Yankeeprepper's viewpoint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDZEwt6gSAg
My response:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1pcPl-xU8E
Discuss
Old August 10, 2010, 08:55 PM   #2
smoakingun

15 minute ignorant rant vs one and one half minutes of sense......you rock
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old August 10, 2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

For the benefit of those on dialup, don't just do a hit-and-run with video. Provide some text with a precis of the points of view...
Old August 10, 2010, 09:42 PM   #4
savage1r

There's still dialup? Sorry, bad joke. Anyways, the long and skinny is that I posted a text reply to yankee that .308's were great but not to forget about the viability of 7.62x54r. He then proceeded to tell me that my opinion was worthless and that if I wanted to make a real response I should make a video outlining my point (because we all know that video is far better means of communicating that reading text). Anyways, I made a video breaking down the cost of each round vs effectiveness as well as weapons platform (AR-10 vs PLR-54c). He was very elitist about the AR and .308 stuff and I was merely suggesting that if you're on a budget that 7.62x54r and a PLR would do just fine and that there are other just as viable solutions as well.
Old August 11, 2010, 10:45 AM   #5
sc928porsche

You mean there is another cartridge out there other thant the miricle 308?
Old August 11, 2010, 12:26 PM   #6
savage1r

Looks like poor Yankeeprepper isn't good at taking criticism .

Old August 11, 2010, 02:26 PM   #7
DanThaMan1776

You appeal to a huge portion of individuals with your video, savage. Those who can't afford Yankee's setup. Good vid, and thanks.
Old August 11, 2010, 07:27 PM   #8
raftman

While I am in total agreement with your assertions, and appreciate that you could squeeze more common sense into your very brief video clip than that tool could into 13 minutes... I gotta ask... what is up with that music?
Old August 11, 2010, 07:47 PM   #9
TX Hunter

I will just post based on my own personal experience, as I own rifles chambered for both.
In a Nut Shell, I like both of them, and I personaly recomend owning both of them.
Old August 12, 2010, 08:13 AM   #10
wnycollector

I own several rifles in each caliber. They are both fine calibers that pack a punch, but the 7.62x54 rifles get shot 3x as much as the .308's just based upon the cost of ammo.
Old August 12, 2010, 04:36 PM   #11
Teirst

I hate to say it but I see major problems with both of your arguments.

First off lets remember that this is regarding a SHTF stupid probably never going to happen "what if"

First up one of the biggest benefits of the .308 that was mentioned was not it's stopping power or range or how it can be loaded. The biggest benefit is how popular of cartridge it is. Chances are in a SHTF world if you walk up to 10 people with rifles at least 5 of them will be .308. Because of that the ability to trade for/with ammo greatly increases. How many people do you think you would run into with mosin's and psl's?

You mention that the price per round for .308 VS. 54r really makes up for that factor. The next problem is realistically you will be traveling with limited ammo. Lets face it, 200 rounds of ammunition is not light. If you loaded up and left your house for good, how much ammo do you think you would bring? I promise you that spam can of 1000 rounds would not stay with you for very long. He goes over reloading a good amount in this video. Assume he can reload a variety of .308 for 0.50 per round. That is only $100 for all the ammo I think a person would bring with them.

Next, rifle choice. You argue that the cost of the weapon greatly affects the choice of bullet as well. What about a saiga in .308? ( http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/s...c-287_368.html )

You can pick up a saiga in .308 and i believe get the best of both worlds. The cost is way down (around $500) and you still get the .308 round. You can argue that the rifle is not accurate enough, but I am sure the Saiga would shoot Minute of Man at 300 yards.

Finally, choice of round. Why such a big round? There are several threads addressing why the military has downsized to the 5.56. The biggest of which is the amount of firepower a single soldier can bring with him. Defending myself I would be comfortable with a 5.56, I feel I could provide food for myself with a 5.56. Due to weight I could carry more rounds of 5.56, thus being better armed.

