The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 28, 2010, 11:41 PM   #1
swampcreek

Colt Police Positive Ser. No.

I looked up the serial # on my Colt .38 Special Police Positive on proofhouse.com. I have narrowed it down to 3 posible years...How is this? Well at first glance the Serial # appears to be "16XX21" BUT upon closer inspection the 1's look a little different as they seem to be bigger than the rest of the numbers AND the leading "1" on the inside cylinder side of the hatch (As apposed to the frame side of the hatch) is very faint to the point of looking like a "(". So I'm not sure if the serial number is 6XX2 (year 1908),
62XX1 (year 1912), or 16XX21 (year 1919).

Any suggestions?
Old July 29, 2010, 08:38 AM   #2
longranger

Police Positives and Police Positive Specials have seperate serial #'s your revolver dates to late 1913 if it is .38 Special.Police Positives were chambered in .32 Colt and .38 Colt (.32 S&W-.38 S&W) and .22 on target models.
Old August 1, 2010, 08:11 PM   #3
swampcreek

Thanks!.....BUUUTTT....I'm looking at the print out from proofhouse.com and I'm seeing something different. The page reads "Police Positive Special & Detective Special". if the first two numbers are 62 out of a 5 digit serial # then it it was 1912. If the first two numbers are 16 out of a 6 digit # then it reads as 1919. Am I looking at something wrong?

I bought this gun 20 years ago for $130, I never really researched it before, I new it was old but I had no idea it was this old! It would be very interesting if it were in fact a pre WW1 gun.

Thank's again.
Old August 2, 2010, 07:26 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

First you have to determine if you have a Police Positive, or a Police Positive Special.
The name should be stamped on the barrel. These are two different models.

The Police Positive was made for short cartridges like the .32 and .38 S&W cartridges.
The Police Positive Special had a longer frame and cylinder so it could chamber the .38 Special.

These are two different, but very similar models except for the length of the frame and cylinder.
The Police Positive used separate serial number ranges for the .32 caliber and .38 caliber models, and the Police Positive Special was in it's own range.

If you have a Police Positive you have to read the barrel for the caliber to determine if it's a .32 or a .short .38.
If it's a short .38 the barrel may be marked as a .38 Colt, a .38 S&W, or a .38 Colt Short.

If you have a Police Positive Special, the barrel will be marked for the .38 Special.
Old August 2, 2010, 09:34 PM   #5
swampcreek

It's definetly a Police Positive .38 Special. I thought I put that info on the first post but I didn't...sorry. Barrel to frame is 3.25", it has some gawdy pearl handles which were a little loose and I tightened them and heard a crack, took them off and saw one is starting to "cats eye" on the inside so I guess I'll be ordering new grips. There appears to be 2 kinds on the site I'm looking on, one more ornate than the other I'll guess I'll send them the serial # on the gun to be sure I get the right ones. I'm going to try to post a picture of it so lets see....

I also found that I had some of the wrong ammo too. Along with the regular .38 Specials I had a box of +P's which I read isn't recommended for this gun, not many fired through, I guess I'll trade them to someone for regular .38 Specials. I fired this gun when I first bought it a few times and it's mainly been the nightstand gun for the last 20 years, I think I might just take it out for a spin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1919 Colt.jpg (295.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 162521 PPS.jpg (238.3 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by swampcreek; August 2, 2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old August 3, 2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

Once more...... The Police Positive was NOT MADE in .38 Special. The frame and cylinder were too short.

Your gun is named the "Colt Police Positive Special", and it's chambered for the .38 Special cartridge.
Again, we're talking two separate models. One is the PP the other is the PPS.
These two models used the same parts and grips, but different frames and cylinders.

Your PPS is an earlier version that has a "narrow grip frame" that was only used in the early days.
This frame has a narrower gap between the front of the grip and the trigger guard.
Most standard grips will NOT fit.

About the only grips available are replicas of the original hard rubber grips. These modern replicas are made of black plastic and are available here:

http://www.vintagegungrips.net/

http://www.gungrip.com/index.php
Old August 8, 2010, 11:41 PM   #7
swampcreek

I got the grips from "Vintage Grips" and installed same. The confusion on the model was because on the barrel it reads and is layed out as follows ...

On the barrel "POLICE" is right on top of "POSITIVE" with ".38 SPECIAL" beside POLICE/POSITIVE but splitting the line between the two.

So I put the grips on and gave the Police Positive Special to my Dad for a nice house gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1288.jpg (243.6 KB, 33 views)