The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 28, 2010, 10:59 PM   #1
linx310

Got a really nice 1858 from Cabelas...

My Remington 1858 New Army came in the other day and I am impressed. I paid less then $199 for the steel frame version of it on sale right now on the Cabelas website.

In the past the Pietea replicas had mixed reviews but recently there quality has been good. When I pull back the hammer on mine it syncs up with the cylinder wonderfully.

Also the cylinder wall and the barrel mate up nice and tight, another complaint from a number of years ago about these guns that has seem to have been corrected.

I consider this a very good deal at $199.

Pics of my 1858

Old July 28, 2010, 11:59 PM   #2
CajunPowder

It looks good and that picture you took of the Flash Gap is good enough to be in a magazine, excellent.

I see that little mark on the leading edge of the cylinder notch and the past 8 Remmies I've looked at through mail order or through a visit to Cabelas are all set up coming out of the factory so that they bolt falls DIRECTLY on the leading edge of the cylinder notch. I think it's great way to generate additional sales for replacement cylinders ... or somethin'.

Because it's tight, I would have it tweaked by a gunsmith to bring it into the best shape it can be. I would want to see the bolt falling onto the cylinder a little earlier. That's how the originals were designed to function.

The date code, "CF", sure looks nice, again, thanks for that picture because that is a 2010 model fo' sho'!.

How's the finish on the inside surfaces of the frame window, (cylinder window)? Is it rough at all, because from what I can see it looks as though it's been smoothed a bit.

I think I may do a double order on the target model from Cabelas because I'm fed up with the stainless models, I've had a lot of bad luck with ordering new ones.

What I really want is an Uberti blued standard model because they have forged frames, but Pietta is looking better these days for the most part.

From what I hear the Uberti models are on backorder for up to 6 more months even though Midway says different but I talked to their wholesaler, Taylors, and they said 6 months.

I may give it a try, if one of the two I mail order is questionable I'll just send her back with the $7 return UPS sticker they include with the shipment.

Congrats on getting happy, shoot some and write us a little range report as to how she handles, yeah?
Old July 29, 2010, 12:03 AM   #3
CajunPowder

Is it my imagination or am I seeing some chamfering of the barrel flats where they meet the front of the frame, where the barrel is received by the frame?

If so, that might be an indication that the finishing of the Pietta models this year is improving, perhaps they are giving more attention to some details and fitting issues.
Old July 29, 2010, 06:18 AM   #4
c.robertson

$199.99 is an excellent price on the Pietta 1858 Remington, they also offer the 1860 Colt at the same price, which is what I am waiting delivery on. Having physically examined the Pietta's they appear to be of pretty good quality.
A couple weeks ago I bought a 1970 made Uberti Remington in 36 cal. with lyman mold, leather holster, and 15lb of pure lead for $75.00.

Was looking at a 1851 Navy by Pietta made in 1973 and even then they were pretty good quality. Cocking was stout, but trigger let-off was in the 3lb or less range. The rifling was odd. It appeared that Mario had a little vino that day because the rifling in the Naby '51 had a 'zig-zag' half way down the more. That is: the rifling turned sharply to the right then sharply to the left.
Old July 29, 2010, 09:32 AM   #5
spitpatch

Target

Yesterday I just got the target 44 from Cabelas. Looks real good. 219 plus postage.
Old July 29, 2010, 11:57 AM   #6
ClemBert

linx310, congrats on your new 1858. A buddy of mine bought that same model from Cabelas a couple of years ago. It is actually a pretty nice piece for the $189 (plus shipping) he got it for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPowder
I think I may do a double order on the target model from Cabelas because I'm fed up with the stainless models, I've had a lot of bad luck with ordering new ones.
I recently bought these Piettas from Cabelas. The SS 1858 was $240 delivered while the blued 1860 was $189 delivered. The prices were good only because Cabelas had a sale, gave me some coupons, and had free shipping. The SS model is actually VERY nice. The timing on it is PERFECT! The one shown is actually a replacement to the first one they sent me. The first one had a couple of issues, one of which was a crooked loading lever stud used to lock the lever. For a lot of people this wouldn't be a problem. But I'm picky and will use Cabelas satisfaction guarantee everytime to get 'em the way I like 'em.

Last edited by ClemBert; July 29, 2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old July 29, 2010, 12:21 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

linx - congrats on your new pistol - it's a beauty! Your photos are fantastic!
I bought a .36 Remy from Cableas a year ago and it's very nice - perfect timing, great fit and finish - I couldn't be happier with it! Good luck with your .44 and I hope you get some fine enjoyment and shooting out of it! Thanks for posting the photos!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 29, 2010, 02:10 PM   #8
CajunPowder

Spitpatch ?
ClemBert ?

