The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 21, 2010, 03:01 PM   #26
oneounceload

Quote:
You never know when you might need more then one pistol and I wouldnt feel safe without carrying all three on my person.
Really...........what town do you live in where the threat is THAT severe? I want to make sure i don't visit there, sounds like the zombies have already taken control........
Old July 21, 2010, 03:08 PM   #27
raimius

Personally, I'd go for variety before carrying all my pistols. Let's face it, most of us don't run in to situations calling for lethal force very often! I don't know about the rest of you, but my belt and pocket space is limited. Phone, wallet, knife, keys, flashlight, pen, notebook--they get used fairly often. A pistol or two, I can see. Why carry 3 pistols and skip OC, if you are going to be lugging around that much stuff?
Old July 21, 2010, 04:02 PM   #28
usaign

The amount of weapons and type carried in the United States depends upon three factors. The first factor is how much money you have. Weapons, permits, etc. cost money and are not cheap. The second factor is, of course, your local laws. The third and most important factor is the Chief at your local police department. In most states, the determining person is usually the Chief at your local department. The Chief is usually the guy who signs off on all the paperwork. In a place like Chicago, you will never ever see someone get a ccw permit. In fact, Im not sure they even exist there. However, lets say you are out somewhere in a small town in Texas or somewhere in the south where the Chief is an elected official then you will be able to carry whatever you want.

Finding places on your person to carry weapons isnt an issue and lets say you accidentally flash one of your weapons. In a place like Chicago, thats an issue, but in the ole town in Texas or someplace like that it doesnt matter since everyone is carrying anyway.
Old July 21, 2010, 04:06 PM   #29
threegun

Usually one main gun.....either Glock 21,30, or 19. If two I toss my airweight in my pocket or my kel-tec P-32. I do carry a knife a Cold Steel Tanto Voyager folder or one of my Daltons or benchmades.

I reserve my AR's, 1100's and full sized fixed blade knife for the zombies.
Old July 21, 2010, 04:07 PM   #30
stargazer65

^^Actually Texas isn't a great place to flash your gun, I've heard. Don't they frown on open carry and printing?
Old July 21, 2010, 04:07 PM   #31
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
"One is none, two is one."
LOL if 2=1 and 1=0, then 2=0.

The quote is nonsensical. Yeah, I have heard the whole spiel several times at Thunder Ranch and it is still a stupid claim. As it was explained so patiently to me, it means that if you have 2 guns and 1 goes down, you still have 1, but if you have 1 gun and it goes down, then you have no guns.

Apparently, this assumes that you can't have 2 guns go down, but if you have 2 and 1 goes down and then you only have 1, then according to the mantra, you really have none. See, nonsense.

It is a silly way to tell people to carry a spare.
Old July 21, 2010, 04:11 PM   #32
threegun

A+ I agree and You passed your math exam LOL.
Old July 21, 2010, 04:14 PM   #33
stargazer65

Well, if both 2 and 1 are zero anyway, I'm not gonna carry at all. I can run faster without the extra weight.
Old July 21, 2010, 05:17 PM   #34
usaign

How many guns you carry is also a function of where you live...most of the United States is still mostly rural areas and remote backwoods roads. The other night I traveled 30 miles along a remote road at 1am. What if I broke down along the way? Carrying 2-3 weapons gives you some piece of mind. Those who find it a little silly to carry a few weapons may want to drive along 50-100 miles of roadway where there is nothing on either side except for a few farmhouses every 10 miles or so. In these areas the cops may take a few hours to get to you even with full lights and siren going.

I will drop you out in a remote rural region of Louisiana for a few hours and then you tell me how many guns you need. People come up missing all the time in these rural areas and some of them are athletic muscular guys who just suddenly go missing. Imagine if you are an interstate truck driver who has to sleep on the side of the road or go from state to state hauling expensive loads. If you were an interstate trucker, how many guns you going to carry?

2300 people go missing in the United States each day. Now compare the missing person list with the casualty list in Afghanistan. How many guns you going to carry?

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/c...missing/2.html

Think about why the concept of "open carry" exists in some parts of America. Open carry exists to help those out in midwest areas where they have to work out in the open or for truck drivers carrying a load along a remote highway where the police are 100s of miles away. If you drive a load through Minnesota, believe me...you want more then one weapon in the event someone hijacks the load. Driving with an expensive load in a remote area is just like wearing gold and walking around a really bad part of town.

Last edited by usaign; July 21, 2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old July 21, 2010, 05:58 PM   #35
Wildalaska

Quote:

How many guns you carry is also a function of where you live.

So how many guns should I carry in Alaska?

Wildmorethanthe1/2idoAlaska ™
Old July 21, 2010, 06:07 PM   #36
DiscoRacing

Quote:
So how many guns should I carry in Alaska
With all the bear attacks i hear about.... I would say one 454 snubbie, one 460xvr, one 500 magnum...and plenty of extra ammo for at least two of em.
Old July 21, 2010, 06:21 PM   #37
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

The police chief has nothing to do with how many guns you carry.

Let's not post legal speculations if you don't know it to be true.
Not everyone carries in TX - if people persist in posting baloney, this is over.

Also, this one is going down the usual path.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old July 21, 2010, 06:32 PM   #38
Rich Miranda

Quote:
How many guns and other weapons do you carry? Ayoob says to carry two...
I carry a gun; an SP101 or an SR9c. I sometimes carry a folding knife along with that, but not always. The only other weapons I ever carry is my brain and my body; both can be formidable weapons, especially my brain.
Old July 21, 2010, 06:46 PM   #39
Rich Miranda

usaign, I respect your right to have what whatever opinion you so choose, as well as your choice in carry arms and number. However, I do find your last post to be a little sensationalist and alarmist.

