The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2010, 09:35 PM   #1
riverwalker76

Need Advice on Bullet Lube For .308 Win. Loads

I'm looking to make a good lube for my .308 cast bullets. What are the requirements?
Old July 23, 2010, 09:46 PM   #2
salvadore

I've been using dar lube 1lb parafin, 1lb vaseline with 1tbs stp. I don't worry about the stp. I use it in all my cast pistol bullets and in a 32/20 rifle @ 1700/1900fps. Works for me.
Old July 24, 2010, 12:24 AM   #3
riverwalker76

Thanks for the advice.

I was wondering if the lube needs to be high temp.... meant for high speed ... etc ...

What requirements does the lube have to have? Does it need to be able to keep it's form at high speeds and temps?
Old July 24, 2010, 02:17 AM   #4
Scorch

I always used Lyman Orange Magic, a friend of mine always used Rooster Red. You can blend your own, but cleaning lead out of a rifle barrrel is a pain. Use gas checked bullets, at the very least.
Taylor Machine
Old July 24, 2010, 07:59 AM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
I was wondering if the lube needs to be high temp.... meant for high speed ... etc ...
No, the hard lubes that require a heater were invented to avoid stickiness; had nothing to do with rifle bullet lube requirements. The old NRA Alox formula lube works well, and does not present another variable into the process of finding an accurate cast bullet rifle load. However, if you want to make your own, there are several tested formulas that have worked well for casters; As mentioned, the Darr formula for instance.
Old July 24, 2010, 11:29 AM   #6
riverwalker76

So ... as a rule of thumb should I stay away from really oily lube mixes?

I'm wanting to come up with a lube that isn't temperature sensitive. I want it to work good in 10 degree weather, and the same in 100 degree weather. I want to be able to use it in my Fall hunting loads, as well as, in my Summer long distance target loads.

Is there anything I should avoid .... other than Paraffin?
Old July 24, 2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Edward429451

You know that cheese in the supermarket that is covered in that red wax?
It's good stuff. Eat the cheese and melt that red wax into the lube. I forget the name of it. Carnuba? Something like that.
Old July 24, 2010, 12:31 PM   #8
riverwalker76

I have some carnauba wax. I have several pounds each of Carnauba wax, microcrysalline wax, and beeswax.