The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 21, 2015, 10:37 AM   #1
BarryLee

GA SB 49 Repeal of No Duty to Retreat

As many of you may know last year the Georgia legislature passed legislation that restored many firearms related freedoms. Well, true to form anti-gun crusader Vincent Fort has submitted Senate Bill 49 to repeal the no duty to retreat protection for Georgia citizens. Yes, I realize this Bill may have limited chances of passing, but I caution everyone not to get complacent. The enemy is hard at work attacking our freedoms, so it’s important we stay engaged. Call, write, email your Senators/Representatives and let them know that you oppose this legislation.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...get-a-foothold

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/...20152016/SB/49
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 21, 2015, 11:14 AM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Fort's just trying to stay in the limelight. His last piece of gun legislation was an attempt at a state-level ban on "assault weapons" proposed immediately after Sandy Hook. Given the anemic set of co-sponsors, I'm not too worried.
Old January 21, 2015, 11:21 AM   #3
SPEMack618

Well, this will certainly generate a call to a fraternity brother of mine.

Thanks for the heads up.

Even if it has no chance, it's nice to let your elected state rep know that gun related bills are always monitored.
Old January 21, 2015, 11:48 AM   #4
BarryLee

Quote:
Given the anemic set of co-sponsors, I'm not too worried.
Again, I agree the Bill has little chance, but not sure I would call the co-sponsors anemic. The Senate Minority Leader Steve Henson has signed on to the Bill and while he doesn’t have the power/influence of the majority party the local media will most likely provide he and Mr. Fort plenty of coverage. This may not even be a serious effort to implement more gun control, but an opportunity to influence public opinion for a future where they hope to have more power. So, it seems important to let the legislators know how we feel and if nothing else it keep those channels open for future fights.

Quote:
Even if it has no chance, it's nice to let your elected state rep know that gun related bills are always monitored.
Yes, I think it is important to let the legislature know that we are and will remain engaged. Also, if you do contact your Representatives be sure to thank them once again for their support of last year’s legislation.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 21, 2015, 04:55 PM   #5
357 Python

In my opinion people who support "duty to retreat" care more for the street thugs, murderers, rapists, and home invaders than they do the victim of their crimes. They are no better than the criminals themselves. They need to honestly name that bill, "The Thug Protection Act".
Old January 24, 2015, 01:54 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Show me a single legislator who has ever been in a situation where a "Duty to Retreat" law would affect them personally, AND who still supports such a law, and I'll give you my next pension check!