The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 20, 2010, 02:58 PM   #1
B. Lahey

LCP vs. Seecamp... For Me the LCP Wins

I wanted to be a Seecamp nerd with all of my heart, but my actual experience with the two pistols has destroyed my lovely notions of Seecamp supremacy. The below is my personal tale of two pocket popguns, your story may be different.

Seecamp LWS32
Was unreliable out of the box. Some messing about with lubes and cleaning discovered that when spotlessly clean and lightly lubed with Ezox, I could get the failure rate down to about 2-5%. The failures were nearly always failures to feed of the "3 Point" type, where the tip of the projectile contacted the top of the chamber, the brass came to rest on the little feedrampy area, and the base of the round came to a halt low on the breechface. Then something in the trigger mechanism broke, causing a "failure to do anything other than act as a paperweight" malfunction.

So I sent it back...

Months later, Larry Seecamp, the man himself, worked on my pistol, supposedly. He seems to have fixed the "3 Point" malf problem, but left the pistol with entirely new problems. Now the pistol fails to feed by feeding the round too high, and lodging the round against the top of the end of the barrel in the ejection port area. Also, when out shooting it the other day, the friggin' slide popped loose. It came up off the little slide retaining nub causing a bizarre humpback-pistol malfunction.

Yes, I have always been using the advised ammunition. Silvertips, Q4255 FPFMJ, and Gold-Dots; all problems happen with all ammo, except the humpback malf as it only happened once, with Silvertips. But my pistol slightly prefers the Q4255 in general.

LCP
No problems. Feeds everything, every time. The slide stays firmly attached to the frame at all times. It is a light load to carry and I shoot it well. I'm not bad with the Seecamp, but the LCP works better for me, and is much less painful to fire. And it's a .380. I have nothing against the .32acp, but if the .380 works and is easier to shoot, I'll take the .380.

It should be obvious which pistol rides in my pocket these days...

Anyone want to buy a Seecamp?
Old July 20, 2010, 03:12 PM   #2
flight954

Yep, I also had Seecamp problems that put all pocket semi's on hold for me. Now that 380 ammo is becoming readily available again I'm looking at a Keltec
Old July 20, 2010, 03:43 PM   #3
B. Lahey

Quote:
looking at a Keltec
I had a P32 that I sold to buy the Seecamp. What a bonehead move, that little bugger fed, fired, extracted, and ejected everything I stuffed in the mag, every time. I bought another P32 that I gave as a gift, and that one has been flawless as well.

But re: .380s, I guess Keltec is more hit-or-miss. I like my LCP; it's the same thing but made by a company with a better reputation for functionality.
Old July 20, 2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Wildalaska

and here I have never had a failure at all, in over 8 years

WildbrendancalllarryagainAlaska ™
Old July 20, 2010, 03:46 PM   #5
PSP

It's always a bummer to have high expectations, then have reality fall short of those high hopes. I'm a Seecamp fan and have used one for decades without the problems you faced, but if I had, I'd feel exactly the same.

I've sampled the Ruger, graciously loaned to me by fellow range users, and was pretty impressed overall. Should my Seecamp ever go kaput, that's where I'd lean probably, and go to the nearest shop to buy one.

Good luck with the Ruger.
Old July 20, 2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Catfishman

Isn't a SeeCamp much heavier than the LCP or 3AT. That is a big drawback for a pocket gun.
Old July 22, 2010, 06:28 PM   #7
RickE

Check out the Taurus TCP also. Love mine!
Old July 22, 2010, 07:39 PM   #8
AK103K

I have two Seecamp LWS32's, an LCP, and I had a Kel Tec P32. I've had the Seecamps the longest, and never had one problem with either. Both are accurate (and at distances you would not normally expect), and reliable.

I just got the LCP a little over a week ago, but with around 300 rounds through it so far, its been just like the Seecamps, so it looks promising. The little nubs for sights are nice, but not really necessary. The trigger isnt bad either.

I got my Kel Tec when they first came out, and it wasnt very reliable or accurate. It had feeding issues, as well a problem with the hammer not "letting off" when the trigger was pulled. I didnt keep it long.

