The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 4, 2010, 03:30 PM   #51
Cooter Brown

Interesting that most of these instances do not fall into the category of what I expected when this question was asked. Most of your stories are either of police offices just doing their job, perhaps in some cases a little too aggressively. Or vice versa where the poster actually was the cop and a BG pointed a gun at you. Several other stories are occupational hazards. So far none of those apply to the general CCW world. And several are misunderstandings or people screwing around. In fact, very few of your stories are of actual cases where a BG is intending you harm.

Does anyone else here find this interesting?
Old August 4, 2010, 03:32 PM   #52
Cooter Brown

Oh yeah, and several out of the country stories as well. The middle east and Mexico do not apply to my justification for carrying. Again, just found this interesting.
Old August 4, 2010, 08:30 PM   #53
animal

Quote:
Posted by Cooter Brown:
Does anyone else here find this interesting?

Not really. You can’t draw any conclusions from that. In a forum, people usually speak up about things that are interesting to them and what they want to talk about at the time.

I purposefully picked two stories that I believe are out of the ordinary and where both sides ended up "winning" (out of the ordinary in itself, imo).
I like out of the ordinary stories. They’re more fun than the normal stuff that is expected, and I suspect most people share this trait. So … that’s why I posted them. Plus, I remember them best because they’ve been thought about more and told more times because I really like it when everybody wins.

Most of my stories would be "bad guy threatens", and ones that I don’t care to dwell on or recount because they seem more ordinary. Also, some remind me of bad times that I don’t particularly care to relive. I kinda hate to admit it, but offhand, I have no idea of how many weapons have been pulled on me by bad guys intending harm to me (or others).

Anyway, anecdotes don’t justify, they illustrate. If you want to justify carrying a weapon, look to the hazards you might possibly encounter, weigh the possibilities of you being able to protect yourself with and without a weapon against your desire to exercise your right to protect yourself, responsibilities incurred by carrying, and decide if carrying is right for you. In the end , it’s just a personal choice that you have the right and responsibility to correctly make. The choice is justified by your percieved need and your right to do so, nothing more. Nothing more is necessary, imo.

To me personally, its usually too much of a PITA to carry. Several people that know the areas I work in think I’m crazy not to. Fine, they can lug around a heavy thing that snags on stuff at every turn and ends up covered in sweat in the 100 degree heat … if they want to. I’m taking the chances I prefer, and they take theirs.
This is not to say that I am unprepared, nor that others choose to carry unnecessarily in the areas that I frequent. I simply prepare differently, and in a way that might not be right for them.

just to get back on topic, another "out of the ordinary" one with a bad guy about to do harm (a 2-for 1 really.) ... from 1986. I quit working in bars a long time ago

A coworker was backing away and yelling my name, his name, and "it’s me" after he pulled a gun on me. … I came to my senses (it only took a second or so but that can be a long time). He would have been fully justified in shooting, no doubt in my mind at all about that. Recognizing his voice "brought me back" after his pistol caught my attention. I don’t think either voice or gun would have done the trick alone, but there’s no way to know, and I had him cornered. Me being "out of it" wasn’t due to alcohol or drugs, if that’s what you’re thinking. I was "on" adrenaline and whatever other natural juices were dumped into my bloodstream after getting mad … He came up immediately after I had been attacked by a few bad guys in the parking lot of a bar where I was spinning records. (The only reason they had given for the attack was that they didn’t like the music I was playing. I was unarmed to begin with, only one of them had a pistol. I also remember a tire iron and a knife, but not much else. I think the other two were unarmed but I've never known for sure. Memory of the actual fight is sketchy because I blacked-out during it.)

Last edited by animal; August 4, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old August 5, 2010, 01:11 PM   #54
Southern_guy

It happened to me scarcely two days ago. I was driving to my grandfather's house late at night, having been at a party. I was supposed to stay at his home for the night, then take him to a doctor in another part of the state.
The house is rather isolated, surrounded by a chain-link fence, and he owns several dogs.
I had assumed my parents (who had told me of the plan) had told my grandfather I was coming. As they say, "assume makes an ass out of u and me." Even worse, I had shaved my head, was wearing a backpack with my clothes in it, and since I was planning on doing some shooting later the next day, had a rifle strapped to my back. All that had rather altered my silhouette.
So when I opened the gate and drove inside, the dogs began barking like crazy. I drove to the house and saw my grandmother looking out of the window at me. I waved, and when she left the window I assumed (there's that word again) that she was going to the door to unlock it.
When I walked to the other side of the truck, my grandfather was aiming a Glock at me.
After I spoke up, he recognized my voice and we both had a nervous laugh.

