, but...I'd be spending my time and concentration finding a safer place to go to ASAP.
Old August 30, 2010, 01:43 AM   #16
cbrgator

If you are in a situation where you run through a full mag or even more, and that doesn't neutralize the threat, I don't think an empty gun bluff is going to do much...
Old August 30, 2010, 02:36 AM   #17
BfloBill

If you empty your gun and go through spare ammo, I think you are beyond bluffing. On the bright side, if you are out and not hit yet, then your opponents aim must suck and he will have even less of a chance of hitting you while you run away.
Old August 30, 2010, 03:45 AM   #18
ClydeFrog

Make the gas-face!...

As the popular 1990s era rap group 3rd Bass sang; "Make the gas face!"

To point an empty pistol or think you can "gag" your way out of a critical incident is a awful, awful idea!

As I've posted many, many, many times here and other places; guns are not props, fashion statements, toys, etc!
If you can't or won't use proper methods or be a mature, responsible adult with loaded firearms, then DO NOT CARRY THEM!
I'm sure there are jails & prisons filled with convicted felons who thought "they knew what they were doing" or "I was only trying to do the right thing.".
Old August 30, 2010, 05:20 PM   #19
TylerD45ACP

Yea my first idea would be to get out of dodge. No way Im pointing my empty 1911 at someone. If I run out of ammo(3 mags + 2 revolver loads) and the BG is not down I brought the wrong firearm/s and should have a 5.56.
Old August 30, 2010, 05:32 PM   #20
Dre_sa

I'd run too.

If you try that, I hope you have a good poker face...
Old August 30, 2010, 07:08 PM   #21
CMichael

As I said I saw the open show.

The person was advocating retreating.

However, I think pretending that your gun still has ammo in it, is far better than letting the BG know that you are out of ammo, and that you are now completely vulnerable.
Old August 30, 2010, 07:12 PM   #22
TylerD45ACP

Agree. I said before drop the slide so it looks like theres ammo. However run out of there and move like crazy. Id try and get away looking like I had ammo .
Old August 30, 2010, 07:50 PM   #23
X_shooter

"If you are in a situation where you run through a full mag or even more, and that doesn't neutralize the threat, I don't think an empty gun bluff is going to do much... "

That is what I thought. I would really be dissapointed in myself if after years of range time and countless rounds fired, I could not make a bad situation better or at least end it. I would be running so fast after I had to draw before the first shot!
Old August 30, 2010, 09:05 PM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Some folks teach using the gun as an impact weaon if you are close up and run out. We practiced it with the instructor wearing a breast plate like vest thingee. You can give quite a hit.

If you are at distance, I don't see why you shouldn't point it as you flee in terror.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old September 2, 2010, 06:01 AM   #25
smince

With my gun as an impact wepon, coupled with my knife, I'm going to still be putting up a fight. This could also work with a broken gun instead of one out of ammo.

And remeber, for whatever reason, many DON'T carry spare magazines