I am not trying to defend what this guy was saying, at the end of the day he is being a close minded douche. Besides that, the fact that someone would actually record and display a 15 minute video about what we all should do "when the commie's come and martial law is declared," I feel, reflects poorly on gun owners as a whole.
Old August 12, 2010, 06:00 PM   #12
savage1r

Teirst: You are absolutely right. The only point I was trying to make to that guy was his answer wasn't the only one. It's a good solution, but far from the only one. You mentioned some great points yourself and you're right, the Saiga .308 is awesome and I'd say a great alternative as well. YankeePrepper was making fun of 'tacti-cool' people spending money on lumens on flashlights while (in my opinion) he was throwing away money on extremely expensive ammo for a round that can be reloaded with simple steel core for 1/4-1/2 as expensive as he pays for his precious tungsten rounds (so he was a bit hypocrite). Whatever you think your best solution for you is, that's going to be the one to go with. Everyone's opinion is different and should be respected, but Yankee was the first to start throwing insults at people who simply offered alternatives so that's why I decided to lay into him a little.
Old August 12, 2010, 06:11 PM   #13
Teirst

I am happy that I did not offend you savage, that was not my intent. To be honest, I was unable to watch Yankee's video entirely. I jumped around a bit and all and all watched about 4 minutes worth. It was obvious that the guy was the kind of person that would not be any fun to hang around with.

I did not see the whole "make fun of tacti-cool" part. Of that I would have to respond that while working my way through a dark building a good quality flashlight on the end of my rifle would be much more beneficial then silver bullets.

Come to think of it, the reason he is probably stuck on the .308 is because "that is what snipers use."

He is also the guy that is going to wall up in his house with all his guns around himself. It will work great until they start throwing grenades in on him.
Old August 12, 2010, 06:14 PM   #14
savage1r

Raftman: Cheesy music for a cheesy video

Teirst: Offense? If you offended me I'd probably make a video about it
Old August 12, 2010, 06:21 PM   #15
Buzzard Bait

good grief

who cares shoot what you brung
bb
Old August 13, 2010, 07:05 AM   #16
SSgt Facebreaker

But....But...but "the .308 is the most popular hunting round in North America!"

Good grief, has he never heard of .30-06 or .30 WCF? I'd wager that either of those rounds would give the .308 a run for it's money as far as popularity in a hunting round.
Old August 13, 2010, 09:38 AM   #17
Katophract

Savage, you're my hero. Way to tear down those elitist towers! LOL! I'm a big fan of both rounds and own guns in each. But to say that there's only one answer and no other options is just plain lame.
Old August 13, 2010, 04:06 PM   #18
savage1r

If you guys liked that last video, you'll LOVE this one. Was just allowed to post this today and I'm pretty excited about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxfYPTqQfOY
Old August 13, 2010, 05:33 PM   #19
Italian_Marksman94

This guy is ludacris, I saw this video yesterday and the first thing that came out of his mouth was along the lines of "Weapon platforms arent important the round is." My "this guy is an idiot" sensors went off the charts when I heard that haha, not to mention he sounds extremely paranoid. Dont get me wrong I think everyone should be prepared for maybe a burglary or something along those lines but if the US ever faces an expierence like the one he describes in all our lifetime and are grandchildrens lifetimes I personally will give you all each 1,000,000 USD's

Last edited by Italian_Marksman94; August 13, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old August 13, 2010, 07:55 PM   #20
Jonny Mack

Savage, your logic speaks volumes. I don't know enuff about this Yankee Prepper guy, but to me he just sounds like another guy who has a definite opinion. I suppose he didn't win many friends with his imitation country accent ... possibly that's more of what's at stake here, rather than the cost of the ammo & platform? Y'all come down pretty hard on him.

But really it seems in a SHTF situation we might want to spend more money on food and less on rounds ... so I tend to agree with the 7.62x54 choice.