Lesson to be learned from all, this: Don't assume anything.
Old August 11, 2010, 12:49 PM   #55
siggygirl

Hi guys. Unfortunately, yes. I have a different but very common story in one form or another for a woman. Husband number one pointed a loaded revolver at me in the woods and asked me if I was scared. He turned out to be in the early stages of schizophrenia. Husband number two just thought it was cute to post a picture of him pointing a gun directly at the camera (and hence, me) right in front of the toilet in my bathroom. After divorcing this guy, I now shoot his preferred make and model of handgun. I like it. Feels right.

Last edited by siggygirl; August 11, 2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old August 11, 2010, 11:30 PM   #56
MO. Shootin

Thats funny siggygirl. His make and model gun. Of course I have never been devorced.
Old August 12, 2010, 01:26 AM   #57
siggygirl

It is funny. To me anyway. It might actually be his gun for all I know. He sold it after the divorce to a local dealer at a gun show. And I bought it from an overpriced place up the street. It's got the tapering on top of the slide, toward the front sight, like the old re-tasked military ones do. Feels very very familiar. Without checking registration, which I don't have the capacity to do, I'll never know. But if there is some kind of karma in this universe, it's his gun.
Old August 12, 2010, 03:00 AM   #58
siggygirl

Last edited by siggygirl; August 12, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old August 12, 2010, 03:15 AM   #59
animal

Sorry if I touched a nerve there.

Last edited by animal; August 12, 2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old August 12, 2010, 03:20 AM   #60
siggygirl

Nah, it's good. I actually laughed a bit. I've spent the last 8 months in ranges a few times a week so my skin is tougher anyway. I enjoy that kind of stuff once I know people are decent underneath. And it doesn't take long. We trade guns, shoot awhile then they seem to want to tell me their life story. It's all good. I'd never know these people otherwise so I think it's a unexpected surprise to add to the joy of shooting.
Old August 12, 2010, 03:52 AM   #61
animal

Cool. Good to hear that.
There’s a group in my area that was started by women for women. Cops and others were glad to help them out with training and such.
If there isn’t a group in your area and you’d like one, you might consider starting one up.
They call themselves LAWS (Lauderdale Association of Women Shooters) .. "Lauderdale" is the County. I’m pretty sure a quick google would yield contact information and I’d be willing to bet they would be happy to help you out with tips and such if you wanted to start a group like them.
Old August 18, 2010, 07:27 PM   #62
jbowes89

When I was a about 16 or 17 years old me and about five or so of my other friends were sitting under my neighbours garage porch and a guy drove up at the end of his driveway and the passenger got out with a red bandana around his face with an AK or SKS type rifle and just pointed it at us, we all just stood their dumb-founded and all of a sudden my ears were ringing and I was deafened by the extremely loud concussion of a .357 mag snub nose being discharged right next to my ear under a porch which made it much worse.

Apparently while we were all standing there looking stupid my friends dad had enough wit to go grab his own gun and fire one at the guy, the guy jumped in his truck and they peeled off like a bat out of hell. It all happened really fast, and the guy who pointed the rifle at us was a rival gang member of the son of the man who shot at him, and supposedly they used to be friends until he joined a rival gang.
Old August 18, 2010, 08:38 PM   #63
ClayInTx

Long time ago walking along a railroad.
Guy about 100 yards away pointing a rifle at me.
I dropped over the embankment and ran.
Never figured out why he was doing that.
Never went back to ask.

Passed a guy who evidently wanted to be in front.
Four lane street, he on right, me on left.
Pulled alongside at a red light with a revolver pointed at me.
I made a quick and illegal U-turn.

