The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 5, 2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Daley Claims Credit for Allowing Handguns In Chicago

From: http://www.chicagonewscoop.org/daley...-rising-crime/

(This is the same reporter that Daley pointed a firearm at and threatened during a press conference by the way):

“I understand some Chicagoans want to be able to keep guns in the home, and I listened to them,” he said.

But Daley also moved away from gun control, emphasizing that the causes of violence are “many.”

Is that just the biggest disconnect from reality you've ever seen? The Suipreme Court forces you to stop violating the Bill of Rights and you take credit for listening to your constiutents concerns?

This would be like George Wallace saying "I understand some Alabamans would like to end segregation and I listened to them." It was so bizarre I just had to share.
Old August 5, 2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Quote:
It was so bizarre I just had to share.
Yeah. Not much politicians spew forth surprises me a great deal any more, but Daley's effort to take credit for "allowing" guns in Chicago is all the way over to the right on the bravo sierra meter. His integrity meter needle flopped all the way to the left, broke off, and hit the floor decades ago.
Old August 5, 2010, 02:09 PM   #3
knight0334

Its just a bit of the tail wagging the dog.
Old August 5, 2010, 03:50 PM   #4
Vanya
Staff

Wow...

That reminds me, in a roundabout way, of the old joke about the man who's convicted of killing his parents -- and who then begs for leniency on the grounds that he's a poor orphan...
Old August 5, 2010, 07:41 PM   #5
dnr1128

He "listened" to the citizens? He's an idiot.
Old August 5, 2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Europa has always been at war with Oceana.
Old August 5, 2010, 10:14 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca

Daley has no shame.

But ... he's a politician, so I crave your pardon for restating the obvious.
Old August 5, 2010, 11:35 PM   #8
vytoland

you must remember that election time is drawing near in illinois

so all the clowns must paint their faces and make the common folk laugh
Old August 5, 2010, 11:46 PM   #9
won-a-glock

Hey, he's a pol

Interesting article:
Quote:
When pressed, Daley was similarly reluctant to say that crime was under control, or even that the city was safer now than 20 years ago, when the murder count was nearly twice what it has been in recent years.

“I couldn’t say that,” Daley said, “because you’ll go out here and interview someone who’s just been shot.”
At least he's smart enough to not provide encouragement to someone who may go postal.

I was in Cairo Egypt the day that President Mubarak of Egypt said that Egypt was the safest place on the earth. Hours later, a gunman, screaming out slogans, shot or killed many people in a store.

Considering how short the memory span of most voters is, sounds like a smart move for Daley (whether you like him or not).
Old August 6, 2010, 06:22 AM   #10
AirForceShooter

He's simply amazing.

The latest polls show he's not getting reelected.
Unless all the dead people vote again.

AFS
Old August 6, 2010, 06:50 AM   #11
blume357

It always amazes me that they can't figure out the reason for the high crime stats...

If you pack enough people of any race religion or creed into a small enough space and they don't have anything to do but sit around bored.... guess what?
Old August 6, 2010, 11:59 AM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

IMHO Daley (and many other professional politicians) would claim credit for the sun coming up, if they thought it would benefit them in any way.

Expecting honesty, honor, and moral restraint from these people is an exercise in self deception.

Flip Flops aren't just casual footwear.
Old August 6, 2010, 07:13 PM   #13
carguychris

Quote:
Europa has always been at war with Oceana.
Best. Response. Yet.
Old August 6, 2010, 09:43 PM   #14
raisitup

This is what all the credit card companies did when the rules changed this year, lots of advertisements with "We listened to you, here's what we decided to do differently now" when they fought tooth and nail against any reforms.
Old August 7, 2010, 02:44 AM   #15
dec41971

OMG, when are Americans going to wise up and stop electing these clowns? How many times have the populace been played by joe politico and keep electing him or his circus buddies. Or swallow their lies hook line and sinker, letting them decide for the populace what their reality is. How about we all start thinking for ourselves and tell these clowns where to shove it heh?
Old August 7, 2010, 03:01 AM   #16
ISC

single party machine politics. It is Chicago's legacy and reaches all the way to the highest levels of our government. Saying anything else about the obvious political connection would invite censorship by the political correctness police here.
Old August 7, 2010, 08:26 AM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
IMHO Daley (and many other professional politicians) would claim credit for the sun coming up, if they thought it would benefit them in any way.

Expecting honesty, honor, and moral restraint from these people is an exercise in self deception.

That's it right there. It's not a Daley thing and it's not a Chicago thing. It's a politician thing.... and it's why we need to get them out of office ASAP. We should be able to expect honor and integrity from out elected officials. The should, in fact, be the honest and honorable among us.

I must say, they do have integrity though..... it's just not "positive" integrity. Integrity means "oneness" or "consistent", "whole". They are constantly, consistently dirtbags.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old August 7, 2010, 08:48 AM   #18
Eghad

Well that may be due to the rumors that Rahm wants to be Mayor of Chicago and run for it. How do you outdo a fellow Liberal? By pretending to be for firearms for citizens in Chicago. While fighting it witt new city laws.

NRA Life Member
Old August 7, 2010, 09:32 AM   #19
Sefner

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP

That's it right there. It's not a Daley thing and it's not a Chicago thing. It's a politician thing.... and it's why we need to get them out of office ASAP. We should be able to expect honor and integrity from out elected officials. The should, in fact, be the honest and honorable among us.
Another vote for this. The earth rotates because politicians sponsored the bill to give it funding. Whether it's jobs "created or saved" or winning the Cold War, politicians will rightfully and wrongly take credit for anything.
Old August 7, 2010, 09:36 AM   #20
Retired15T

I recall, about two or three days before the Supreme Court returned a decision, Daley being on TV saying he will NEVER allow guns in Chicago because of all the murdering that would happen with them.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Thomas Jefferson
Old August 7, 2010, 09:51 AM   #21
nate45

The situation in Chicago is way beyond Right vs Left, anti-gun vs pro-gun, its in the realm of criminal behavior. The FBI needs to go after Daley the way they went after Blago. In fact, they need to go after the whole corrupt Chicago Machine, the way Guiliani went after the Mafia.
Old August 8, 2010, 09:37 AM   #22
RDak

Quote:
“I understand some Chicagoans want to be able to keep guns in the home, and I listened to them,” he said.
Yeah, he listened to them and fought tooth and nail to keep the handgun prohibition law on the books.

You guys just have to know how politicians talk.