Yes, we know that dangers do exist, and 99 percent of folks on this forum either carry (at least some of the time) or wish they could. But IMO your numbers are alarmist. 2300? How many of those turn up healthy and well? And let us not forget there are over 300 million people in America. Even if the 2300 number is accurate, that's just .0000076 percent of the population. Nevertheless, that is too many and we should be smart and prepare. But there is such a thing as overkill.
Old July 21, 2010, 06:54 PM   #40
Rich Miranda

Quote:
The amount of weapons and type carried in the United States depends upon three factors. The first factor is how much money you have. Weapons, permits, etc. cost money and are not cheap. The second factor is, of course, your local laws. The third and most important factor is the Chief at your local police department. In most states, the determining person is usually the Chief at your local department. The Chief is usually the guy who signs off on all the paperwork. In a place like Chicago, you will never ever see someone get a ccw permit. In fact, Im not sure they even exist there. However, lets say you are out somewhere in a small town in Texas or somewhere in the south where the Chief is an elected official then you will be able to carry whatever you want.

Finding places on your person to carry weapons isnt an issue and lets say you accidentally flash one of your weapons. In a place like Chicago, thats an issue, but in the ole town in Texas or someplace like that it doesnt matter since everyone is carrying anyway.
Based on your first sentence above, it seems like you came here to edu-ma-cate us. If that's the case, at least post something that resembles truth and reality, and not just what you imagine it to be.

I don't know Chicago, but I know Texas. What firearm I have on my person - and when I have it - has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than the laws in the State of Texas.
Old July 21, 2010, 07:33 PM   #41
orionengnr

Just one handgun (although it is a good one, generally in .45 cal) and a folding pocket knife that I actually use as a tool several times per week. No flashlight, no baton, no cell phone , no BUG.

Quote:
If you were an interstate trucker, how many guns you going to carry?
Probably one on my person and one in the truck.

Quote:
2300 people go missing in the United States each day.
Not sure I'm buying that one...unless "missing" includes "he went to buy a pack of cigarettes and didn't come back" kinda like my dad did 40 years ago or so
Old July 21, 2010, 07:43 PM   #42
rickyjames

hey, i watched every episode of the a-team and they had bunches of guns and fired hundreds of shots and no one ever got killed, it always came down to hand to hand combat. so for my backup i want mr t, and i pity the fools.
Old July 21, 2010, 07:43 PM   #43
Stevie-Ray

Generally 2, a Kimber .45 UCDP primary and a P32 BUG. If up north where it's wilder, it's a Glock 29 and the P32. At times, it's just the P32, but that's extremely rare in cooler weather, a bit more now. Folding knife is a Buck Mantis which is often, always a Leatherman Micra and a little NRA folder, which is just about the handiest knife I've ever had.
Old July 21, 2010, 07:46 PM   #44
coldpointcrossing

Usually carry my CCW with extra mag. Always have a pocket knife and small light. That's about it in a nutshell.
Old July 21, 2010, 08:00 PM   #45
geetarman

I know it will come across as heresy, but I honestly feel that when the day comes that I feel the need to carry a gun, everything that society stands for will have been lost.

I do carry a gun when traveling by car but not at any other time.

To think that we would be having a thread talking about everyday multiple weapons as everyday carry is, to me, a sign of severe paranoia.

It really does not resonate with me that I need to be armed to the teeth to venture outside.

Geetarman
Old July 21, 2010, 08:12 PM   #46
coldpointcrossing

Even though I can't agree with you geetarman, I truly like the way you think.
Old July 21, 2010, 08:19 PM   #47
NRALIFER

That's "The Draft Dodger's Blues" Kingston Trio I think.

I carry a pistol IWB or pocket and a spring assisted CRKT 2" blade. Also awareness, escape etc.
Old July 21, 2010, 08:25 PM   #48
CDFT

Wow, that 2,300 missing people a day shrinks to 243 if you only look at adults they have reason to believe might be in danger or may not have disappeared voluntarily (only 447 if you consider all adults; only 21% of these cases are adults). Don't you love it when people try to lie with statistics?
Old July 21, 2010, 08:32 PM   #49
usaign

Geetarman,

You can't change human nature and the only way to keep our society free and without violence is through widespread gun ownership. The government can't protect us all the time and there has to be some deterrent against radical and violent behavior. There are highly publicized shootings almost every year that could have been stopped or deterred if everyone was carrying a weapon.

Think of all the shootings you see on the press that could have been stopped if the citizens surrounding the incident had weapons. Carrying a weapon is essential to our freedom and the founding fathers saw that. However, for some reason, politicians dont see that today and as a result the gangs and other violent criminals carry weapons while the honest law abiding citizens have no access.
Old July 21, 2010, 08:34 PM   #50
howwie

One gun. One small knife. One wallet. One cell phone. G19 in the cool weather. P3AT and an extra mag in the hot. As far as rural areas go I am in the middle of one. I go for plenty of walks in the deep south with 2 less than 3 guns. I have never even felt the need for an extra mag where I live. On occasion where I feel it could be necessary I've carried an extra mag, but that's rare. Being prepared is one thing but I'm too weak for all that weight.

...plus, after putting on my AK, kevlar vest and machete the BUG just seems like too much