The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 20, 2010, 09:59 PM   #1
ADB

How much compromise is there really in a light barrel versus heavy barrel?

Assume that we're talking about something like a DPMS in .308. How much change is there between a light barrel and a heavy barrel in terms of accuracy, particularly for longer distances? How many people here choose to go with a lighter barrel, whatever the caliber, to save weight?
Old July 20, 2010, 10:18 PM   #2
David_S

I have a heavy barrel Sako M995 in 6.5x55 which shoots 0.5 MOA consistently. I also have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 7x57 which shoots 2 MOA.

When I go hunting I almost invariably take the Winchester because it is a pound or two lighter and the country I hunt is steep and I am usually humping camping gear in as well as the rifle. For some strange reason the chamois and deer which we hunt don't seem to know the difference between 0.5 MOA and 2 MOA - they drop to both rifles.

However over 250 yards or when target shooting I prefer the Sako.

David
Old July 21, 2010, 02:19 PM   #3
sonrider657

The biggest difference is the rate of heating and cooling. A heavy barrel will heat up more slowly (and consequently cool off more slowly) which is good for heavy rates of fire. Unless you are doing a lot of blasting, I would go with lightweight.
Old July 21, 2010, 02:23 PM   #4
KMG5402

I can't testify to any testing. Although I would think you'd get more vibration and movement with the normal barrel, resulting in less accuracy.
Old July 21, 2010, 02:45 PM   #5
lt dan

one of the advantages i can think of is recoil. just received my 300H&H custom with a HEAVY barrel. the rifle with scope weighs in at 12.5 pounds. it is a 26 inch barrel and the crown of the barrel is .7inch. i had long distance shooting with knock down power in mind when i had this rifle build.

took a springbok with a neck shot at 320m (349yards) and a blue wildebeest head shot at 260m (284 yards) over the weekend. i also intend to use this rifle when we harvest game for the export venison market. then i must be able to take up to 30(per harvester) animals a night, so it helps if your barrel doesnt get to hot to fast.
Old July 21, 2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Dave R

What sonrider said. Theoretically, heavy barrel is no more accurate than light, but is likely to hold zero and groups better as it warms.

My varmit AR is heavy, and I can shoot it a lot without heating. And it stays on target. My lightweight heats much faster. I have not compared groups from the two as they heat.
Old July 22, 2010, 08:33 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Heavy barrels maintain point of impact better than light barrels, when shooting longer strings of fire. E.g., prairie dogs or 10-round strings in competition.

No reason that I know of for light barrels not to give very tight three-shot groups in a hunting rifle. Even my skinny Minis would hold 1.5 MOA for three shots--which is close to a pencil-barrelled Weatherby's one MOA for three shots and its opening up after that. Half-MOA for three shots from a sporter-weight barrel has pretty much been a standard for me for a long, long time.

But eons back I had a heavy-barrelled Swift which gave five-shot 3/8 MOA groups, and I could generally hold it to around 5/8 MOA for ten.