As far as size and weight, the Seecamp is smaller, and felt weight doesnt seem to be much different than the LCP. Comparing the quality of the two, its kind of like comparing an old VW Beetle to a BMW. Both work, but ones definitely a little classier.
Old August 12, 2010, 07:57 PM   #9
dgludwig

Quote:
Comparing the quality of the two, its kind of like comparing an old VW Beetle to a BMW. Both work, but ones definitely a little classier.
I like the wrist watch analogy: Rolexes and Timexes both keep good time but...
Old August 12, 2010, 10:44 PM   #10
Chesster

I bought my Seecamp 32 when the 380 came out and the demand/price dropped on the 32. Never had a problem with it. But I'm sure every manufacturer lets a lemon slip by now and then. Sooner or later, someone here will cuss the LCP, Keltec, etc. I had a Keltec 32, great little gun, just not suited to fit in my old arthritic mitt. Had an early Tomcat that was a waste of time and money, a Beretta lemon.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old August 12, 2010, 11:26 PM   #11
BradH

I bought a Seecamp LWS-25 when they first came out with them and before the 32 was born. It has been a decent pocket pistol for many years. All the LWS guns were meant as belly guns and they do that fairly well. My 25 has actually been pretty darned reliable. Sighting along the top rail (no sights) I can do about a 3-4 inch group at 10 yards. I don't think that's too bad. Back in May I purchased a new LCP and am extremely pleased with it. Some bright pain on the sights and I can consistently shoot 2" groups at 10 yards. It also seems to feed everything I've given it. Too much range time can be a bit punishing on the hands though. I practice enough to stay proficient but practice more with my 9mm and 45 as I carry them more. The LCP in the right "wallet" holster goes great with a suit and tie! The Seecamps extra weight for me isn't as comfortable in the same scenario. Flops around too much.
I've had Rolexes (yes real ones) only to be very disappointed. They don't live up to their image. I bought a new BMW in 2005. What a piece of junk. My wife made me get rid of it after only 2 1/2 years. So much for quality images.
Old August 13, 2010, 05:12 AM   #12
sonnycrockett

I have heard complaints on both guns
and PLENTY on the LCP feed ramp......

SeaCamp is a really nice piece but too spendy and too heavy for my
pockets
Old August 13, 2010, 11:46 AM   #13
B. Lahey

I sold my Seecamp, my buddy at the gunshop can deal with the additional service returns, I am well done.

In my experience, if a company does not fix your gun the first time, it is highly unlikely they will fix it the second or third time either. This has happened to me numerous times. I am not going to waste months upon months building up frustration and bile when I could just dump the useless clunker and spend the money on something I will enjoy...

Like this weekend's minivacation to Lake Michigan where we will attempt to consume our body weights in fine food and beverage while staying in pretty nice hotels. That worthless popgun will provide this, as they hold value even when profoundly defective.

Quote:
I like the wrist watch analogy: Rolexes and Timexes both keep good time but...
I wear a Rolex, but it has little in common with a lemon Seecamp. The lemon Seecamp does not "keep time", the Rolex does.

And when my Rolex needed service they fixed it the first time.
Old August 13, 2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Bigjim3

Never any problems with my seecamp or my lcp.. But I pick the Seecamp becouse I just like it better.. Thats just me.. others may disagree...
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old August 14, 2010, 11:59 AM   #15
Wildalaska

Quote:
Like this weekend's minivacation to Lake Michigan where we will attempt to consume our body weights in fine food and beverage while staying in pretty nice hotels. That worthless popgun will provide this, as they hold value even when profoundly defective.
Call me when you are in your cups, I will sell you my Seecamp, it works.

Send me real bagels.

WildlovethewayyoudroptherolexinthereyouarmedyuppyyouAlaska ™©2002-10
Old August 17, 2010, 12:24 PM   #16
B. Lahey

Quote:
Send me real bagels.
What makes you think we have real bagels in Indiana or Michigan? Maybe Chicago, but even that is a crapshoot.

The Seecamp provided a nice little vacation. So much more enjoyable than owning a nonfunctioning pocket gun.

