The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 4, 2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Sgt.Saputo

Double barrel .12g

So I currently only have a .20g and I'm looking to get a .12g. I would really like to get an old style side by side double barrel. Does anyone have any suggestions that are reasonably priced? This probably won't be used for hunting but just for fun shooting .

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337
Old August 4, 2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Doyle

The only "reasonably priced" doubles that are still high quality are the old Savage 311s. The Savage Fox series were nicer but command higher prices. Modern value priced SxS guns are all made in Turkey or Russia. Quality is OK, but I don't think they are as good as the old Savages.

When you start looking for a true quality SxS, you are getting into the $1000 and up range.
Old August 4, 2010, 08:14 PM   #3
oneounceload

I guess it depends on what your budget determines to be a "reasonable" price. Talk to folks who shoot quality doubles and prices in the 4-5 figure range are mentioned as a matter of course. Talk to folks whose budgets are used to 150 dollar pawn shop pump guns, and 3-500 dollar guns are considered extreme.

There IS a difference in quality of construction, barrel regulation, etc. - between cheap Turkish guns, inexpensive American guns, and decent quality Spanish guns.(we won't even go towards the high end Spanish, Italian or English guns)
Old August 4, 2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Sgt.Saputo

The most I want to spend it $400. Again this is just for fun shooting so I don't need a high end fancy shotgun.

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337
Old August 4, 2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Hawg

Get a Baikal with hammers.
Old August 4, 2010, 08:38 PM   #6
oneounceload

You could get a cheap gun for fun and hope it lasts for what you want to do - but what happens when it breaks? Is it fixable or disposable?
Some of us prefer to buy it once

YMMV
Old August 4, 2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Sgt.Saputo

Thanks for the help guys . If I can find a baikal coach gun that'll be the one. It will be a bit because I'm getting engraved grips for m 1903.

Old August 5, 2010, 07:29 AM   #8
Doyle

For $300, you can get a good used Savage and have a much higher quality gun that the Baikal. It might not look as new and shinny, but it will be something that you can shoot for a lifetime and pass to your grandkids.
Old August 5, 2010, 10:01 AM   #9
t4terrific

I bought a J. Stevens 5100 12 gauge (20 inch barrels), a Stevens 311F 16 gauge (26 inch barrels), and a Stevens 311E 12 Gauge (30 inch barrels) all for $600. Much fun to be had for $600!

I do have a Stoeger Coach Gun too. It performs well, and looks good for my taste, which may be far different than that of some of the other double gun lovers.
Old August 5, 2010, 10:12 AM   #10
AH.74

I had a Baikal 12g double, and traded it away because of a high rate of failure to fire. Light strikes seemed to be the main culprit.

I found the "double-link" firing mechanism to be very unreliable.
Old August 5, 2010, 10:16 AM   #11
aarondhgraham

Gere are a few you can look at,,,

It sounds like what you might want are the same ones used by the cowboy action shooters,,,

Cimarron is one company that imports shotguns for those folk,,,
One of these might be what you are looking for.

Cimarron shotgun webpage

Hope this helps,,,

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 5, 2010, 11:12 AM   #12
Stiofan

Nice Savage Fox 12G on Gunbroker currently $205.00. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=182641065

I own one my dad bought new in the 1950s, I've taken tons of quail and dove with it over the years.
Old August 5, 2010, 10:25 PM   #13
Sgt.Saputo

Quote:
I do have a Stoeger Coach Gun too. It performs well, and looks good for my taste, which may be far different than that of some of the other double gun lovers.
That's more like what I'm looking for. I like the idea of shorter barrels .
I'm gonna check with my local guns shop and see what they have.

Old August 8, 2010, 01:59 AM   #14
Sgt.Saputo

Just got back from "Car Wars" (family friend got us VIP tickets. Before that I had never seen a camper disintegrate xD ). I went to the gun shop before to kill time and they just got a Scar L in, very cool. They had 2 side by sides but both were long barrels :/. Speaking with someone on here who has just what I'm looking for just don't have the money at the moment.

Old August 8, 2010, 02:09 AM   #15
Rampant_Colt

Coachguns are very cool!

These destroy campers with ease as well

My only gripe with this thing is that it kicks HARD!!
Old August 8, 2010, 03:09 PM   #16
oneounceload

Quote:
Light weight, heavy shells, improper fit all lead to that
Old August 8, 2010, 10:26 PM   #17
darkgael

SXS

I own a number of SXSs. With one exception, a Baikal bought years before Remington, the guns were all bought used. My favorite is a Parker VH - a field gun that I paid $400 for. None of them - Lefever/Ithaca/Stoeger - cost more than $400.
Old August 8, 2010, 11:34 PM   #18
Nnobby45

Quote:

The dbl wouldn't be my primary shotgun, but I like the idea of having one or two stached away. Like in a jewelry store, or other place of business that attracts bad folks along with the good.
Old August 8, 2010, 11:40 PM   #19
Rampant_Colt

It kicks hard with light trap loads!

My favorite ammo to shoot from the thing is Aguila Mini-Shells - especially the mini-slugs! They make nice, neat cloverleafs at 25 yards

A flatnose 385gr slug doing 1250 fps is a pretty potent little load:

Old August 9, 2010, 12:08 AM   #20
10-96

I haven't been everywhere and certainly haven't seen everything yet- but I've yet to ever see a Stevens 311 that's been completely used up, worn out, or ready to be put out to pasture.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old August 9, 2010, 04:02 AM   #21
laimonas123

This is great shotgun. My freind has.
Old August 9, 2010, 10:32 AM   #22
zippy13

Sgt.Saputo,
In your OP you mentioned that you have a 20-ga shotgun, is it a SxS? If yes, and you're happy with it, why not get a 12-ga version of the same gun?

Tags
.12g , double barrel , shotgun