The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 1, 2010, 02:46 PM   #26
BFG1300

I don't know if this will help but they issued us some Revision Sawflys. they will stop high brass number 6 shot shotgun shell at 16 feet. I've actually tried it and they do.
Old September 1, 2010, 02:53 PM   #27
Creade

I used to wear Oakleys exclusively and I have to say they did the job on one occasion. I stepped over a hill while pheasant hunting and my glasses caught a handful of lead shot.

Broke the arm on one side at the hinge, but didnt break the lenses.

You have no idea how tempted I was to shoot back, but I hit the ground instead.

The hunter on the other side of the hill was wearing no orange, no glasses, and no common sense. I was just plain old lucky.
Old September 2, 2010, 04:41 PM   #28
siggygirl

Today was decision day on the glasses. Local optometrist had a Rudy promotion so I went that route. Shooting package included 4 lenses plus clear, and they threw in a photochromic lens for free. Got the prescription optical insert so I change that only as my eyesight changes. With the case, lens grinding, frame and 6 pairs of lenses, it was pricey. But lifetime guarantee so when hot brass hits the lens, they replace it for free including shipping both ways. I'll post pics when I have them. The Prada side won today
Old September 2, 2010, 08:14 PM   #29
10-96

Sometimes "pricey" is the good way to go. Glad things are working out (so far) in that arena. I still think a person tends to take much better care of their spectacles if they are or can be everyday wear-ers. Do you know if he checked the diopters at .5 incriments or did he go down to .25?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 3, 2010, 02:37 PM   #30
siggygirl

Intelligent question, 10-96. They checked the diopters at .25 increments, which is fortunate because I had a .25 increment change in both eyes.
Old September 3, 2010, 02:49 PM   #31
thesheepdog

I just buy a cheap pair of sunglasses from the local gas-station. They work just fine.
But me-probably like you-I can't shoot my pistol worth a darn without my glasses.
So, this time around, I bought "loaded" prescriptions with ultra hard coatings and transitions for shooting. Plus they look good!
Old September 3, 2010, 02:56 PM   #32
siggygirl

Congratulations! And, all other things being equal, why not look good? Isn't that is someone's signature? No, wait, that was about bullet size I think. I went with the inserts because it's cheaper yearly to change them then change the safety lenses. Also, the Rudy guy says there's a little more distortion to the wrap around polycarbonate lens with my particular prescription, so the insert isn't wrap around and it's not polycarbonate. Should be fine because there's polycarbonate all over my eyes and temples from the safety lenses.
Old September 3, 2010, 03:37 PM   #33
thesheepdog

When shooting at my local indoor range; brass is flying all over the place-especially from my XD .357 Sig!
So i usually just "jerry-rig" a pair of safety glasses over my prescriptions. I have found that the ear-muff hearing protectors DO NOT work well with me and safety glasses. Last time I tried that, i went deaf for a little while because the ear-muff wasn't covering my ear all the way-due to an extra thick band on the safety glasses i guess?

And yes, I like looking good and being protected at the same time. Can it get any better?

I have heard that you can get name-brand safety frames with prescriptions (Oakley's?)

Last edited by thesheepdog; September 3, 2010 at 03:43 PM.