The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 25, 2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Eskimo

Perforated eardrum from a single shot of 38spl

Just a warning to all you guys, I pulled out my SP101 and shot it ONE time (38 special) without hearing protection and got a perforated eardrum. It should heal up fine, but it's a pain for about two months.

This will be my third perforated eardrum, and I'm only 21.
Old August 25, 2010, 03:41 PM   #2
sakeneko

Either you've been giving your eardrums an unfair degree of workout, or your eardrums are abnormally weak. *Ick*. Have you had your doctor look at the reasons you're getting this so frequently?
Old August 25, 2010, 03:49 PM   #3
Eskimo

First time was because someone slapped both of my ears with cupped hands, second time was standing too close to a bass speaker at a concert.

I do listen to extremely loud music almost daily, maybe that weakens my eardrums.
Old August 25, 2010, 03:55 PM   #4
MW surveyor

And you'll be turning up the music louder and louder and by 30 you'll be saying "What".

Protect your ears.

From someone who's been there.

BTW - wait till the tinnitus starts. Drives you nuts 24/7/365

Last edited by MW surveyor; August 27, 2010 at 06:04 AM. Reason: forgot about the tinnitus
Old August 25, 2010, 04:16 PM   #5
spclPatrolGroup

I have been around loud equipment all my life, as well as an avid shot gun shooter (often without plugs in my teens), I am now 31 and have tenitus in my right ear, it keeps me up at night, and makes me hard of hearing, and the ringing will never stop in my lifetime. Don't wait for it to happen to you wear plugs now. Everytime I see someone with an ipod I can hear across the room, I have to shake my head a little.
Old August 25, 2010, 04:31 PM   #6
aarondhgraham

Yep me to,,, too much Led Zep in the 70's,,,,,

My ear doctor says that in just 5 more years,,,
I won't be able to go without an expensive hearing aid.

I had to start using closed captioning on my TV several years ago,,,
Now I wear plugs as well as a good headset when shooting,,,
Can't reverse the old damage but can prevent the new.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 25, 2010, 05:00 PM   #7
Eskimo

My ears are never irritated after I listen to music, it's nowhere near as loud as a concert or anything like that.

I am becoming a little concerned about my hearing at this point, though.
Old August 25, 2010, 05:24 PM   #8
Dilbert

You should be concerned, hearing doesn't come back. I'm borderline on my hearing right now, if I fail another one I'll have to work in an office. Best advice I've heard is to wear plugs AND muffs when in high nose environments, before you get to the loud noises. It's really sucks having to listen to that high pitched ring all the time.
Gun Control-gun con┬Ětrol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
Old August 26, 2010, 12:50 AM   #9
RimfireChris

Protect what you got, I'm in the holding on to what I've got category, and it's not fun.
Old August 26, 2010, 12:57 AM   #10
ninobrown

My job requires hearing protection worn daily. We are tested once a year and that test is compared to the first test taken when you hired in. Being aware of losing my hearing has trickled over into off the job activities as well. I deejay events year round, ride a motorcycle, go to drag races, and hit the range weekly. I am concious to wear earplugs or muffs whenever doing these activities. I even wear plugs when doing yard work. Can't get it back, so preserve it as long as you can.
Old August 26, 2010, 02:52 AM   #11
mete

'Extremely loud music daily' You probably have already lost a large percentage of your hearing as have many youngsters who do the same .I'm retired but still have very good hearing because I've been very careful all my life .Hearing loss has been an ever increasing problem and kids don't seem to care.
Old August 26, 2010, 05:34 AM   #12
Jimmy10mm

Quote:
It's really sucks having to listen to that high pitched ring all the time.
I was a structural ironworker in steel erection for a lot of years and didn't wear any hearing protection. Driving pins, beating on beams and columns took it's toll. As a young guy I shot a lot where we used cigarette filters or empty shell casings as ear plugs. For the past thirty years the crickets are chirping 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I tune them out most of the time but they are always there.
Old August 26, 2010, 07:00 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
This will be my third perforated eardrum, and I'm only 21.
Protect your hearing. One shot from a .38 or not, that would be the last time I shot any thing without hearing protection.
Old August 26, 2010, 02:28 PM   #14
Don P

Quote:
Have you had your doctor look at the reasons you're getting this so frequently
Too much space betwix da ears
Old August 26, 2010, 02:53 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

I just did a similar thing with my 15" barreled Encore in 7mm-08. That thing makes a hellacious BOOM! and I would never fire it without protection but....

Well, my electronic muffs are broken so I was using foam plugs. Apparently the one in my right ear wasn't as sealed as I thought it was....

That was Sunday, my ear still feels funny, like it's plugged or something, and I have tinnitus when there's no noise around. Sucks. It's the second time it's happened to me too. Last time, I was holding the gun funny and it had lifted the edge of my muffs and lost the seal.

Be careful and always wear ear protection no matter the gun.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old August 26, 2010, 04:43 PM   #16
shafter

The only time I shoot without ear protection is when I'm hunting. Other than that, anytime I'm bumming around the woods with a firearm I have a set of little plugs in my pocket. Never know when I'll take a shot
Old August 26, 2010, 10:26 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
The only time I shoot without ear protection is when I'm hunting. Other than that, anytime I'm bumming around the woods with a firearm I have a set of little plugs in my pocket. Never know when I'll take a shot
Don't shoot without protection while hunting either. Your ears don't know the difference. Good quality electronic muffs can be had for under $50 now. Really good ones are under $250.

Even the Walkers game ear with Comm capability can be had for $250 and a cheaper version used on the other side.

Your ears are worth the money and at $30-$75 for a decent set, there's really no excuse.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old August 26, 2010, 10:38 PM   #18
Eghad

+1 for what peetzakilla says. Anytine you are shooting you need hearing protection. Last time I went hunting I used my Browning 30.06 with a BOSS system on it. I forgot my ear plugs. Wished I had not

NRA Life Member
Old August 26, 2010, 11:23 PM   #19
Tuzo

Hearing loss can be caused by a single loud noise with damage to the inner ear and ear drum. However, most hearing loss results from noise that is not apparently damaging at a specific time (i.e., rock concert, traffic, loud motorcycle engine, and other envrionmental noise sources) but from cumulative effects. In other words, small amounts of hearing damage over time add up to great hearing loss. Hearing loss is primarily due to inner ear hair cell damage.

Ear buds and headphones concentrate noise; and, if someone with healthy hearing is sitting next to you and can hear your iPod, your volume is much too great.

Noise that may seem innocuous at a particular moment will add to any previous hearing damage and on and on and on until you are asking "what?" many times a day. Never, ever shoot without hearing protection, even when hunting.
Old August 27, 2010, 12:00 AM   #20
Stevie-Ray

Read this entire thread for some truly sad stories and some great advice from those of us who have been there and are there and wish to hell we could go back and change a few things. Seriously.
Old August 27, 2010, 03:45 AM   #21
Bill DeShivs

Avid shooter, bass player, steam & refrigeration engineer. Going deaf. Its no fun.
Take some advice: turn the music down, use good hearing protection. You already have done serious damage to your hearing and it WILL get worse, even if you do no more damage. Don't do further damage-protect your hearing.