What are the two letter date codes on the pistolas you recently holstered from Cabelas?

We can all see that "CF" near that super tight flashgap on linx310's so I'm wondering if yall's are the same?
Old July 29, 2010, 02:20 PM   #9
ClemBert

CD (2009) on the 1860 shorty.
CF (2010) on the 1858 shorty.

Both were purchased at the same time together.
Old August 2, 2010, 09:59 AM   #10
linx310

Well I put 6 quick shots through it Sunday. Didn't really have a chance to check for any true accuracy. I shot at an old bike helmet from about 15 feet and every round hit its mark so at least I know if I aim at some ones head at around that distance I can hit it...lol

I'm so happy with the quality of this 1858 I am thinking about picking up one of the Colt 1860s.

Any of you guys handled the 2010 model of the 1860? How is it?
Old August 2, 2010, 10:14 AM   #11
Doc Hoy

Nope

But I have one from a while ago and it is a sweet pistol.

I also have an 1851 Lawman a coupla years old it is pretty nice too.

I'd wait for the 1860 to go on sale (or maybe it already is on sale), then spring the trap.

Everyone needs another pistol.
Old August 2, 2010, 10:51 AM   #12
denster

crobertson. Give us a report on the 1860 when you get it in. Pietta did an upgrade on their guns sometime in the fall of 2009. In the last month I bought a 1860 Sheriff's model 2009 production and it was pretty nice and 2 of the 1851 Hickok guns that are so nice you would throw rocks at Uberti. The spare parts kits I got from Cabela's recently are all much nicer than the parts I bought a couple of years ago.
Old August 2, 2010, 11:03 AM   #13
c.robertson

I picked up the Pietta 1860 already, and taking it BACK to Cabela's already. As everyone knows, a BP firearm needs to be throughly cleaned of oil before shooting the first time.
WELL!! The barrel wedge is frozen in place, I cannot get it out to clean the new oil off and I am not about to shoot it and not be able to disassemble it for cleaning. It don't even wiggle.
However, that said, the action is smooth as butter, tight lock-up, excellent fit and finish and a trigger pull as good as any off-the-shelf S&W in single action. Not only that, it is purdy.
Will post again on outcome later this evening, 02-Aug-10
Old August 2, 2010, 11:21 AM   #14
denster

My 1860 Sheriff was like that even though they had they had tapered the wedge correctly and tapered the end of the arbor wedge slot. It helps to tap the wedge a few times on the off side in line with the barrel that usually loosens it up enough that you can start it on the other side with a brass punch. It is an indication that you will need to take a few thousanths off the side of the wedge to get it to fit properly where the radius on the end is at least completely through the barrel. I had to take only .004 off mine.
On the Hickok models they both were perfect right out of the box.
Old August 2, 2010, 12:52 PM   #15
spitpatch

The one that just came the other day is CF. I have a much older one with the plum brown frame is BC. Both are target models. Can one tell when one was made by these letters? If so how old is BC? Thanks
Old August 2, 2010, 02:37 PM   #16
arcticap

It shows when an Italian gun was proofed.
BC was proof marked in 1993.
Old August 2, 2010, 04:43 PM   #17
CajunPowder

Cabelas blue 8" target 44 NMA

On my recent trip to Cabelas I got to pick from five standard 44 NMA and two blue target models. I bought one of the target models. It needs some fitting of the front sight to the dovetail. The sight is the only issue and its very tiny but worth it with this revolver.

It locks up in full battery. (trigger depressed and held, bring to full cock and hold).

It locks up in hammer down, and hammer up. In these positions there is the slightest hint of play only.

It likes to spin and index in the cylinder frame window without the base pin and the pin shoots in and out while indexing. Pin is positive and fits in the back well.

Its a "CF" a 2010, blue target model. I'll post some pics of the front sight fitting sometime. There was another another exceptional revolver. It's probably still there.
Old August 2, 2010, 05:50 PM   #18
c.robertson

Went to Cabela's and switched the 1860 Colt Army for a 1858 Remington. Both were $200.00 so it was an even swap. They did get the wedge out, but it was a real booger to put in and remove. It needs some polishing in the eye spendle and it will be fine.
Now the 1860 Army will be put in the Bargen Cave, would it be dishonest to buy it back at the Bargen Cave reduced price?
Old August 2, 2010, 06:47 PM   #19
CajunPowder

Get the cave gun!
Old August 2, 2010, 11:03 PM   #20
Hardcase

Quote:
Now the 1860 Army will be put in the Bargen Cave, would it be dishonest to buy it back at the Bargen Cave reduced price?
I say get it. No matter who buys it, that wedge is going to need some work, so it might as well be you. I figure that it's the same as if they had told you to keep it and given you back some cash for your effort instead of making the trade.

Makes sense?