The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Adeodatus

How clean is clean?

hey, newbie reloader here.

im cleaning out my primer pockets for .357mag brass and i would like to know how clean is clean? i saw some vids on youtube saying all i need to do is a quick twist with the pocket cleaner tool and your good to go. however i try this method and there is still crap all gunked up in my brass pocket. so now im here with toothpicks scrubbing out the brass. does the pocket really need to be all shiny clean or can it have a lil bit of gunk and not be a problem? so far it has taken me 3 hours to clean 50 primer pockets. oh and the brass belonged to my grandpa and has been sitting around for a while, if that is a factor.

thanks a bunch.
-Adeodatus
Old July 20, 2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

All you need to do is remove enough gunk so that the primer will seat correctly. A lot of people don't even bother cleaning primer pockets for handgun ammo.

Even going a little over-board, I can clean the pockets in rifle cases in a second or two.... mount the tool in a cordless drill.
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old July 20, 2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Adeodatus

thanks a bunch. man this makes things easier!!!!!
Old July 20, 2010, 10:52 PM   #4
reloader28

I do it in a drill same as Peetza, but only about every 6 or so loadings for pistols. I trim and anneal at the same time.
Old July 21, 2010, 07:26 AM   #5
dardascastbullets

This is always an interesting question! There are two schools of thought on this subject - one is to clean and the other is not to clean. I shot with Larry Rackel (he won the Wimbleton Cup in 1964, and shot for the Palma Team that went to South Africa in 1974 if memory serves me correctly and was a premier all around high power and smallbore shooter) for a long time. Well, he never cleaned his primer pockets! I remember him saying this one evening out at the range during practice. I couldn't believe it but it was the honest to God truth! And his groups were proof of what he professed. He very rarely dropped any points in the rapid fire stages and his standing scores were always up there too. He was always the man to beat and he didn't clean his primer pockets!

I myself used a Sinclair tool mounted in a drill motor. I felt more secure knowing that maybe I would have the edge on Larry. Maybe I did but then maybe I didn't!

Thank you Larry for making me the person that I am today!
Old July 21, 2010, 12:27 PM   #6
Ranger325

I've never cleaned a primer pocket on pistol ammunition - .44, .45ACP, .45LC, .38. YMMV.............
Old July 21, 2010, 01:30 PM   #7
THEZACHARIAS

As long as the primer seats properly, its all good. Ive heard two schools of thought on the matter. First, that you should clean until shiny, so all your primers are seated the same (consistency = accuracy yatta yatta yatta). Alternatively, ive heard that the residual grime (as long as it doesnt clog the hole) acts as a seal between primer and brass, containing the gases during ignition and making the powder burn more consistently from shot to shot (again, consistency).

My only hard fast rule is to clean it good if your going to use primer sealant so it has a clean surface to stick to.
Old July 21, 2010, 01:38 PM   #8
demigod

I've never seen any evidence of primer pocket cleaning producing any type of gain.

I've had them come clean when I messed with an ultrasonic cleaner for brass prep. But I've probably loaded 50 thousand or more rounds of ammo without cleaning at all.
Old July 21, 2010, 01:57 PM   #9
sserdlihc

When I tumble my brass, walnut media gets stuck in the primer hole. I will use a tooth pick to get rid of the media.
Old July 21, 2010, 05:51 PM   #10
HappySig

I have done it both ways, and I haven't noticed any difference and I have loaded over 5000 rounds. I used to lube, resize, deprime, wash, and then tumble my shells and the granular media that I used used to get stuck in the flash whole, but now I changed the sequence around and I tumble before I deprime and it seems to work very well.
Old July 21, 2010, 07:42 PM   #11
sserdlihc

Quote:
I used to lube, resize, deprime, wash, and then tumble my shells and the granular media that I used used to get stuck in the flash whole
Flash Hole!! That's it! I called it a primer hole. I just couldn't think of the right words. Thanks HappySig
Old July 21, 2010, 07:55 PM   #12
demigod

I tumble before AND after depriming since I deprime and decap on the same die.

Walnut media is punched out with a dental tool as needed..... Although I'm half tempted to test fire some stubborn walnut flash hole jams to see if it effects function.
Old July 21, 2010, 08:07 PM   #13
ZeSpectre

Quote:
Although I'm half tempted to test fire some stubborn walnut flash hole jams to see if it effects function.
It can...don't do it (you know, not that I've ever made a mistake like that or anything <grin>)
Old July 21, 2010, 08:22 PM   #14
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I can barely clean my house...much less a primer pocket....

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old July 21, 2010, 09:02 PM   #15
TXGunNut

My house is a mess, I'm too busy cleaning primer pockets.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 21, 2010, 09:31 PM   #16
GP100man

I hit em a lick as I remove em from the press on a nail I fashioned to scrape out the crunchy stuff.
Old July 22, 2010, 09:08 AM   #17
demigod

Quote:
It can...don't do it (you know, not that I've ever made a mistake like that or anything <grin>)
I read a post on one of the forums where a guy said he had a round fail to ignite because of this..... I just have a hard time believing that such a powerful little explosion could be completely stopped by a pissant piece of walnut media.
Old July 22, 2010, 04:12 PM   #18
Berry's MfG

It's like cleaning the heads on your truck every week, i've got better things to do. I've heard the arguments but have seen no evidence to support accuracy either way.
Old July 22, 2010, 05:04 PM   #19
Doodlebugger45

I have only cleaned primer pockets on handgun brass one time (other than when I first bought the nifty little tool). For some reason that I can't recall, I had some extremely dirty pockets on about 40 of my 45 Colt brass. I went ahead and did those. All the others though, I figure if I can see through the flash hole, that's good enough. For my rifle loads though where I am trying to find the ultimate accuracy (within reason), I do clean them but that is only 20 or so cases at a setting.
Old July 23, 2010, 08:09 PM   #20
James R. Burke

I have the RCBS staition that does the turning for you. So I get it all out. I know you dont need to be that fussy but with a machine it's easy.