Shot at on the freeway.
Busted my windshield.
Had their tag number and a fairly good description of the occupants.
Been some freeway shootings.
Cops said they had no leads.
Called the cops.
They didn’t want to hear me.
Old August 24, 2010, 11:08 AM   #64
bdturner

I have had it happen twice in 18 years as a LEO. The first was while a rookie. I went to a 911 unknown. When I arrived I didn't hear anything. I knocked on the door and a drunk man rushed out with a .38 snub nose in hand pointed at me. As I drew my gun I yelled Drop it! as I brought my gun up he put his to his chest and pulled the trigger shooting himself.
Several years later I was responding to a domestic trespass call before I arrived the person left. I met him on the highway and turned around to stop him. I called dispatch and told them I had the suspect and was doing a stop. I pulled him over and got out of the car. I walked up to the drivers side and noticed the window was already down. I did a text book approach to the driver as soon as I got up behind the drivers door a 30-30 barrel was pointing at me. I took two shuffle steps back to get out of his line of fire. As I drew my pistol the rifle fired. He had taken his own life. Later that night I got to hear the 911 call. While I was pulling the guy over he called 911 on a cell phone and told them he was being pulled over and that he was going to kill me. 911 had never told me.
Old August 24, 2010, 01:02 PM   #65
MonsterB

Wow Bd, wow!!! Good to hear you are still around to tell the story, sounds like both instances could have gone bad in a flash. Hopefully that never happens again.
Old August 24, 2010, 01:29 PM   #66
Amin Parker

My family has large turnover business in a dangerous part of South Africa. The following is documented by the SAPS and i have stood trial for the 8 shootings, 2 fatal and all of them have been judged as justifiable.

Most of the events have been during robberies.

9mm pistol when i was about 6 years old. 38 snub on 2 occasions. Taurus 9mm, guy fired at me until slide lock, i didnt realise his gun was empty and shot him twice with my 357, he expired on the scene.

Feg walther copy, not sure of calibre. 32 cz 70. I have been at the wrong end of a 1911 twice, on one of these occasions the robber was shot and killed with a 22.

I have been stabbed 3 times, once in the face.

I have even experienced a malfunction once while shooting to save my life. It was a Glock 21 and i will never carry that brand of weapon EVER again.

For all my years i have depended on one brand and model of auto loader, my beloved and trusted battle proven Browning High Power. The 357 and 22 were hideout guns that were place strategically.

Oh and a Smith 357 or 38, could not confirm as police took the firearm and all i could see was the smith logo.
Old August 27, 2010, 06:14 PM   #67
Eagle0711

Twice. Both times when 18 years old. The first time me and a friend had shoveled snow for 2 bucks an hour. The boss said that his bro. would pay us and we drove to that address and asked this old man about it. He said I'll be right back, and he was with a snub nosed revolver. He was shaking like a dog passing peach seeds pointing the gun in our face. We left. But for some reason, probably young and stupid, it didn't scare me. The second time we were stealing corn out of a field about 2:00 AM. when the porch light came on." I no yer-all isa steelen Korrn. Boom and you could hear the pellants or rock salt hittin the corn. We ran like scalded cats and never went back.
Old August 27, 2010, 09:11 PM   #68
essohbe

Lol. Two stories from me:

Once, my friend was shooting my AK for the first time. After the mag was apparently emptied he started to spin around with it. Well, guess where I was. It would've been aimed right at me but I had a feeling about what he was about to do, one of the intuitive moments, so I grabbed the barrel and burned the $h!+ out of my hand but I'd rather have a blister than an AK pointed at me that "might" not have one in the chamber.

This other time, I was working outside and heard yelling coming from behind the garage. There's a tavern and a 6ft fence between us so I walked back there and when I stuck my head over the fence there was about 7 or 8 cops with guns drawn in my general direction, lol. They saw me and kinda moved. They had some guy stopped in a van but he was standing close to where I would be behind him in the line-of-sight from a few of the officers.
It seemed pretty routine and none of them or the guy were very excited or anything. Everyone was being calm. I was kinda hoping for a hollywood style shootout but it didn't happen.
Old August 28, 2010, 09:53 AM   #69
vel525

Wow, lots of cops and girlfriend's dad pulling guns on us. If I ever have a daughter I am sure I will pull my gun on some guy at some point so I can't blame the dads

About 5 years ago I was playing golf (in a public city course in Chicago) with three buddies. We were on the 17th hole getting ready to tee off when this guy walks up and starts talking. BG said, " Can you guys do me a quick favor? Empty your pockets." I was standing closest to him and he had the gun (Glock 17 or 22 I think) pointed at me. It was kinda funny though because we emptied our pockets and a bunch of golf balls and tees came flying out He then proceeded to tell us to empty our golf bag pockets. He grabbed the stuff (cash, wallets, phones) and walked to the street where his buddy in a car was waiting. Apparently, he robbed two guys at an adjacent hole before us.

