The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 22, 2010, 11:25 AM   #1
COSteve

Conversation With CCI Tech About SPM vs SR Primers

I posted this on another site last summer and forgot about it. I happened to find my MSWord document of it so I thought I'd share. This is from a conversation on June 14, 2009 with CCI's tech dept.

I called not to complain about availability, but rather to discuss the technical differences between their primer types. I was put in touch with one of their tech reps who was very happy to discuss their primers. BTW, She mentioned that she had worked there 38 yrs and never seen anything even close to this kind of demand.

Then she said that they can produce 3 million primer per day flat out (which they are currently running) but have currently over 1 Billion back ordered. Unfortunately, that means that if all new orders stopped completely today. Everything; ammo, gov't, and component, it would take almost a year running flat out to catch up.

Anyway, I was asking about the cup thickness, formula differences, and formula amount differences between their #500 (SP), #550 (SPM), and #400 (SR). She had me hold a minute to get the detail specs up on her screen and this is what she said.

Cup thickness: The #500 has a thinner cup than either the #550 or #400, however, both the #550 and #400 have the same cup dimensions (including thickness).

Flash powder formula: All three sizes use the same formula for the flash powder.

Flash powder amount: The #500 has a slightly smaller amount (3 micrograms) than the #550 or #400 which both have the same amount.

I asked if the SR primers could be used as an acceptable substitute for the SPM primers. She compared the #550 and #400 and then replied that yes, they appeared to have the same specs, same dimensions, same cup thickness, same formula, and same amount of flash powder. She even noted that the SPM primers were slightly taller than the SP primers and were spec'd the same dimensions as the #400.

I asked if she knew any reason not to just use SR primers for both magnum pistol and rifle applications based upon that information and she said that many there only bought rifle primers and used them for all their reloading, magnum or not. The only exception being for custom pistols where the thicker rifle cup contributed to misfires, which she said only occurred in custom race pistols.

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Buckaroo Banzai 1984
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert 2009
Old July 22, 2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Doodlebugger45

Very good work and I appreciate the info! It's something I have wondered about myself in loading for my 454 Casull. The reloading manuals make a big deal about using SR primers, but now I see that SPM primers are identical. I only wish you would have asked about SR BR and SRM primers. I noticed that I had quite a bit of unburned powder in the .454 when I used IMR 4227. I switched to SRM and it seems to have helped that issue. But these days, you can't always get what you want in primers so it's good to know exactly what the alternatives are.

I also have spoken with the techinical people at CCI and it's really a pleasure to find out what they know.
Old July 22, 2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Wow. That's really helpful to know. Thanks Steve.
-The Architect
---
You do not HAVE a soul. You ARE a soul. You HAVE a body.
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old July 22, 2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Krieger9

Aye

+1 thanks.

Tasty data.
Old July 22, 2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Good to know. I am also surprised to hear the standard pistol primer is slightly shorter. I always thought all small primers had the same external dimensions, and the only large pistol and rifle were different. Perhaps they're trying to protect the thinner cup from piercing?
NRA Patron Member
Old July 24, 2010, 05:20 PM   #6
tom_pixel

CCI 400

Good to know this as I was about to call CCI tomorrow , as I am getting back into reloading 9mm and 38 S&W. Local gun supply handed me a box of CCI 400 primers ah ok but after reading my new Speer reloading book they reccomend the 500. I wasn't sure if there was a difference in dia or ?
...tom
Old July 24, 2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Quote:
The only exception being for custom pistols where the thicker rifle cup contributed to misfires, which she said only occurred in custom race pistols.
Quite the opposite of my perception. A lot of .38 Super "raceguns" get loaded with small rifle primers to disguise the signs of high pressure from the overloads commonly used to make Major Power Factor.
Old July 24, 2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Probably was talking about trigger and action jobs done by using weaker mainsprings. Back in the 80's, I put a Wolff spring set in a Dan Wesson revolver. It lightened the DA significantly, but it also misfired CCI primers routinely, afterward. It could ignite Federals successfully, but eventually I put the original mainspring back. I just didn't trust it, otherwise.
NRA Patron Member
Old July 24, 2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Jim Watson

19 lb 1911 mainspring (23 GI) fires small rifle primers in my Colt 9mm.
Revolvers are more sensitive.
Old July 24, 2010, 08:16 PM   #10
TXGunNut

She may have been thinking about PPC revolvers. Most have a very light hammer strike and can't use CCI primers, usually WW or Federal. Been out of that game for awhile, things may have changed.
Cool conversation, sounds like she really knows her stuff. Thanks for passing it on.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 24, 2010, 08:35 PM   #11
draggon

So the SPM and the SR are identical primers. just labelled differently for marketing?
Old July 27, 2010, 09:28 PM   #12
tom_pixel

CCI 400

Local shop gave me 400 Hmm book says use 500 , so wrote Linda at CCI and her response was for my 9mm :
CCI 400 primers are not the correct primer for 9mm Luger. They are a
small 'rifle' primer. The bottom thickness is thicker on a rifle primer, they are a hotter primer and are also taller in size than a pistol primer.

The correct primer is a CCI 500, Small Pistol primer.

Linda Olin
CCI/Speer Technical Services
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501

fyi ....te
Old July 28, 2010, 04:20 AM   #13
draggon

We've agreed that the SP (500) and SR (400) are different but the question was whether the SR (400) and SPM (550) are identical?
Old July 28, 2010, 05:36 AM   #14
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggon
question was whether the SR (400) and SPM (550) are identical?
It sounds to me like the CCI tech is saying they are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSteve
I asked if the SR primers could be used as an acceptable substitute for the SPM primers. She compared the #550 and #400 and then replied that yes, they appeared to have the same specs, same dimensions, same cup thickness, same formula, and same amount of flash powder. She even noted that the SPM primers were slightly taller than the SP primers and were spec'd the same dimensions as the #400.
Of course you can't believe everything you hear from the manufacturer. Just ask around here if WW231 is the same as HP38 or if WW296 is the same as H-110.
Old July 28, 2010, 06:51 AM   #15
draggon

That was my take on it.
Old August 4, 2010, 02:10 AM   #16
escard

the technican from CCi says "primer cups of #550 and #400 are identical"!
But how would the tech-rep explain the fact that I have a S&W that does in DA-mode fire #550 primed cartridges steadily (100 of 100) while the same loading, yet primed with the cci #400 results in one or two misfire(s) per cylinder?? That means 1 out of six/2 out of six are badfirings/misfirings !!!
I do not give anything on such "technical help" because I did my own testing (in reality, not theory).....
Old August 4, 2010, 09:23 AM   #17
WESHOOT2

possible vs potential; testing, as always, required

I use primers this way: What works best?
Is it RELIABLE?

Is the load MORE or LESS accurate?

Are ballistics immproved?

I rarely (I mean real rare) use Small Rifle primers in my pistol loads; I have many, but rarely use them.
Old August 4, 2010, 10:11 AM   #18
resugun

CCI Primers

Originally posted by Unclenick

I put a Wolff spring set in a Dan Wesson revolver. It lightened the DA significantly, but it also misfired CCI primers routinely, afterward. It could ignite Federals successfully, but eventually I put the original mainspring back. I just didn't trust it, otherwise.

I installed a Wolff kit in my Dan Wesson as well and routinely fire .180 grain loads with CCI primers without ever having a misfire.

Last edited by resugun; August 4, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old August 4, 2010, 01:04 PM   #19
Unclenick
Staff

Mine was in the 1980's. If yours is more recent, they may have remedied the problem.
NRA Patron Member