Old August 17, 2010, 06:00 PM   #17
AK103K

Quote:
So much more enjoyable than owning a nonfunctioning pocket gun.
Hey, if it doesnt work, dump it and dont look back. If you made enough selling it to make out, even better, but thats not usually the case, or at least for me it hasnt been. Almost to a T, they all were usually a beating.

I've had my share of them too, the last just recently, being a SIG P238 (first SIG I've ever had troubles with). I've also had a number that everyone raves about, and they too were dogs and were quickly dumped.

None of them are exempt from an occasional lemon, and some are good for having bushels of them. From personal experience, multiple Seecamps havent been either. Wish I could have said the same for the others. Sorry to hear yours was, but hey, thats the way it goes sometimes.

Now that I've had it a little while, my LCP is still OK, but just OK. Its really not doing anything for me my Seecamps havent already done all along (other than its caliber), so at this point, its probably going to go the way of other things that just didnt do it for me, even if it works fine. Nothing really wrong with it, its just ...meeehhh.
Old August 17, 2010, 06:54 PM   #18
ttheel

Love my LCP. Had it for nearly a year and have had zero malfunctions with it. With today's modern ammo the .380 is a pretty good option especially in such a small incredibly light weight package. It is the easiest piece to conceal I have ever owned.
Old August 17, 2010, 09:25 PM   #19
ChihuahuaTN

I can identify with your story completely. Let me start by saying I have (3x) .32 LWS's and two LCP's they are both excellent pistols. I recently had issues with new production ammo Gold Dot and WWB ammo, I have never any problems in the past. The Seecamp's have tight design parameters with little room for slight ammo variations over the production years. I have come to determine that if the manufacture changes slightly any ammo dimensions it may not function in the .32 Seecamps. Currently my Seecamps eat up all Hornady .32 XTP's and always have hence why I have gone back to that carry that round. The "old timers" on the Seecamp forums prefer this round and I agree.

On the other side of the coin I see frustration from many new owners of Seecamps pistols because they have a very tight ammo tolerances and are constantly looking for the "correct ammo". My brother in law, told me recently why would I invest in a Seecamp when the LCP is much cheaper and digests all brands of ammo and weights less. Can't argue that point! Seecamps in my opinion are excellent pistols but are not "beginner" guns if I can use that bad analogy. Your going to have to find specific ammo for function, and have meticulous maintenance. The LCP is larger and not the same "level" of quality compared to the Seecamp and those are the trade offs. I carry my Seecamp's often because they conceal better in my back pocket compared to my LCP.

They are both excellent guns and I feel honestly feel the LCP at this point in the game is best "overall" pocket guns when you factor in weight, size, cost ect. They are $279 at AIM right now. One thing alot of people miss about the the LCP is the recessed mag release, this is a plus lefties out there such as myself.
Mike
Old August 18, 2010, 07:57 PM   #20
Ace_Breaker

I'll start off by saying I've never owned or fired a Seecamp. My LCP is an absolutely flawless shooter, lightweight, and as accurate as a pocket gun needs to be. I have no reason to spend more money on anything else when I have a perfectly performing little handgun already. I have polished the feedramp and had the barrel and slide covered with cerakote to give it some rust resistant capability. Seecamp does have a decent reputation though. Taurus-yah, sure, ain't going to happen.
Old August 22, 2010, 07:51 AM   #21
mrt949

I carry a SEECAMP it is my EDC. Owned all the kel-tecs.gave them to the kids.The SEECAMP has double strike if you need it . Now one else has it.Something to think about.
Old August 22, 2010, 10:38 AM   #22
Ace_Breaker

I've never had an issue where double strike was necessary when using good quality ammo in decent handguns. I don't normally carry cheap ammo in my guns either. All my handguns have Federal Tactical or Speer Gold Dots for practice and carry. Double strike is an absolute non factor.
Old August 25, 2010, 07:51 PM   #23
JTod

B. Lahey - I assume your Seecamp was a current production pistol? I read that early guns had more issues than current - something to do with CNC machining. I am interested to know since I've been thinking about getting a NIB .32 Seecamp...

Tags
lcp , seecamp