The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 17, 2010, 07:22 PM   #1
erob3

Rock Island Ambi Safety Help

Ok, I can detail strip a 1911 with no trouble but I just bought a RIA with ambi safety and I have no experience with it. I have searched and found no decent explanation on how to get that thing out. I'm sure someone here knows and I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks. And yes I'm frustrated!
Old August 17, 2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Toney D

You have to take the right side grip off. the saftey has an arm the is held down by the grip,
Old August 17, 2010, 10:18 PM   #3
zombieslayer

Yep. Just pop off the grip. I'm by no means a gunsmith. But I would be very careful. I bought a gun once with an aftermaket ambi-safety and it would slam-fire. Terrifying from a 45acp with a 3" barrel. My local gunsmith fixed it free. But he said it was easy to screw up. Just my 2cents.
Old August 17, 2010, 10:47 PM   #4
railroader

The ria safety doesn't have a lever under the right grip. Take the slide assembly off. Cock the hammer. Move the safety about half way up between on and off. Now wiggle the left safety slightly up and down while pulling outward. It should pop out. Watch you don't loose the spring assembly that holds it in. Once you have the left side out turn the right safety until it clears the groove in the pin and pull it out If it's really tight you might want to take a small screwdriver to pry under the left safety while you wiggle. Just tape up the screwdriver so you don't scratch things up. Mark.
Old August 18, 2010, 05:19 AM   #5
teeroux

+1 Railroader
The safety is secured in place by a grove in the longer than standard sear pin. .
Old August 18, 2010, 08:56 AM   #6
erob3

Got it!! Thanks guys! I actually used a plastic spatula to get it apart, it was stiff enough and the edge was thin enough that I could get it underneath the left safety and "PRY" it off. I found no spring, however, as the safeties snap together inside the pistol. This one is the 1911 9mm tactical so it may not have the spring assembly like the .45 caliber which I don't have. What a challenge! It is tight! Thanks again.
Old August 18, 2010, 09:13 AM   #7
railroader

I was referring to the spring with the two detents for the safety and the slide stop. Mark