So we finish our round, file a police report, and go to the club house to tell them what happened. The guy at the club house says, ya the same thing happened a few weeks ago. I thanked him for giving us a heads up.
Old August 28, 2010, 02:51 PM   #70
TylerD45ACP

What an idiot. He didnt warn you about a potential deadly situation. Same thing for the LEO who over the radio the BG said he was going to "kill you". I think dispatch should have let you know.
Old August 28, 2010, 03:03 PM   #71
ChrisWNY

I personally haven't had a gun pulled on me, but my father did 4 or 5 years ago while we were visiting family at their cabin in the middle of the countryside in NW PA. My father was riding around on a 4-wheeler (ATV) and took a wrong turn about a mile away from the cabin, he had to turn around in a driveway and head back the way he came. Apparently, the guy who owned the property wasn't happy that someone entered his driveway, so the guy jumped in his white pick-up truck and took off after my father, chasing after him, pick-up truck vs. ATV. The guy in the pickup truck was brandishing a revolver, waving it at my father all the way up the driveway of the family's cabin.

Now I don't know what PA's laws are regarding brandishing firearms, but there's no way what this guy did could be considered legal. My father was shaken up, he had been minding his own business, and did absolutely nothing wrong by turning around in someone's driveway; my uncle (who owns the cabin in NW PA) was furious, could not believe the audacity of this guy to chase someone down for turning around in a driveway, then doing the same thing himself, chasing someone all the way up someone else's driveway a mile down the road while threatening him by waving a revolver in plain sight. Fortunately, he deescalated the situation and no one was harmed. We just refer to the guy as the "angry enraged hillbilly in a white pick-up truck".

Last edited by ChrisWNY; August 28, 2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old August 28, 2010, 03:18 PM   #72
TylerD45ACP

Thats sounds more like a criminal action to me. He should not have a firearm in his hands, EVER. Thank god you guys weren't hurt, your name for him is defintley justifiable lol.
Old August 28, 2010, 03:38 PM   #73
ChrisWNY

Definitely agree, Tyler. This guy was a lunatic. He made up a BS story when my uncle confronted him, blabbering some crap about kids doing damage to his pavilion in weeks prior, which was his reason for pulling a revolver and chasing my father. My father was a 60 yr old adult, not some 18-yr old punk kid on a dirt bike. Somehow I doubt this guy even had a legit PA pistol permit, most who go through the permit process read up on the laws, take the basic safety courses, and know to never brandish or pull a firearm unless the situation is life threatening. If the area in NW PA wasn't so remote, I would have brought the Sheriff into the matter. At the very least, the guy would've lost his permit, and his firearms would have been confiscated (the world would've been better off). I'm sure jail time could've been a possibility as well. We go to the cabin every Summer holiday, I haven't seen the guy up there since that incident, maybe someone told him to get lost and he listened.
Old August 28, 2010, 03:51 PM   #74
TylerD45ACP

Hope so. With actions like that he will lose his permit sooner or later I just hope no one gets hurt. Like you said you questioned if he even had a legit permit I was thinking about that as well. I completley understand about the remote area aspect I wouldnt have called them either, most likely. If it was a more populated place like you said then police would get a call. Either way Im glad you and your father are safe, and steer clear of that pyscho lol. I dont think I need to tell you that.
Old August 28, 2010, 04:03 PM   #75
watebo

I've been robbed at gunpoint 3 times and would not wish that on anyone. The only perp the police caught was the last ones (two guys). We gave descriptions to the police and they knew who they were. One guy looked like Johnny Fever on "WKRP in Cincinatti". They were multiple offenders with records. We went down to court and testified. The police said they were going up for life.