The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 21, 2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Oldjarhead

lubrication on lever action rifles

I am new to lever action rifles. I have a Cimarron Arms 1892 rifle on order. Do you lube with just gun oil, or is gun grease needed say on the bolt or anywhere else? Thanks.
Old August 21, 2010, 12:44 PM   #2
nathaniel

On my Puma M92 and Winchester 94 I use RemOil. I havent had a problem yet. Dad and Grandpa always used Hoppes gun oil. But then again I'm not an Expert.
Old August 21, 2010, 01:27 PM   #3
rtpzwms

You might want to check on youtube.com there are a LOT of good videos there.
Old August 21, 2010, 09:55 PM   #4
jrothWA

A light touch of grease on the...

sliding vertical lugs be nice.

bought a 336 and detailed it, took a stone to some parts, cleaned relubed with white lithium gease.

Just uses the fore-finger to operate the action, NOW!
Old August 22, 2010, 01:14 AM   #5
Win_94

You may have already guessed, I have a Win 94 in 30-30. It was my first center fire rifle, I bought it new about 28 years ago. I oil every inch of it with whatever motor oil is in the garage at the time. Right now I'm using AutoZone 5w30.

I shoot it about every week, (sometimes every day,) it shoots like a dream and has never malfunctioned.

Just so you know...
I'll run a dry patch down the bore and another in the chamber before firing.

Last edited by Win_94; August 22, 2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: my punctuation made a smiley
Old August 22, 2010, 01:20 AM   #6
BfloBill

I have a Marlin 1895. Have had no problems just using Breakfree CLP. But the grease idea sounds good and I plan to try it and see how much of a difference it makes.
Old August 22, 2010, 09:49 AM   #7
DanB

On my lever guns I oil the bolt(Hoppes gun Oil) and put grease(standard gun grease nothing special) on the contact/friction points on the lever. works for me. YMMV
Old August 22, 2010, 03:41 PM   #8
hooligan1

My nephew killed his first deer with his Marlin 336, 30-30. The only oil he used(because I gave it to him) was Break Free CLP, he just loved it, god rest his soul.
Old August 22, 2010, 03:50 PM   #9
BGutzman

I use miltech-1, kind of liquid ball bearings... Just be sure to not leave it wet to the touch or you have too much on...

Its the good stuff..
Old August 23, 2010, 10:28 AM   #10
tirod

You might want to check on youtube.com there are a LOT of good videos there.

About as useful as saying, just Google it.

There are some useful videos on youtube, but frankly, a recommendation could have been made in the same space and bandwidth.

1) What does the maker recommend? 2) Any good gun oil will do. 3) Mobil synthetic and dozens of other new lubes would do as well.

What you clean it with might make a difference, and how, as levers aren't easily disassembled. CLP would be a good choice - it will break up deposits, lube, and act a a preservative. Compared to something like WD40, which would help dissolve some deposits, lube until it evaporated, and then leave little to prevent rust. Non chlorinated brake cleaner will really dissolve deposits, dry very quickly, and leave no lube or preservative at all. The last two would obviously need lubing after cleaning. The brake cleaner might mess up a gunstock finish, especially the chlorinated versions.

Given the nature of internet responses, I'd check in with the manufacturer's web sight first and understand their recommendation.

This probably took less time to read than searching for the first video, and gave more information.
Old August 23, 2010, 11:20 AM   #11
stegar1

i use clp/breakfree on my m 92 and win 94. wouldn't grease gum up ?

Semper Fi